Working on my sniping technique

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been an avid (once or twice per week) prospector for about two years and have had some great success here in Northern California. My biggest find to date is a 7.3g nugget. Typically though I just get some flake with a couple chunky pieces.. anyway.

I just recently purchased a snorkel and mask to try my hand at sniping. I've only had about three hours in the water and I was wondering if maybe I am being too rough when I swipe my hand over cracks to move material out of the way. I have yet to find anything when sniping. I may be looking in spots that have already been cleaned out i'll admit, but I wanted to get some feedback on the best way to push / swish/ swash material around when under water. Will even the slightest of movements push gold out of the cracks? I would think not but wanted some feedback. Thanks for reading! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Well obviously when your sniping or as we called it 35 years ago (fanning) if your finding the heavies such as lead shot your doing it right.Dosen't matter how hard your working,if the yellow isn't there you won't find it.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I work super hard, pulling loads of material with my hands.
I work the material so hard that I have to wear gloves.
Regular nitrile gloves last one or two trips but offer the greatest dexterity and super thick rubber welding gloves from Harbor Freight usually only last about 20-30 trips but have next to zero dexterity.
I also remove the felt from inside the welding gloves as its more of a PITA than a help once its wet.

I try to cover as much area as I can, if I find gold I will go through my tailings piles one to two more times as I do move finer flakes into the material that I am trying to move.
Pickers and Nuggets first, fines last.

If I come into an area that has a lot of fines I will work it with any one of my favorite pans (Garrett Gravity Trap, Le'Trap and Pyramid Pro.)

Like Dave said, if you are not finding gold then its not there, move on.

OP
OP
H

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I appreciate the feedback.

About the gloves.. I hear you. I went through a basic neoprene pair my first time out. I bought a $40 pair of 'kevlar' gloves but I am pretty sure they are not made with real kevlar as they are already starting to show some wear after the first trip using them.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go as cheap as you can on the gloves as you will go through a lot in a season.
Keep a couple sets on ya in case you rip through one pair.
I keep both the Nitrile and Welding gloves on me because sometimes I need the extra dexterity of the nitrile gloves.

A lot of the time I will wear a Nitrile glove on my left hand and the welding glove on the right and if I am not pulling huge amounts of material then I sometimes leave my left hand ungloved.

I cant wait for Friday. :D

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nitrile gloves in bulk pack at Home Depot :D

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fanny pack on your belly with sniping long handled tweezers,crevice tool,sucker bottle,steel pill bottle for finds and a screwdriver rock. I carry my underwater camera also just in case. To see what your doing just put a big BB sized dab of toothpaste on your mask,smear all over,rinse good and put on and fog free for many hours AND ya smell that minty fresh smell instead a snot,buggers and dirty water. All kidding aside it helps to reduce germ lode and reduce infection around your nose from body fluids ,nasty water critters you stir up-John

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very True John, I don't know how many times I have gotten a sore throat and runny nose after sniping because I use spit in my mask instead of toothpaste.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
After I get done using my dredge and get it home. before I store it, I use Listerein mouthwash in and on the mask , and into the air lines. then the openings for the compressor and lines are capped off .

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Basically one can carry all their tools in a simply made drawstring bag.this is how I use to do it...cut off a leg from an old pair of jeans at the knee..sew up the bottom at the hemline...punch some holes a couple of inches below the cut off all around the material...insert an old shoelace or such...easy to transport.

OP
OP
H

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the advice all.

I didnt even think about the bacteria that will breed on my mask on a nice sunny day lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread