Some Sluicing & the Blue Bowl in action

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Then here is a picture of Frank Sullivan who has the Blue Bowl patent and who makes the Blue Bowls at his workshop taken yesterday.
F & M.jpg

Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed your back, u have a vid on rigging], which is really good, laughed on a couple of comments ya made

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YAHOO ol'Frank REALLY looks retired now---sooooo cool but was such a great business,we lost a monument to mining when Pioneer closed-John

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Frank retired but Pioneer is still open and being run by his daughter Heather and her husband John. It just moved up the street into a smaller shop after the mining economy was destroyed by the green cronies.

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed kinda the same concept with a second stage to catch any fine gold that exits the blue bowl as what i built.

Looks nice AZ :) I should have the finished video in a couple weeks with the vibration, hopper & everything in operation.

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Reed....ya mean to tell me frank has the molds and is doing the injection molding in his little shop? Tough job???

He doesn't do the injection molding himself but he owns the mold that costs around $10,000.00 and has the blanks made. He does the drilling, tapping, sanding, cutting, waxing, polishing & finishing along with mounting the legs and valve in his shop. It is a lot of work bringing the finished product to market.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Reed sorry to hear of the accident, but with all bad comes something good, congrats to you and your new bride:thumbsup:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He doesn't do the injection molding himself but he owns the mold that costs around $10,000.00 and has the blanks made. He does the drilling, tapping, sanding, cutting, waxing, polishing & finishing along with mounting the legs and valve in his shop. It is a lot of work bringing the finished product to market.

Reed that sounds like a lot of work to finish even one bowl let alone hundreds of bowls. Hope at the end of the day there is a good profit margin. With the new 3D printers that are out these bowls could be made with no machining but the cost to build them would be out of this world. 3D printers can print in metal or high impact plastics. The photo below is a 3D printer that prints a very smaller layer from the bottom up and continue laying layer upon layer. The gears you see on the left were all made within a 3D printer and were made as one entire unit that cannot be taken a part, but the gears all rotate on the axles. The bicycle frame was made in a much larger 3D printer and the frame is made of space age metals that are very strong.

Maybe some day the speed of these printers will allow for production but right now they are used for modeling and prototyping. As for the Blue Bowl this would be a very easy build as the threads for the water inlet are printed. As I said no machining period.

3D.jpg 3D bicyle.jpg

Last edited:

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010

Well Reed...My father used to make his own molds and get about 10-12 bowls out of a set of molds...then he finally had the set of molds made Frank bought...after his death in 92....I myself built many of these bowls...any bad bowls that came from the vender that needed mold trimming or bad color, or just anything wrong were sent back to the vender. My father made a jig to hold the bowl in a drill press so that the tool my father made drilled, tapped and cleaned the thread start all in one shot. Then flip the bowl onto another jig to drill the 3 leg holes, take a valve and screw it in, take 3 leg wires and squeeze them together to fit the holes. Done Im sure Frank has these jigs. As the orders went out they were heat stamped with the date and # of bowl. So I don't know what sanding, cutting, waxing, polishing and finishing needs to be done, unless he has a different vender injecting them for him and he his just dealing with the bad ones himself. I think it was AZViper that told me he had got a bad one.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well Reed...My father used to make his own molds and get about 10-12 bowls out of a set of molds...then he finally had the set of molds made Frank bought...after his death in 92....I myself built many of these bowls...any bad bowls that came from the vender that needed mold trimming or bad color, or just anything wrong were sent back to the vender. My father made a jig to hold the bowl in a drill press so that the tool my father made drilled, tapped and cleaned the thread start all in one shot. Then flip the bowl onto another jig to drill the 3 leg holes, take a valve and screw it in, take 3 leg wires and squeeze them together to fit the holes. Done Im sure Frank has these jigs. As the orders went out they were heat stamped with the date and # of bowl. So I don't know what sanding, cutting, waxing, polishing and finishing needs to be done, unless he has a different vender injecting them for him and he his just dealing with the bad ones himself. I think it was AZViper that told me he had got a bad one.

Hefty1 I did tell you that. Bought my Blue Bowl off of eBay in March of 2013 and arrived very unfinished. Lots of fine hairy polyurethane fibers and some mold seam to be worked on. You were very surprised when I told you my bowl was new due to the molding on the top edge said D.A.M Industries of which you said this was your fathers business and you were not aware this name was still be used. The video in this thread I posted is the Blue Bowl I received. Looks okay now but was not what I was expecting in quality on arrival. No clue who the vendor was or the name of who I purchased the bowl from.

D.A.M..jpg

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep he still uses the same jigs but I think he told me many years ago that he has them made in bulk and got 50 at a time shipped in but that could be from a vendor anywhere and I think he mentioned China back then. Then he said the other day that he trims, polishes & coats them, and that if they are in too bad of shape that he sends them back. We didn't talk too much on it because we were talking about everything else as usual and Karen, my wife was there and we were all having a good time. I still use one of the old blue D.A.M. bowls that I was given many years ago at times :)

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice to see Jack Black working in the first video at 4:15 down on Hollywood Blvd. :D

Thanks for posting the vids and glad to see you back at it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions