Sound Impossible?

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

I have a funny story to tell you all today. I was in a planning meeting for our troop. We were planning for outings and one of them happened to be gold mining. Sadly it was not voted in, but one of the kids had a story to tell us about his gold adventure. I say there waiting to hear what it was. Here is the conversation (not word for word but it's the bases of what he said)

Person: "my uncle goes gold mining and he took me out once. We went to where he usually goes and I got 500 dollars worth of gold."

At this point I'm a skeptical. In today's prices that's around 9-10 grams of gold. I thought to myself that I needed to find out more.

Me: "where did you go?"

Person: "the river"

Me: "ok...........what did you use to get the gold?"

Person: "a pan....just a pan."

Ok by now he's talking out of his rear, but wait it gets even better.

Person: "I dug a hole about 10 or 5ft."

At this point I'm talking to the guy next to me saying there's no way this person could of done that. It's impossible to do that unless you found a great hole and was extremely experienced. But then again it could be luck. I was still a little open minded till I asked the next question.

Me: "how long did it take you to get all the gold you got?"

Person: "one hour"

Me: (whisper) "oh god"

Me to the guy next to me: "I've been out six times and have only found 100th of a gram."

Well that's about it. I couldn't get any more questions out of him as we had to move on. I wanted to get more after the meeting but his dad was there. I kept my mouth shut. I felt I needed to share this. I also heard from my mom that the family likes to exaggerate a lot. I figure he found SOME gold, but not that much.

Thanks for reading this quick post,
H&F909ORO

Upvote 0

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
he sounds like one of the annoying kids that are half the reason I stopped doing scouts

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hes a younger person. I'm sure most of us in those days always spiced up our stories. Not like this I would presume.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
He's a kid if you showed him this he would probably say it was worth a million:laughing7:

Attachments

• 11.53 grams 004.JPG
    11.53 grams 004.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 71

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's always nice when people can make a fishing story out of prospecting. :)
At least he knows what it is and hopefully will do more with it.

lol okbasspro!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I don't know. I find prospectors to be the font of honesty and from a kid well that just makes it more so. So innocent they can not lie. I'm quite sure he found the gold in the river and easily dug a hole that was 10 to 5 feet deep while recovering 500 in gold with a pan. Now uncle, dad and grampa on the other hand..... ;)
Good story :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread