Power clips on highbanker to wall outlet?

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battery charger plugged in to wall and running the 12v pump. A battery inline will act as a buffer.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, you gotta trickle charge it anyways.

You could also purchase a 120v pump from harbor freight and use that when at home.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could buy a converter that plugs into the wall to go from 120V to 12V, they are sold at hobby shops that sell RC cars and planes. Just make sure what you know how many amps the pump draws and go a little over that for the 12V converter.

OP
OP
S

Sluiceguy42

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the comments! AZViper, I'm planning on running two 800gph pumps, so would the charger in the picture work for two? I really know nothing about batteries and chargers. Each 800gph pump is 3 amps.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the comments! AZViper, I'm planning on running two 800gph pumps, so would the charger in the picture work for two? I really know nothing about batteries and chargers. Each 800gph pump is 3 amps.

It would be borderline. You would be better off with an 8 or 10 amp charger. If your throttling the pumps down the pumps will draw less amps. Pumping full capacity they are drawing 6 amps.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

It will work provided it really delivers the stated AMPS. Read the reviews and read what others have to say. Check with Walmart, O'Reilly Auto Parts on chargers.

Personally I would just buy this power supply, POWER SUPPLY Its cheap and will handle the load. All you do is cut off the small 12VDC plug. Go to Ace Hardware or Home Depot and buy these, ALLIGATOR CLIPS. Once the plug is cut off you will need to strip the black outer casing back 6 inches. You will find two wires, these wires could be a number of colors but one of the wires is positive and the other is negative. The red alligator clip goes on the positive lead and black alligator clip goes on the negative wire. If you reverse in DC the pump will run backwards but you will net hurt the pump. Just reverse the wires and the pump will run correctly. Most likely the wires will be white for negative and either black or red for positive, but again it could be any colors.

If you plan to run your highbanker in the field on batteries then buy the charger as you will be able to use the charger to charge the sealed lead acid batteries, and the charger to power your pumps at home. This may be a better choice. Again read the reviews that customers have left. Charger

All the chargers on Amazon. Find something you like, read the reviews, then check locally if someone has it.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hooking up a charger will work but you cannot over amp it or it will die. A battery inline acts as a good buffer but all of this is a hassle if you are doing this on a regular basis. Of the many possible ways, the easiest is to just get a AC pump. If you are on a budget you can salvage a pump and motor out of a washing machine. Done that, works good.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hooking up a charger will work but you cannot over amp it or it will die. A battery inline acts as a good buffer but all of this is a hassle if you are doing this on a regular basis. Of the many possible ways, the easiest is to just get a AC pump. If you are on a budget you can salvage a pump and motor out of a washing machine. Done that, works good.

If he using a 10 amp charger and the pumps are pulling a max of 6 amps he has lots of room. He already has the pumps. Read post 8...

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read the posts, I know what he is doing.
You cant argue that simply plugging in an AC pump is a better and easier way.
For the cost of all the battery chargers and power supplies you are suggesting he could just go buy a AC pump and not worry about needing tech support to hook it all up.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read the posts, I know what he is doing.
You cant argue that simply plugging in an AC pump is a better and easier way.
For the cost of all the battery chargers and power supplies you are suggesting he could just go buy a AC pump and not worry about needing tech support to hook it all up.

Sure its better. He already has two DC pumps. Maybe he does not want to invest in two AC pumps. The power supply I suggested is much cheaper than purchasing more pumps. Furthermore maybe he's looking at the charger to use on lead acid batteries once he takes his highbanker into the field or thinking of having a charger to use on vehicles. Either way its his choice.

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It doesn't sound like the gentleman is a great do-it-yourselfer when it comes to electrical things, so I personally think his best option is get a cheap 120v - 12v converter that he can plug into the wall then hook to his pump without any other equipment needed.

But for you guys that ARE handy with electrical things, if you are wanting a good cheap power supply to replace a battery or make a good and powerful electroplating outfit, a good solution is an old power supply out of a desktop pc!

The 12V rails will provide a 150 watts or so in even the cheapest power supplies. This amounts to around 12 amps @ 12v approximately. Don't forget however that most pumps that say 12V mean BATTERY 12V which is actually around 13.8V, while the PC power supply is an ACTUAL 12V. So at 12V your pump might put out a small % less than it's maximum rating.

There are several bundles of wires coming out of the power supply. All the red wires are 5V and all the yellow wires are 12V. Simply cut off the connectors and bundle them together. All the black wires are ground (or -) if you are thinking of a battery.

Well you plug it in and put your device on it and hit the power switch on the back of it and ... nothing happens... lol.
Power supplies from a pc do not work unless they get a power good signal. That signal is supplied on the one lone green wire in the large bundle of wires that connect to the motherboard.

To make it kick on simply take the 1 green wire and wire it to any black wire! That's it.

I use a pc power supply for my electroplating. Works wonderfully. Basic electrical knowledge, skill and tools are all that is required. Have a happy day :)

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure its better. He already has two DC pumps. Maybe he does not want to invest in two AC pumps. The power supply I suggested is much cheaper than purchasing more pumps. Furthermore maybe he's looking at the charger to use on lead acid batteries once he takes his highbanker into the field or thinking of having a charger to use on vehicles. Either way its his choice.

I will see your $47 charger and tangle of wiring and raise you one AC sump pump rated at nearly twice the GPM of both of the DC pumps combined and only $5 more expensive.
It doesn't really matter what method you use to the same end, just no reason to do it the hardest way possible.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suggested a $13.00 dollar AC to DC 10amp power supply if he already has DC pumps. Others prior to me offered, chargers, power supply's, etc. A number of people have given him ideas, let him decide whats best for him. Considering nobody has a clue just what his intentions are at home or in the field.

It doesn't sound like the gentleman is a great do-it-yourselfer when it comes to electrical things, so I personally think his best option is get a cheap 120v - 12v converter that he can plug into the wall then hook to his pump without any other equipment needed.

But for you guys that ARE handy with electrical things, if you are wanting a good cheap power supply to replace a battery or make a good and powerful electroplating outfit, a good solution is an old power supply out of a desktop pc!

The 12V rails will provide a 150 watts or so in even the cheapest power supplies. This amounts to around 12 amps @ 12v approximately. Don't forget however that most pumps that say 12V mean BATTERY 12V which is actually around 13.8V, while the PC power supply is an ACTUAL 12V. So at 12V your pump might put out a small % less than it's maximum rating.

There are several bundles of wires coming out of the power supply. All the red wires are 5V and all the yellow wires are 12V. Simply cut off the connectors and bundle them together. All the black wires are ground (or -) if you are thinking of a battery.

Well you plug it in and put your device on it and hit the power switch on the back of it and ... nothing happens... lol.
Power supplies from a pc do not work unless they get a power good signal. That signal is supplied on the one lone green wire in the large bundle of wires that connect to the motherboard.

To make it kick on simply take the 1 green wire and wire it to any black wire! That's it.

I use a pc power supply for my electroplating. Works wonderfully. Basic electrical knowledge, skill and tools are all that is required. Have a happy day :)

LP13,

I was going to suggest using a power supply from a computer but thought that would be even be more complicated for those who do not have any knowledge of electronics or electrical. But for those who like to experiment here is the configuration for a 20 and 24 pin computer power supply.

Power Supply.png power supply.jpg

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well as I said in my post, for those that ARE technically minded and skilled with basic electrical projects, the PC power supply is a good and cheap power source for 5 and 12V

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never mind

Last edited:

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never mind!!! Just saw the key point of your thread... Concentrates. Does anybody else feel like a dip ****? Guess it's just me... Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread