Do i need to have a permit to carry visible side arm in Arizona & New Mexico?

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will be calling for clarification, but I thought that was our 2nd amendment right! I know u have to have a conceal & carry if concealed, but it will be holstered. Also I know that u can't discharge your weapon in BLM areas or be arrested. Concerned about mountain cats, & black bears.
Thanks for any info

Open is ok in AZ with some exceptions. Rattlers are a much bigger concern than bears and cats. Be sure to know the regs and do not depend on forum info. :-)

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Open and concealed carry are legal in Arizona without any permits or registration required.

There are no restrictions on "shooting in BLM areas" but there are State laws against shooting within 1/4 mile of an occupied structure, watering tank or highway. It is also against the law to shoot mountain cats, & black bears without a valid tag.

There have been 9 people killed by mountain lions in the last 100 years in the United States. You have a much greater chance of being struck by lightning on a clear day than being attacked by a mountain lion.

If you have a fear of black bears don't carry food in your pockets, don't bring food in your tent and don't play with their cubs and you will be fine.

Bring your pistol and carry it concealed or exposed - no one will care in Arizona but please don't kill the wildlife unless you are hunting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trust me, my intent isn't to go target practicing on wildlife. If by some off chance we were to run into a bear... We back out of area slowly without turning our backs to it. I know they will leave the area if they hear us, that they usually only attack if u sneak up on them and startle them or they have cubs. I just want to be able to protect myself if necessary. Anyways, thanks for the info.

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the two legged variety of "wild life" that gives me pause. You just never know anymore. Granted, most predators prey on folks in areas of higher population, but we carry hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of equipment, and sometimes we actually find gold. Better safe than sorry...and when it comes to going to jail for discharging a firearm, I would rather face charges than end up in the bone orchard, whether it be by rattler or crook.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weapons laws can be found for AZ and NM online~ as are most states.

I would not worry much about the wild life. In all my years bush in AZ I've never had to shot a snake and never had any problems with bears or cats. You can walk around and away from snakes and you'll be lucky to see a bear or cat. I've only ever had to fire my gun once and that was to scare off a pack of javelin. Javelin have poor eyesight and can be aggressive but they are also curious and not to be messed with if a pack comes sniffing around. Best to walk away from problems if you can.
Worried about snakes~ take a 22 and get some snake shoot. Be more worried about shaking your boots out at camp in the morning as its a fact scorpions will take up residence in them, centipedes too. Spiders can be brushed out of camp.

Worries of the two leg variety: Having an open weapon does not guarantee people will leave you alone. If working within 40 miles of the boarder... In AZ that's anywhere south of I-10.... expect to meet Boarder Patrol. Generally they are ok but like any agency they prefer to have the guns... not you. Run into desert walkers.. aka illegals... just walk away or around.
My thoughts.

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... I've only ever had to fire my gun once and that was to scare off a pack of javelin. Javelin have poor eyesight and can be aggressive but they are also curious and not to be messed with if a pack comes sniffing around.
What are 'javelin'?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Javelinas are not pigs, they are their own species. They travel in small family groups throughout the southwestern deserts. They have very poor vision but can move surprisingly quickly. The tusked males can be dangerous if cornered. They are good eating as long as you are careful of their scent glands when dressing them.

We hunted them from horseback in West Texas and New Mexico when I was young. I have seen a large (55 pound) male hamstring a horse when he was cornered and panicked. The javelina was good eating after a slow cook on a spit - the horse not so much. :laughing7:

Much like bears it is unwise to mess with them unless you are hunting them. Don't mess with their food or their young and don't harass them and they will do their best to avoid humans.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even though I'm a strong believer in the right of American citizens
to keep and bear arms, and although spent considerable time in
both, I never felt a need to carry a weapon when out in the forests
or desert.

First rule is to pay attention to your surroundings. Snakes can show
up in the strangest places, so always be on alert. If ya see one, then
walk around it..all it's doing is hanging out waiting for a meal of mouse
or other small critter to come by. Don't molest it's dinner time by
killing it.

Cougar's will almost always back down and run if you appear threatening
to them.

If it's more than an hour past sunrise, or an hour before sunset
the odds of you even seeing a bear or cougar are very small. If you're
in the woods, then pay attention to your surroundings.

If you have -0- experience in that kind of country, then bring along
someone who does.

Rule #1: Don't act like prey and ya won't be prey.

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Guys! All is explained ...

06-11_5886.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John, Javelina generally run in packs, so if you see one
then know there's more in the area. If you're in a wash
and see them coming down it, then get out and move
downwind of them. They can't see well at all, but have
great noses.

Your only real concern is if they feel threatened, as they'll
all attack at once, but that's not gonna ever happen if you
give them their space. If you see their tracks or poop laying
around, then just be watchful, and know they aren't out to
get you.

jbarker52

May 19, 2010
Watch out in New Mexico with firearms. I lived in Arizona and posses a South Dakota concealed permit. My South Dakota Permit is good in quite a few States,
New Mexico and Nevada are two I States I travel through where I am probably Illegal. Arizona is no problem, however If someone has a felony record they could have a serious problem in Arizona, or any other State for that matter. A Utah Concealed Permit is worth having as they are recognized in dozens of States.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never enter the desert or woods without gun, knife and lighter. I refuse to take a chance at being victomized especially if my kids are along.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
open carry is just that open carry --now the real question --do you need a permit to open carry in New Mexico and Arizona ?

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here anyone can open carry. But if you conceal you must have a permit. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread