insight needed

lucky313

Aug 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all

I'm so glad i found this site. My family is headed to CA in a few weeks and my 11 y/o and I have been looking forward to doing a little prospecting! We bought a BGT 30 inch sniper and a set of pans. I have a few questions i hope you all could help with. We are staying on the south fork of the american river near Strawberry for a few days then down to Yosemite and the Merced for a few days. Am I ok to do a little digging in the rivers them selves? Is there anyplace that you guys could recommend that we should try? (ie parks public land)

We are from the Ohio and have been practicing our sniper setup and panning in some of the streams here (we are near glacier till) and have been able to "produce" black sand, iron and some quartz. If we are able to produce black sand and heavies here are we on the right track?

Thank you for your feedback!

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auburn Recreation area-from strawberry/Cool- slager mine road down to Cherokee bar. On the divide Drivers Flats again in the rec area. Mariposa has the Bagby rec area on 49 north of mariposa or Briceburg on the way to yosemite has a rec area also. Do not miss Yosemite as the best a the best a the best but gotten expensive,I remember free. Dryer than a popcorn fart and no fire nowhere. Work the cracks and crevices and have a ball-John

OP
OP
L

lucky313

Aug 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys for the info. I was planning on getting to the Auburn Recreation area, but wasnt sure where to start so that really helps. Is there any place in Yosemite that you would suggest?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you guys for the info. I was planning on getting to the Auburn Recreation area, but wasnt sure where to start so that really helps. Is there any place in Yosemite that you would suggest?
Yosemite is a National Park and by law you can't even pick up and keep pretty rocks. Others may weigh in on areas outside the park.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PG & E Recreation Area Electra Rd
County: Amador
Watershed: Mokelumne River
Restrictions: Unknown
Additional Info: Public area starts about 2.7 miles from highway 49 when you reach the first restroom in the recreation area. Watch out for private property and exiting mining claims.
Website Google Map

New Hogan Fishing Access
County: Calaveras
Watershed: Calaveras River, Tributary
Restrictions: Hand trowels, pans and sluice boxes only. Prospecting is allowed in the main creek bed. No digging up creek shore. Metal detectors not allowed.
Additional Info: Creek typically dry in summer.
Website Google Map

Bear River Campground
County: Placer
Watershed: Bear River
Restrictions: No power equipment. Prospecting is allowed in the main creek bed. No digging up creek shore or around tree roots.
Additional Info: Free parking at day use area.
Website Google Map

Knights Ferry
County: Stanislaus
Watershed: Stanislaus River
Restrictions: Pans and hand trowels only. No metal detecting.
Additional Info: None
Website Google Map

Goodwin Dam Recreation Area
County: Stanislaus
Watershed: Stanislaus River
Restrictions: Pans and hand trowels only. No metal detecting.
Website Google Map

Campgrounds At Italian Bar
County: Tuolumne
Watershed: South Fork Stanislaus River
Restrictions: This is BLM property. Most legal mining methods seem to be allowed.
Additional Info: The public area starts after you cross the 5 mile creek bridge and goes on for about a mile. Watch out for claims. This road is a windy steep forestry road.
No Website Google Map

Auburn State Recreation Area
County: Placer
Watershed: American River
Restrictions: Panning, detecting and rock hounding are allowed. Please read the Auburn SRA brochure available in pdf format for additional information. You can download it by clicking here.
Website Google Map

Keysville Recreational Mining Area
County: Kern
Watershed: Kern River
Restrictions: Panning, sluicing seem to be allowed
Website Google Map

Merced River Recreation Area At Briceburg
County: Mariposa
Watershed: Merced River
Restrictions: Panning, sluicing and metal detecting. No power equipment.
Additional Info: Watch for existing mining claims. There is a brochure at the BLM website that shows existing claims along the river. You can download it by clicking here.
Website Google Map

///

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When will you be in CA and what areas area you going to be visiting?

OP
OP
L

lucky313

Aug 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill be in CA the 2nd and 3rd wk in sep. We are staying in near strawberry for a few days then to Yosemite for 4 days then camping north of SF for a couple nights before heading to Yellowstone for several days.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great trip! Be sure to protect yourself from the weather, wear a wide brim hat, drink plenty of water. Be sure to protect yourself from the local animals: rattlesnakes, Bears (they can open any cooler and even pull out car windows so no smelly food and no flavored chap stick), Buffalo, Elk (these and bears can sprint at 25 mph and you can't), if the animals are grunting then you are too close and had best give them more room as this will keep you out of a hospital (been in Yellowstone when someone did not obey this rule and the animal Stomped the person). Hope you and the family have a wonderful time!.......63bkpkr

BGT is a fine tool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions