Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A seasonal creek implies that there is little to no water available at least part of the year. If you can at least locate small pools you can do some sample panning to see if your area of activity has gold and if so go ahead and work it. If no gold move and try again. Recirculating water systems or dry washing are alternatives for the dry season but could be a huge waste of time and energy if the material is barren of gold so doing some sampling before setting up equipment is essential. Research the general area to see if there has been any past activity of placer mining. Most people today find gold where it has been found before. These are some pretty general ideas but it would take volumes to fully explain in detail. Good luck.

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply, arizau. This is an unpatented placer mining claim, so gold has been found in the seasonal creek before. It's bone dry right now. I have an idea of how I want to approach this, but am open to ideas. If possible, I don't want to walk away without some Au! I appreciate the comments.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detector,vacuum system or a drywasher-see drywasher section on this forum-is your only dry choices. Plenty of good choices but just because a claim don't mean it has gold as MUCH junk computer claimed and hustled to unwitting newbies-John

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
If you have visible bedrock break open the crevices and scratch out all the dry mud,grass gravel etc and put it in your sugar sack.Pan it out at available water or at home.Scratch all the bedrock with a sharpened screwdriver or such as small cracks and crevices are often covered and disguised by clay thats been covering the cracks for eons of time.

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detector,vacuum system or a drywasher-see drywasher section on this forum-is your only dry choices. Plenty of good choices but just because a claim don't mean it has gold as MUCH junk computer claimed and hustled to unwitting newbies-John

Thanks John. I'll check out the drywasher section. It's not my claim, but we have been given permission to go visit and look around. It should be fun!

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have visible bedrock break open the crevices and scratch out all the dry mud,grass gravel etc and put it in your sugar sack.Pan it out at available water or at home.Scratch all the bedrock with a sharpened screwdriver or such as small cracks and crevices are often covered and disguised by clay thats been covering the cracks for eons of time.

Good stuff! Thanks, Dave!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest to search the most typical locations where gold should fall out with whatever method you use to sample. This might give you a better chance at finding color. These would be obstructions to the flow (boulders, trees), where the streambed widens, just downstream of where a side canyon comes into the location you are investigating. Best of luck with your adventure!..................63bkpkr

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I work a seasonal creek every year and use a high banker and pump water from the river to extend the season.
This is a record dry year so I spent part of the summer on a friends claim on the river.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread