Waterproof footwear recommendations?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Waterproof footwear recommendations?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2014
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Waterproof footwear recommendations?

Can anyone suggest or offer recommendations on waterproof footwear when prospecting rocky creek beds? I've been using my fly fishing waders paired with Simms boots, but I just burn up and sweat my butt off inside 'em.

I've heard good things about neoprene type boots? Are these totally waterproof or is there an option where waterproof boots are made? What footwear are you folks using out in the streams, rivers and creeks when dredging, sluicing, sniping or prospecting for gold?

Charter Member
    us
    Jim Bowers

Mar 2013
    Hendricksville Indiana
    475 times
    Prospecting
    Look for neoprene scuba divers boots, with tread.

us
    My Hearts Desire

Nov 2010
    Camptonville, CA
    GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
    1294 times
    Prospecting
    if and when i dredge i will be wearing a wetsuit, snipping i do the same mostly for bump and bruise's prevention and the occasional butt plant, sometimes i use waders mostly when the sun starts setting more to the south, i have been using wetsuit booty’s and tennis shoes to wade across the river this summer, mid-thigh deep at best, been kinda sweet
    but the water is getting colder so may go with hip waders soon, find some kind of footwear with carpet, the last pair I had, had ribbed carpet for the sole, still can’t find any like the ones I had, cutting carpet and gluing to the shoe is a pain good luck
    The enemies of liberty will not rest, and neither can we.

us
    Jun 2013
    Indiana/Ohio
    Proline!!!
    175 times
    Prospecting
    Depends on the season for me
    In the summer it's boat shoes
    For spring and fall I have 2 sets of chest waders. 1 set is rubber for warmer weather and the other set is a thick neoprene for colder temps. Both have built in boots and the rubber ones just keep you dry but don't insulate.
    For very cold conditions I have 5 mm full wet suit with boots.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6667 times
    Dry feet without at least hipboots is a pipedream as all leak with flexing. Wet feet hurt nuttn'. The white felt bottom boots stick to rocks,slime and semi vertical surfaces like nuttn' ever made before-Love my Hodgman but yep toooo hot for summer use and wet feet helps cool ya off anyhow-John
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Dec 2013
    California East Bay
    243 times
    Gold Prospecting
    I usually go with Scuba diving boots. I bought some and they are great. They slip on and off really well. Got mine at a sports store for $45, I'm sure you can pick some up for cheap on craigslist or something. I would definitely recommend the scuba boots.

us
    Honorary Goonie

Jul 2014
    NH
    Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    1263 times
    Metal Detecting
    Right now I'm using some zip-up wetsuit booties with hard soles. They are adequate on the rocks, and quite comfortable. Aquachigger likes to use fly-fishing boots with two pair of socks, but I'll have to buy a new pair if I go that route because I refuse to beat the crap out of my new Simms boots. For what its worth, I like the wetsuit boots, and if I have to swim a little, they arent unpleasant or cumbersome.

With the wetsuit boots I use a pair of water-type pants from Ex-Officio, but any light nylon pant with a built-in brief will work. I also use some over-the-calf hunting socks along with the wetsuit booties, and tuck my pants legs into the socks. Its quite effective against leeches and other cooties, yet cool and comfortable at the same time.
    Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window.

May 2013
    2345 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post
    Can anyone suggest or offer recommendations on waterproof footwear when prospecting rocky creek beds? I've been using my fly fishing waders paired with Simms boots, but I just burn up and sweat my butt off inside 'em.

I've heard good things about neoprene type boots? Are these totally waterproof or is there an option where waterproof boots are made? What footwear are you folks using out in the streams, rivers and creeks when dredging, sluicing, sniping or prospecting for gold?
    Best pair I have found.
    VERY strong sole just like a hiking boot.
    They are NOT waterproof, but keep your feet warm and prevent the PAIN of rocks and cobbles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41Np7wqBV9L.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	1046561

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    30027 times
    I Perfer dive boots with hard sole bottoms and arch support. ..currently using a nice pair of Oceanic, they are getting old and worn, had for 4.5 years so may check those above out....
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Sep 01, 2014 at 01:36 PM.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10629 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick4gold View Post
    Depends on the season for me
    In the summer it's boat shoes
    For spring and fall I have 2 sets of chest waders. 1 set is rubber for warmer weather and the other set is a thick neoprene for colder temps. Both have built in boots and the rubber ones just keep you dry but don't insulate.
    For very cold conditions I have 5 mm full wet suit with boots.
    Wisdom!
    in decent weather I wear Teva river sandals with toe protection....current pair are several years old and showing their wear but still grip well. Chest waders in winter with wool socks too...whatever it takes so I can dig year round
    Jimmydolittle likes this.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6667 times
    Get some good water socks-think mini wetsuits for your tootsies ALWAYS wear them as keeps them toes toasty in ice water,like my newer suit also-John

Aug 2013
    East Bay, Northern Ca
    568 times

Name:	CAM00077.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	1047189
    Aufisher likes this.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4472 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John View Post
    Dry feet without at least hipboots is a pipedream as all leak with flexing. Wet feet hurt nuttn'. The white felt bottom boots stick to rocks,slime and semi vertical surfaces like nuttn' ever made before-Love my Hodgman but yep toooo hot for summer use and wet feet helps cool ya off anyhow-John
    some states (Missouri) are outlawing felt bottom boots in streams because the felt bottoms help transfer "stuff" from one stream to another! I got rid of mine and I really liked them!

us
    Dec 2013
    California East Bay
    243 times
    Gold Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    some states (Missouri) are outlawing felt bottom boots in streams because the felt bottoms help transfer "stuff" from one stream to another! I got rid of mine and I really liked them!
    Clean em' maybe?

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1870 times
    Prospecting
    If you use waders to try and stay dry, you usually end up sweaty and that is no fund at all.

My standard is like this...

felt bottom fishing shoes for traction and arch support on pointy rocks
    Baseball catcher shin guards so you can scramble on your hands and knees
    and the most stylish board shorts you can find... jump in and enjoy the water

Name:	20140824_120550a (Medium) (Small).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	1048218
    Fossil4Life, ALewis and 63bkpkr like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links