Waterproof footwear recommendations?

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone suggest or offer recommendations on waterproof footwear when prospecting rocky creek beds? I've been using my fly fishing waders paired with Simms boots, but I just burn up and sweat my butt off inside 'em.

I've heard good things about neoprene type boots? Are these totally waterproof or is there an option where waterproof boots are made? What footwear are you folks using out in the streams, rivers and creeks when dredging, sluicing, sniping or prospecting for gold?

Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if and when i dredge i will be wearing a wetsuit, snipping i do the same mostly for bump and bruise's prevention and the occasional butt plant, sometimes i use waders mostly when the sun starts setting more to the south, i have been using wetsuit booty’s and tennis shoes to wade across the river this summer, mid-thigh deep at best, been kinda sweet
but the water is getting colder so may go with hip waders soon, find some kind of footwear with carpet, the last pair I had, had ribbed carpet for the sole, still can’t find any like the ones I had, cutting carpet and gluing to the shoe is a pain good luck

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depends on the season for me
In the summer it's boat shoes
For spring and fall I have 2 sets of chest waders. 1 set is rubber for warmer weather and the other set is a thick neoprene for colder temps. Both have built in boots and the rubber ones just keep you dry but don't insulate.
For very cold conditions I have 5 mm full wet suit with boots.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry feet without at least hipboots is a pipedream as all leak with flexing. Wet feet hurt nuttn'. The white felt bottom boots stick to rocks,slime and semi vertical surfaces like nuttn' ever made before-Love my Hodgman but yep toooo hot for summer use and wet feet helps cool ya off anyhow-John

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually go with Scuba diving boots. I bought some and they are great. They slip on and off really well. Got mine at a sports store for $45, I'm sure you can pick some up for cheap on craigslist or something. I would definitely recommend the scuba boots.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right now I'm using some zip-up wetsuit booties with hard soles. They are adequate on the rocks, and quite comfortable. Aquachigger likes to use fly-fishing boots with two pair of socks, but I'll have to buy a new pair if I go that route because I refuse to beat the crap out of my new Simms boots. For what its worth, I like the wetsuit boots, and if I have to swim a little, they arent unpleasant or cumbersome.

With the wetsuit boots I use a pair of water-type pants from Ex-Officio, but any light nylon pant with a built-in brief will work. I also use some over-the-calf hunting socks along with the wetsuit booties, and tuck my pants legs into the socks. Its quite effective against leeches and other cooties, yet cool and comfortable at the same time.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone suggest or offer recommendations on waterproof footwear when prospecting rocky creek beds? I've been using my fly fishing waders paired with Simms boots, but I just burn up and sweat my butt off inside 'em.

I've heard good things about neoprene type boots? Are these totally waterproof or is there an option where waterproof boots are made? What footwear are you folks using out in the streams, rivers and creeks when dredging, sluicing, sniping or prospecting for gold?

Best pair I have found.
VERY strong sole just like a hiking boot.
They are NOT waterproof, but keep your feet warm and prevent the PAIN of rocks and cobbles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D0T4C5M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

41Np7wqBV9L.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Perfer dive boots with hard sole bottoms and arch support. ..currently using a nice pair of Oceanic, they are getting old and worn, had for 4.5 years so may check those above out....[emoji106]

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depends on the season for me
In the summer it's boat shoes
For spring and fall I have 2 sets of chest waders. 1 set is rubber for warmer weather and the other set is a thick neoprene for colder temps. Both have built in boots and the rubber ones just keep you dry but don't insulate.
For very cold conditions I have 5 mm full wet suit with boots.
Wisdom!
in decent weather I wear Teva river sandals with toe protection....current pair are several years old and showing their wear but still grip well. Chest waders in winter with wool socks too...whatever it takes so I can dig year round :)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get some good water socks-think mini wetsuits for your tootsies ALWAYS wear them as keeps them toes toasty in ice water,like my newer suit also-John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Dry feet without at least hipboots is a pipedream as all leak with flexing. Wet feet hurt nuttn'. The white felt bottom boots stick to rocks,slime and semi vertical surfaces like nuttn' ever made before-Love my Hodgman but yep toooo hot for summer use and wet feet helps cool ya off anyhow-John

some states (Missouri) are outlawing felt bottom boots in streams because the felt bottoms help transfer "stuff" from one stream to another! I got rid of mine and I really liked them!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you use waders to try and stay dry, you usually end up sweaty and that is no fund at all.

My standard is like this...

felt bottom fishing shoes for traction and arch support on pointy rocks
Baseball catcher shin guards so you can scramble on your hands and knees
and the most stylish board shorts you can find... jump in and enjoy the water

20140824_120550a (Medium) (Small).jpg

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my fav. Snake boots, so the sides are ankle protectors supreme! I have an insulated. pair..and non insulated pair, for hot weather.
They zip up, on and off fast.!

DSCN4973.JPG

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much thanks for the replies! I never thought about snake boots, that's an awesome idea. And the use of baseball catcher shin guards sounds like gold; I wonder how many other people use them. I mean, the shin guards have to be better than using regular kneepads, as those have a tendency to shift and don't provide protection to your shins or the top of your feet.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Clean em' maybe?
NOPE! you will get cited if caught for sure! and the Missouri Department of Resources and the Missouri Conservation officers don't fool around with violators! the ones that I have meet were real nice guys and gals and most were truly interested in what and how you do what you do! neatness of your camp and surroundings plus your knowledge of the laws and knowing exactly where you are at seems to keep the roar to a minimum! the Missouri State patrol will even stop and ask you friendly questions!

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>>And the use of baseball catcher shin guards sounds like gold; I wonder how many other people use them. I mean, the shin guards have to be better than using regular kneepads, as those have a tendency to shift and don't provide protection to your shins or the top of your feet.<<

Actually, I use hockey leg guards that go all the way up to my knees and they have a hard plastic outer shell. I am constantly walking on a big pile of wet rocks and literally 4 times a day, I lose my balance and go down hard on my knees, with no bad effects. I guarantee, it will change the way you walk around on wet rocks. No fear, nothing can hurt you. And underwater, you shins won't get bruised. A word of advice when looking for hockey guards, find the kind that have big wide velcro straps (ideally 3 of them) since the straps will be on your skin (and not on a hockey uniform) the thinner straps will start wearing on your leg. I typically find used pairs on ebay for $20. I've been wearing the same guards for going on 4 years now, and they are bullet-proof. Try them and let me know what you think- I think it will be a game changer- it sure was for me.

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I use hockey leg guards that go all the way up to my knees and they have a hard plastic outer shell. I am constantly walking on a big pile of wet rocks and literally 4 times a day, I lose my balance and go down hard on my knees, with no bad effects. I guarantee, it will change the way you walk around on wet rocks. No fear, nothing can hurt you. And underwater, you shins won't get bruised. A word of advice when looking for hockey guards, find the kind that have big wide velcro straps (ideally 3 of them) since the straps will be on your skin (and not on a hockey uniform) the thinner straps will start wearing on your leg. I typically find used pairs on ebay for $20. I've been wearing the same guards for going on 4 years now, and they are bullet-proof. Try them and let me know what you think- I think it will be a game changer- it sure was for me.
Thank you for sharing your tips! =)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions