Propane conversion

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The environmentalists have many issues with dredgers one being refueling in the water and the possibility of spilling gas.

I have been researching LP gas conversion for small engines and I am about to order a retrofit kit to convert my 11hp Honda dredge motor. I see the pro's being a much cleaner fuel with no spills, easy refueling and cheaper fuel cost.

Does anyone have any experience with propane conversion of small governor controlled engines?

Upvote 0

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't want to change my mind?? I understand correctly how internal combustion works. Not my fault you don't understand properly.

Cold air intake is so air into engine is denser. Not to cool engine. Same effect as intercoolers for turbo chargers, and superchargers. You just don't understand.

Humidity in open air is not a combustion chamber. Humidity has little to no effect on combustion in an engine so that example is worthless.

I am sorry you misunderstand the concept, but fuel in a combustion chamber is not a coolant. It is propellant. It ignites with air and either spark or heat and compression. Just because it doesn't burn as hot with a rich condition, doesn't make it a coolant. It is still burning, combusting. I gave you very good links that explain what a coolant is, and also what causes dieseling. I can't help that you don't understand the written word. No where in the link that explains what causes dieseling does it say it is caused by a lean condition, with one exception. That exception is when an engine is running too hot or too lean may produce an environment conducive to allowing unspent fuel to burn. I would love to know how you think left over fuel or oil in a combustion chamber is because of a lean condition. Or that a hot spot in a cylinder is an effect of a lean condition. A hot spot would be like a piece of carbon, FYI, which would be a result of a rich condition.

And again you don't understand the written word. I never said loss of power is greater at higher altitude. For like the 4th time, I said it is more noticeable. A 25% drop in power at sea level is still 25% at say 10,000 ft. However since less dense air at higher altitude equals a loss of power with any fuel, a 25% loss is just that much more noticeable. I don't know how I can make this any simpler for you. Maybe you should read more carefully.

Propane in a barbeque is not an internal combustion engine. Huge difference.

Here is a proper link to internal combustion engines. Internal combustion engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I suggest you pay attention and read this for a better understanding. No where will you find it referring to fuel as a coolant, except in a jet or rocket motor, and not during combustion. Fuel only acts as coolant when traveling through parts of the jet or rocket engines in route to combustion.

My last post on this subject. I have posted nothing but the facts and backed them up. If you don't comprehend, that isn't my problem. Dennis

P.S. Good luck finding proof that the fed won't allow high mileage vehicles. You can call it conspiracy theory or whatever, but our government is very controlling, and very often not because they are doing things for our well being. It all comes down to money. You can believe what you want, but I know better.

Last edited:

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn I wish ya'll would stop! Trying to keep up with this thread is giving me a headache...:BangHead:

By the way back to the original topic for this thread; great job on the conversion. Please keep us updated on how it is working for you and how many hours of actual run time you're getting form the twin tank setup. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My last post on this subject. Dennis

Thank God for this. Never have I met someone who had such a firm belief in his own double talk and false assumptions. I am glad you are now silent on MY thread and no longer willing to continue hijacking it.
Good bye :notworthy:

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn I wish ya'll would stop! Trying to keep up with this thread is giving me a headache...:BangHead:

By the way back to the original topic for this thread; great job on the conversion. Please keep us updated on how it is working for you and how many hours of actual run time you're getting form the twin tank setup. :icon_thumright:

LOL...I was done a long time ago...
I am taking the Harley out for the annual Toy run on Saturday presuming it doesn't snow but Sunday looks good for a dredge motor test. I am going to haul the motor and jet over to my friends house and pump the water around in his pool for a few hours. I will get run time info, fuel consumption, power estimates etc... I will take a few pics and post back here with my results

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OMG!!!! False assumptions??? I just tried to correct your mistake. My info is fact. You my friend haven't got a clue. I can only hope you don't blow yourself or somebody else up.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG!!!! False assumptions??? I just tried to correct your mistake. My info is fact. You my friend haven't got a clue. I can only hope you don't blow yourself or somebody else up.

Would you kindly STFU!! Good lord, I am sick of seeing your posts here. Go start your own thread and stop ruining this one!

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
copy that...lol

Full confidence testing of the propane powered eco-dredge will happen Sunday if the ice melts off the pool by then. I will repost pics and narrative as appropriate.
fyi - no earth shattering kaboom is expected :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread