Grand cyn. Gold mines

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know there were some mines downstream of Lake Mead. There are still remnants of the old towns. This would be on the west side.
Jim

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lee, of Lee's Ferry and of the notorious Mt. Meadows Massacre reputedly had a very good Au mine there.

Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
Actually took a helicopter ride over the canyon. The pilot made two 90 degree turns. He said it was to avoid a gold mine that had a paranoid owner that had shot at them once. Id say there is gold there.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back in the day, The Orphan Lode mine produced ore with a dozen metals (!!)) in it. According to the USGS it's Relative position was 1200 FT BELOW S RIM 1.5 MI FROM BRIGHT ANGEL LODGE NEAR POWELL POI NT.

There were placer gold mines at Lee's Ferry and in what is now the upper reaches of. Lake Powell. Reportedly neither of those mines did well financially. But yes there's gold and no, since it's a national park you can't take any. (Can't take stuff of any sort from any national park unless a specific park has a specific exception (as two in Alaska do for us placer gold miners!)

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
To the best of my knowing there's only a handful of working mines left within the park boundries. Since it's a National Park it would next to impossible to get a new one permited for operation. The AZGS site has some records on mines within the park boundries that I've downloaded but have yet to go through them for all the details.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread