KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
so I was looking at a page for gold clubs and organizations and I saw there was a gold club in Arkansas

I was not aware of gold in Arkansas, I thought it was a mostly diamond state
so I did a little research and found little material to confirm my curiosity of gold in this state
I've confirmed gold there, but how much and on what scale is the mining
I googled "prospecting Arkansas" and only found videos on the Arkansas river in CO
I also found that Arkansas is one of the only states in the east where a mining claim can be staked
so that would leave me to believe if there are decent deposits of gold there, there would be lots of mining
but from my internet searches ive found no active gold mines or mine records, not even any prospecting videos

so my questions are
what are the grades of gold in Arkansas is it on the level of Ohio or is it closer to south Carolina like

is there much mining there, how many prospectors are in Arkansas, how many mines

any comments appreciated, discussion encouraged

heavy pans everyone

Upvote 0

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whoa whoa...level of Ohio?
Ohio has had 3 separate mines both located in Clermont county. No official report If the mines were profitable but rumor is that 1 of them was and it's documented that the other at least covered operational costs. Hard to find much info on the third. I've prospected one of the creeks that was involved in the Allen mine but didn't find but fly poop. The Batavia mine supposedly was decently successful and was selling stock at 100 bucks a share in the late 1800s.
True that Ohio will never be California or Alaska but you'd be surprised what people are getting here.
Just sayin don't knock Ohio based on speculation from people that live in other states
Check out Midwest Prospector website to see what ol Chuck is getting around here and here's another pic you may like :thumbsup:
image.jpg

On top of that people are finding diamonds here and I believe it's only a matter of time before someone finds a giant nugget. To date 2 separate large quarts/gold nuggets have been found and one was valued over 50,000 dollars!
I love prospecting Ohio. You really honestly have no idea what you'll find everyday and it seems any things possible here. Love them glaciers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KiddoTheMiner

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whoa whoa...level of Ohio?
Ohio has had 2 separate mines both located in Clermont county. No official report so. If the mines were profitable but rumor is that 1 of them was and it's documented that the other at least covered operational costs.
True that Ohio will never be California or Alaska but you'd be surprised what people are getting here.
Just sayin don't knock Ohio based on speculation from people that live in other states
View attachment 1049567

im not knocking Ohio or trying to insult anyone, but its an undeniable fact Ohio and most or the Midwest are the less productive states than those of the the west or southeast
ive panned there on family owned land, and I enjoy watching videos by many Ohio and Midwestern prospectors
on that family land I got maybe 3-4 puny micron flakes a pan witch I think is good for Ohio but I was just trying to compare the level of Arkansas to another state so I could have an idea of how good it was

no disrespect intended

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No disrespect taken! :) I'm just stating Ohio is incredibly under rated as prospecting isn't common here but it's catching on like wild fire.
I also edited the post because I forgot about the third mine which is off limits to anyone investigating it. It's located in East Fork State park but details are sketchy at best
I have some sweet video of my ventures taken on my Gopro but I too stupid to figure out youtube

I don't know Arkansas but people told me all the time there's not much gold here and it's not worth your time but I started prospecting anyways. People are really taken back when they see my finds. Id prospect the hell out of Arkansas and don't stop until you know factually
For yourself. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KiddoTheMiner

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No disrespect taken! :) I'm just stating Ohio is incredibly under rated as prospecting isn't common here but it's catching on like wild fire.
I also edited the post because I forgot about the third mine which is off limits to anyone investigating it. It's located in East Fork State park but details are sketchy at best

how is 3-4 specks of gold per pan in Ohio anyway?
I figure I should tell ya I told my folks I thought there might be some gold on the family land
and they kind of didn't believe me but I checked out the creek witch was awfully slow moving and the biggest rocks where 1'' in size
I managed to find the best gold on an inside bend and I showed it too my aunt and she was so surprised it was funny
now im pretty sure my cousins who live there(it was in upper Sandusky Ohio, no idea what county)
area all over that creek :)

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's all about location here, you have to chase glacial activity and know what your looking for.
If your North or northwest the glacial drift is very thick so fly poop is the norm and 3-4 specks is average
South in the state and along the glacial moraines 3-4 specks is poor.
Bedrock is near the surface or exposed in the South Western part of the state and the gold is a lot more plentiful

Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
Kiddo, I am curious on Arkansas as well. Heard the Conway area had some found in the river. I ran a few test pans in a creek feeding Greers Ferry lake to get back into the swing of things last weekend. I have not heard of anyone finding anything there nor did I find anything, but, never hurts to try. Also heard small amounts are found near Hot Springs and a few non productive gold mines are in Arkansas as well. If you need a prospecting buddy for Arkansas, shout. Im not going to quit looking nor do I believe there isnt any. Im just thinking it hasnt been found yet.....

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From the report I read on Arkansas, it states, gold was first reported by Spanish explorers who traveled through the state in the 1500's. little interest was given due to their limited quantities. Gold in recent years may be found in streams that drain the Quachita mountains, a mountain range west of little rock that extends into Oklahoma. Only a very limited amount has been found. Arkansas is probably one of the poorest states to try and pan for gold!!! Already mentioned was their diamonds, at crater of diamonds state park. Only reason I have this information is because my buddy just went there a week ago for his anniversary, and wanted me to research the area for him

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiddo, I am curious on Arkansas as well. Heard the Conway area had some found in the river. I ran a few test pans in a creek feeding Greers Ferry lake to get back into the swing of things last weekend. I have not heard of anyone finding anything there nor did I find anything, but, never hurts to try. Also heard small amounts are found near Hot Springs and a few non productive gold mines are in Arkansas as well. If you need a prospecting buddy for Arkansas, shout. Im not going to quit looking nor do I believe there isnt any. Im just thinking it hasnt been found yet.....

There is gold in Arkansas. Just got done crushing some of this ore I found in nw Arkansas, and was surprised at what I found. If y'all are ever near Russellville, give me a shout and I'd be glad to show you where I've been finding this ore. (As long as you help me find an economical way to crush literally tons of it. Send me a pm IMG_20170506_150148.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread