southern oregon black hole for gold

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An acquaintance of mine did some panning along this river close to the oregon coast. They had a pretty good specimen bottle with at least 0.2 grams easy from panning. Wanting to do some panning and sluicing of my own I went straight to Google maps.
Quite a ways up the river I see this black hole where it turns from mid waist walking in the river to an oblivious hole.
Man I wish I could find out what's down there sitting on the bedrock of this hole.
I need to know!

ForumRunner_20140912_005825.png

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inner tube,with a 3 hp engine and a nice little ol' t-80 and hookah system will easily answer that question. Lotsa luck as ya never can tell what you'll find-John

Attachments

• 02-28-2013 07;12;48PM.JPG
    02-28-2013 07;12;48PM.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 130

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is a gold bearing river, umpqua or rogue, might be somebodys dredge hole. Worth a look.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the Smith River here in Del Norte County. If so, try to stay out of obvious site from the road with any mechanization. The gendarme tend to enforce pans and small hand tools only.

Mike

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is the smith :) good guess mate.

You can still dredge in Oregon as long as its not a habitat for salmon

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes kitt, dredging is allowed in Oregon, but the Smith River that Oregon Viking and I are speaking of, along Highway 199, is, except for the extreme headwaters of the north fork, entirely in California.

Mike

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got what your saying. This portion here is in oregon up always from Cali :)
I only pan and sluice, you still need permits for dredging here, and a dredge is a serious piece of mony.
I'd still like to know what's down there though.
I was trying to find a good place to pan around the smith, but the only place I can find is over an hour drive.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kitt, the river section you show in the Google Map window is not in Oregon. No part of the Smith River along the Redwood Highway is in Oregon.

I work that section of highway, along the river, for Caltrans, The Ca. Dept. of Transportation. I also have prospected this river for many years. There is good gold, even just panning.

Mike

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK your right, it is still CA ha!
How far up would you suggest going? I'd like to check it out and do some panning

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kitt, you will likely find gold panning any of the low water riffles between the small communities of Hiouchi and Gasquet. With the low water you should be able to get to some good spots in the classic type of dropout zones for gold. The water this time of year is not so cold that you couldn't just wear tennis shoes. Might even try sniping the cracks with just a swimsuit.

Good luck,
Mike

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the "Wild and Scenic" Rogue River; Ennis Riffle

HPIM1566.JPG

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Earth Rogue River Ennis Riffle. Find the boat ramp. There's a small island that is well exposed during low water times (such as now) about 200 feet down river, about 80 feet off shore. Google satelite image shows some greenery if one looks close enough. There's been ounces of gold over the years taken from on and around that island. It's a high water gold trap. The water/overburden depth is only 3-4 feet to bedrock.

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can try to Google map it. I only have my phone and no computer. Is that around grants pass?

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Google earth. But it would make my off brand Walmart android phone explode : )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread