if you could be a part of the original gold rush in your area would you?

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you could go back in time and be apart of the original gold rush or your area(or any area I guess) would you?

for me its a no, I don't wanna get killed over gold or for my claim or have my cabin ransacked
I know it would be so cool to have a chance at going into Georgia before it was heavily hit and mine deposits with huge potential unseen today
but I also don't wanna go broke

so what do you say and why?

heavy pans everyone

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am part of the second one.......

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
for me its a no, I don't wanna get killed over gold or for my claim or have my cabin ransacked
I know it would be so cool to have a chance at going into Georgia before it was heavily hit and mine deposits with huge potential unseen today

It wasnt as bad as the good ole idiot box made it out to be..Read the book "Precious Dust" by by Paula Mitchell Marks.One of the worst parts of it was the price of any kind of goods.

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it would with out a doubt be very hard times. life was rough and at many times and places there was no law most of the time.
no, I would not like to be there but do enjoy reading history of those times.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My GGG Grandfather did well and left California with $5000.00 after digging fourteen months on Bear and Yuba Rivers. Returned a year and a half later to So. Cal and became raisin grower. Gold is in the blood.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
My ggg grandfather owned a supply store in Grass Valley with a poker room in the back. He made a fortune as a merchant and a miner. However, he was a lousy card player and lost it all ( including his store ) in a card game.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you could go back in time and be apart of the original gold rush or your area(or any area I guess) would you?

so what do you say and why?

heavy pans everyone

Yep. In a heartbeat. Why? The gold, and the adventure.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Norcalsteve great to hear from you again.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh to be cooling off with mi amigo Francisco, resting under the shade of a nice oak tree while he gathers us some tasty cebollas. It was his 40th Birthday after all :occasion15: What a way to celebrate.

coinage1005b.jpg

The Lopez brothers had heard about the oro in the hills to the north of the Mission. Stories of it went back maybe fifty years. Our Papa had told us stories about the legend of the Lost Padres mine. That's partly why we chose these rolling hills to graze our cattle.

Any time we could sneak off from our Spanish taskmasters we'd try our luck along the local arroyos. That was before that fateful afternoon in what became known as Placerita Cyn...

sg062505-coins.jpg

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now wait. Can we have, ohhh lets say, a Kimber .45 ACP? And a Bazooka gold trap? :laughing7:

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I could be the 1st person to discover a place like Rich Hill in Az. and take a modern Minelab with me............that would be sweet!!!!!!!!!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hell yes!!!
You said "go back in time" which implies that I get to retain my existing knowledge of mining and the locations of incredible gold deposits.
I would busy myself with quietly higrading a few selected spots then use that money to buy or claim selected motherload deposits. I have no concern at all about getting jumped for my gold. In no time I would be insanely wealthy and....whoever has the gold, makes the rules!

I would use my money to re-name California "Sarahpayland" and make gun ownership mandatory...just to piss off the liberals of the future

Will my dredge fit in the time machine?

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would, but I would sell supplies to the miners. The people that sold the shovels and pans made waaaaaaaaay more money than 99% of the miners.

Mike

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely, if it wasn't for the wife and kid... Wouldn't want to leave them behind or take them with me to that rough of a life.

Granted if it wasn't for them, I'm pretty sure I'd be headed for Alaska... prospect all spring and summer, trap and hunt furs all fall and winter. Hopefully between sustenance hunting/fishing and those two ventures, keep myself from starving...

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started a few years back I hit the Bear River Camp Ground and a guy at the entrance to the trails was selling some gear and some stories... Ok I bought a rocker Sluice :tongue3:
Anyway I have heard many a stories about the business around the Gold...

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definitely, if it wasn't for the wife and kid... Wouldn't want to leave them behind or take them with me to that rough of a life.

Granted if it wasn't for them, I'm pretty sure I'd be headed for Alaska... prospect all spring and summer, trap and hunt furs all fall and winter. Hopefully between sustenance hunting/fishing and those two ventures, keep myself from starving...

Moose...you have a time machine. Go back to 1872 and stay for a year or two and return on the same day you left. Tell the family you had to go to the store and come back with a beard and many sacks of gold, she will be ok with this, trust me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread