Identification???

minermatt

Greenie
Sep 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
This was found SBD. National Forest. Approx 40-50lbs. Polishing up like metal. Non-magnetic. Not sure but the pics are getting better or I'm becoming a great photographer....
Thanks to everyone and your comments are criticized and appreciated... Jk
:-)

Upvote 0

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SBD? Looks volcanic to me. Maybe it was in seawater:dontknow:

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
From the pictures...and you say 40-50 pounds. Yup that is definitely leavrite!

OP
OP
minermatt

minermatt

Greenie
Sep 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg
This is a piece I broke off and scuffed up. I roasted it also and still non magnetic. If it is bornite, how long would roasting take for the magnetism to take place?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
no idea...is there a rock hound club near you?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardness test will speed your id along and call your local gem/mineral shop for help or clubs as all over kalif-John

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be andesite porphory. This variety, assuming it is what I think it is, looks like a lava flow. I found a photo online that looks like it. Google Andesite Porphory, and look at the images.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you live near a college or university take it in to the geology department and ask them to do a work up on it. The students at the school in my area like to do them for practise and extra credit. Good luck! Hefty beat me to it on the Leaverite, but the closer I look I'm thinking it may be an exceptional Igneous Love Stone specimen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
minermatt

minermatt

Greenie
Sep 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Response to your post

I was unclear as to what an Igneous Love stone rock is... I ran a Stannous Chloride test on the rock and it came up with positive for Au (Light Violet) and Very + for platinum Pt. (bright orange). I know this is just a quick +/- result but I was curious if what BurntBear said about it containing precious metals. I'm going to wait to assay it professionally with a Full PGM Fire assay due to finances but I took your comment as I had something really good (exceptional).
Thanks, Mark

OP
OP
minermatt

minermatt

Greenie
Sep 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TrueColors.jpg
Is it still Leavirite?

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I was unclear as to what an Igneous Love stone rock is... I ran a Stannous Chloride test on the rock and it came up with positive for Au (Light Violet) and Very + for platinum Pt. (bright orange). I know this is just a quick +/- result but I was curious if what BurntBear said about it containing precious metals. I'm going to wait to assay it professionally with a Full PGM Fire assay due to finances but I took your comment as I had something really good (exceptional).
Thanks, Mark
A igneous love stone = a friggin rock! :)

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sorry Mark I was just funnin, Russau is correct igneous love stone is an F'n rock. However I was not kidding about the geology dept. And it's starting to look like you may indeed have an "exceptional" rock. Again my apologies if us took me serious and best of luck on the assay.

OP
OP
minermatt

minermatt

Greenie
Sep 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for response, I was not under the impression it was a worthless rock the whole time. I am however unfamiliar with some Rock hounders terminology.
Even though my brother tried convincing me thats what it meant but it was an Indian Love stone that he was saying, both terms were synonymous. Lol. I do want to get it over to College prior to having assay but might happen the other way around...

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your brother is correct as well, I was also bring politically correct (kinda new for me)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread