Sep 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dude, I'm new too. I've been goin to the American river every weekend :) I pan and snipe up there, but I'm wanting to go to colfax next weekend to try a different spot. No clue where it is though hahaa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read about hastles encountered(busted topic here) as of late. New boss and games galore. Go north with directions you pmd me about as answered today. Could not answer yesterday as hauling relief supplies to Weed for days now,what a ungodly mess-John

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
The Forest Circus and the Green Nazis and anti timber crowd's new deforrestaion policies are not working for the good patrons of Weed, or for the other residents of this state.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys im new to the forum, ive been reading old posts on the forum for the last week and it seems most suggest going to the american river in auburn. Is drivers flat road open right now? Does anyone know of any mines that can be easily accessed in auburn area and where?
I would stay away from Auburn or anywhere in that area right now because of the King fire. You can check it out on yubanet.com. The smoke in the canyon is extremely bad right now so head to Lincoln or Roseville and hit the streams and rivers there.

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up there on sat, and it was really smoky, but the fire was 25 miles away. Didn't bother the gold at all though ;)

OP
OP
S

swexelman

Greenie
Sep 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so im still undecided on where im going tommorow, I want to go to grass valley but I cant find where the brunswick and purdon area meets, also will I have a problem bringing a detector to the grass valley area or auburn area specifically the drivers flat road or purdon bridge in grass valley? Wow just seen the fire news wasnt aware of that, anyone know how bad the smoke is in grass valley?

Last edited:

PaulieNoNuggets

Dec 21, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOTS of smoke at Mineral bar yesterday. I turned around and headed back down to Auburn. It was mostly clear at Confluence.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so im still undecided on where im going tommorow, I want to go to grass valley but I cant find where the brunswick and purdon area meets, also will I have a problem bringing a detector to the grass valley area or auburn area specifically the drivers flat road or purdon bridge in grass valley? Wow just seen the fire news wasnt aware of that, anyone know how bad the smoke is in grass valley?

http://yubanet.com/fireuploads/1/0922air10am.jpg

The dark area is the worst with extreme health hazard warnings. Today they closed the schools in North Placer County

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those colors mean nothing! Just stay in the water and you're okay ;) hahaa.

I'm actually still planning on goin up there Friday-Sunday. Sleep in my car :)

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yuuup, smoke is bad in Sierra County, rain should be here on thursday :occasion14:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I realize you are probably new to all this. You need to consider that other people usually own, or have rights to, the gold and other minerals found on their private property - including mining claims.

There are areas of the South and Middle Forks of the American River that are open to public prospecting. The same is not true of most areas in California.

The Grass Valley area is very rich in gold. It's some of the richest gold ground found in the United States. It is also all private property. As in NO you can not prospect anywhere near Grass Valley without the written permission of the private landowner.

There are some public lands to the north of Grass Valley that can be claimed. Those areas are almost completely claimed. Those claims are for all intents and purposes the same as the private land in Grass Valley. Written permission is required by law before you can prospect on those mining claims.

Just plunking yourself down on any good looking stream can and will get you arrested for trespass. That makes for a bad weekend and a sucky way to learn to prospect.

I see you are eager to get started learning your prospecting skills and, of course, getting some good gold. That's a good thing. You might want to consider joining one of the excellent prospecting clubs in the area. Joining a club like the Auburn Goldhounds will allow you to learn, get gold on known gold properties and avoid the embarrassment and hassle of creating a criminal record while trying to enjoy your weekend.

Once you have learned the skills involved in gold prospecting, including determining which lands are open to prospecting, you can move on to exploring for gold deposits on unclaimed public lands open to entry.

Heavy Pans

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You tell em Barry!!

Seriously, listen to "Clay Diggins" and remember that the public and the authorities judge all of us by the thoughtless, lawless actions of the few. Dot be that guy, don't be a thief!

OP
OP
S

swexelman

Greenie
Sep 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went to the purdon crossing on tuesday was pretty nice but some very shady characters over there haha, does anyone know if the edwards crossing is any better? I didnt find anything at purdon except some super small flake and alot of pyrite (actually the most pyrite I have ever seen in one small area) but it was fun, also wasnt aware that the whole yuba is claimed, does anyone know where I can find a map showing claimed areas?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT claimed as it's a BLM National Recreation area.Many years ago there was a grandfathered in single claim. Fools paperhang everywhere but don't mean nothing. Go east as the farther you go,as many dozens I've directed in, have found righteous gold. Just gotta want it bad enough to work hard and know what your doing-John

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are several valid existing mining claims on the South Yuba John. It is not a National Recreation area or designated as a federal reserve in any way. A small portion was closed to entry in 1998 but a good percentage of that has valid pre-existing grandfathered claims.

I'm not trying to put fear into the newbies. There are a few areas on State Park lands where panning will get you some color. There are some small open areas upriver that are not claimed or private property. There is a lot of private property as well as existing claims in that area. My warning was about how a prospector has to know where they can prospect before they start digging. There is good gold to be found in that area but just working where you want on the river could in many areas be trespassing.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread