Finding gold in the San Juans Colorado where it was and ideas for finding new spots

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
Finding gold in the San Juan's Colorado where it was and ideas for finding new spots

Wanted to start a new tread for the San Juan mountain range. The history is rich but I have yet to find that elusive gold streak. They have been there in the past and will be there in the future, I have found gold all along the animas and San Juan rivers, but nothing like what others find on TN. Maybe looking in wrong areas, maybe over worked my guess is it's still out there keep finding the little stuff but not a source yet. Hope this thread can become useful to those of us in the four corners area. Good luck and happy hunting.
Here are a few good places to look:
Animas along rivers high mark and public land most spots good with some showing of fine color50 mesh- all the way to where the animas starts to Navajo tribal lands in farmington nm
Same with San Juan river shed

Again good luck and hopefully others will have good leads.
Try them and get back. I will try to up date every so often

Upvote 0

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marmentman I've offered this to several people ( Sorry Kevin, I dissaperad for awhile). I live in the La Plata Canyon just before you get to the mouth in the Sword of Truth Ranch on your right. Nobody has mined this area for over a hundred yrs and the La Plata river runs the length of the ranch. I've got a few flakes when breaking up clay but there is flour gold in every pan from one or two colors up to 30 colors -50 mesh probably. I've also discovered a mine that isn't registered now or in any of the historical records. Let me know if you wanna come out...PM me.

I'm still interested in working with you if you are still around. I would love to check out that land at the mouth of La Plata Canyon. Its been a fantasy of mine to do some drill prospecting in that area some day, all the way down to bedrock. The town of Parrot was once in that area to try to take advantage of the gold placers they thought would be there. But the glacier that once occupied the canyon destroyed any likelihood of placers collecting at the mouth of the canyon. However, I think there may be a lot of gold under a thick layer of overburden there. Let me know if you want to get together, I will be in Durango between Christmas and New Years this year.

OP
OP
Marmentman

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey crashcrew sorry haven't gotten back with you for a year been offline for a while now. Would be interested in possible meet up. If you have the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread