National Parks

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are two National Parks where you can legally prospect. Otherwise it doesn't matter what paperwork you fill out - it ain't gonna happen.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am of the understanding that all National Parks have rules that even such seemingly little things such as keeping pretty rocks and picking flowers is not allowed, by law, much less panning or prospecting. All in the name of preserving anything and everything for all to enjoy in perpetuity. Am I mistaken? What two parks are you referring to?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are right about the majority of National Parks arizau. No flower picking or rockhounding. It requires a special act of Congress to allow mining of any kind in a National Park - with the exception of pre-existing perfected claims and private property.

Congress made an exception when they created Denali National Park in Alaska and another NP I can't seem to remember at the moment.

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DISCLAIMER:
I cannot speak for any other state or individual parks anywhere for that matter.

That being said its really up to the Rangers. Most of the parks near me don't allow you to do much "officially" except stare off into the forest like a lunatic. But usually you can get away with a gold pan and camping shovel. I've been stopped a few times and haven't really encountered a problem. The Rangers have been friendly and didn't mind. Granted they could see no holes as I dug underwater. BUT all it takes is 1 ranger having a bad day and you can get a big fat ticket.
It's really not worth it.
By all means no sluices and OMG no motorized equipment. They have the right to seize your equipment and jail your ass.
Plenty of good ground not state parks/forests so I say steer clear.
P.S...paperwork?! Lol
Ohio is so backwoods the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. If you try and obtain permission from the ODNR they will refer you to the Army Corps of Engineers. The ACE will refer you to the ODNR. If you make yourself a bother and constantly bug them and somehow get them to agree they will just refer you to the OEPA.
Let me guess, you tried obtaining permission from the "park manager"? Little secret is that you'll never actually get ahold of this person. It's a game where you always loose.
Stupid. Just find some nice private property with permission and keep your dredge a 4 inch and under and you'll never run into issues.
Good luck

Last edited:

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The upsetting part about this topic is, that I have a coworker that his brother is a park ranger. Here comes the upsetting part! While at work in the parks, he metal detects all day long!!! He has a large mayonnaise jar half full of nothing but nuggets and pickers. "He doesn't bother himself with the (small) stuff anymore!!!" It's bs! I realize these guys don't make much $, but that's their problem! Don't be a freaking hypocrite! U think they caught somebody prospecting because they were patrolling!!! BS!!! Ask to see what's in the trunk of their vehicle,and I'm willing to bet 95% of the time, you'll find a metal detector!!! I'm sure it was used to help clean up the land though! Lol

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other

Glad to see that someone is picking up Clays' slack Kev! I hope it was just a case of pre-coffee reply as he usually knows this stuff right off the bat. And yes Clay... I'm just giving you a good natured ribbing here. You're still the "Go-to" guy for many of us.

That there are rangers out there that ignore the rules come as no great surprise to me at all. There's always going to be those individuals that think their position gives them the right to break the laws that the rest of us have to follow. If he happened to get caught by his boss, most likely he might get chewed out or a slap on the hand. Any of us caught for the same thing would most likely end up in jail. Don't you just love double standards?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LoL indeed! "Clay Diggins" is the pro, I'm just covering the easy stuff so he can save his energy for hard questions!

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My good friend that taught me to prospct is going to court early OCtober to defend a Rock Hounding ticket he got when we were in the ASRA a couple weeks ago. Like you have heard all it takes is a Ranger having a bad day or in our case training 2 new Rangers that will jack up your world quick.
The Ranger is so uncertain of his ticket he gave out that he had to change the charge adn send my buddy a certified leter that it had changed along with the court date. OMG the poor guy doesn't even know the law??? here he is for the laugh!
Ruck-a-Bust2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread