2 Places to FIND GOLD! but now what?

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Digital prospector here. After traveling to parts near and around Fairplay,CO. Only thing gold discovered was on broeas pass. A small sliver looking peice of gold was in the pan after 3 or so small shovel fulls out of the very tiny run off creek coming from the top of the pass. I'll go back on the 13th to check further.

Found independence mountain and also Hahns peak. Using the USGS reports for routt county,CO. The report says Hahns peak has been claimed and worked before. Independence Mtn is known but not sure whats the history there exactly.

THE PROBELM:

• did not yet check for claims and private land and access.
  • no planning
  • moderatly remote area (alone)
  • 3 hrs away
  • never actually mined before
  • no gear for it yet,
  • no exp using the gear
  • very little wilderness exp (wilderness = beautiful forest of death and suffering) if your not careful.

Looks like about spring time I could get geared by then. Would like to go sooner but it's winter now in the rockies.

Any advice on how to approach this would be appreciated and of course anyone who wants to go is welcome.

One of these spots (Independence Mtn) was visited by one person you might all know. The owner of one of the first places you see on google when you begin looking for information goldfeverprospecting.com. Said he found nuggets there.

Upvote 0

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If this area is so isolated and so rigorous its nothing for a greenhorn
When you get a sluice or something hit something closer by and get your
Prospecting legs before you go on 3 hour drives
Try some areas closer to metro Denver like clear creek
But write down where this is for future refrence

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a list of where to start. PLAN ! Get the gear , learn to use it. Educate yourself about wilderness/survival ,etc. Be safe and good luck

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Digital prospector here. After traveling to parts near and around Fairplay,CO. Only thing gold discovered was on broeas pass. A small sliver looking peice of gold was in the pan after 3 or so small shovel fulls out of the very tiny run off creek coming from the top of the pass. I'll go back on the 13th to check further.

Found independence mountain and also Hahns peak. Using the USGS reports for routt county,CO. The report says Hahns peak has been claimed and worked before. Independence Mtn is known but not sure whats the history there exactly.

THE PROBELM:

• did not yet check for claims and private land and access.
  • no planning
  • moderatly remote area (alone)
  • 3 hrs away
  • never actually mined before
  • no gear for it yet,
  • no exp using the gear
  • very little wilderness exp (wilderness = beautiful forest of death and suffering) if your not careful.

Looks like about spring time I could get geared by then. Would like to go sooner but it's winter now in the rockies.

Any advice on how to approach this would be appreciated and of course anyone who wants to go is welcome.

One of these spots (Independence Mtn) was visited by one person you might all know. The owner of one of the first places you see on google when you begin looking for information goldfeverprospecting.com. Said he found nuggets there.

Why go to Fairplay when you can play right there in Denver? Platte River, Clear Creek, etc. PM me if you want more details.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The guys are right...Chances are there's gold in a place you are allowed to dig within a 15 min drive of your house...pm me your address (or just cross streets...I'm no creeper) and I will point you in the right direction!!

Add your phone number to the PM and we can talk about Fairplay and those other spots too. There are a lot of active claims in all those areas so you have to do your research before heading out. Still there are places...

Even better, this Sunday show up at Steele St Open Space Park on the east side of Steele St just north of 78th St around 10 or so. Several of us are meeting here to do some panning, sluicing and such. If you come later, just walk east on the rec path to the river then down stream until you see us down on the giant cobble bar just past the railroad bridge.

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Kevin. Help out a new guy and get him started right. G/L all

OP
OP
G

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i'm not too paranoid about the net... colorado and i 25 but i enjoy driving around teh continental divide. There are not words strong enough to describe the feeling of driving through the rocky mountains. such beauty

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just go west on Evans to the S Platte, just west of Samta Fe. Parking at park on s side of Evans on east side of river. Decent gold on and just off the beach and great place to set up a sluice.
...that's close and open all winter too ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread