Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
working on my website. I told my guy that mylandmatters is one of the links I must have. His response back was 'Mylandmatters is an impressive website". He's not into prospecting he just knows a good website when he see's one:thumbsup:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Clay and the land matters team have done a great job on the site and it only keeps getting better. I for one check check out every update for newly opened ground in my area and have found several places well worth checking out. Next project they should tackle is a site that digs the gold for us as LandMatters already does most everything else!

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Clams Maps updated to August 1, 2016

Thanks for all the support folks. We get a lot of people writing Land Matters thanking us for making it easier for them to find a good prospecting spot or claim. It's good to hear that all our hard work is helping. We keep working behind the scenes to bring more useful research features to Land Matters. We will be revealing several of those changes soon in the next few weeks.

As we do twice each month Land Matters has updated their Mining Claims Maps.

We updated those maps this past Tuesday but I'm just now getting time to announce that change. It's been a busy few weeks. :BangHead:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Clams Maps updated to August 15, 2016

Just updated the Land Matters Mining Claims Maps yesterday afternoon.

Things are a little slow with summer vacations and the end of the federal mining year coming up but California is still closing small miners claims from last December. California was a net gain of 3 placer claims - 51 closed placer claims and 54 new placer claims. California got 107 new lode claims this report period.

Nevada had the most new claims with 717 new placer claims in the last half month!

Land Matters makes new mining claims maps twice a month for the most up to date claims maps available. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Clams Maps updated to September 1, 2016

It's the end of the mining year and this is a really busy time for my business but I found some time to help out and update the Mining Claims Maps for Land Matters.

Land Matters will be putting out some end of year statistics soon to get some perspective on the last years claim activity. I think you will be surprised at some of the results. Watch this thread for more details. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Clams Maps updated to September 15, 2016

The Land Matters Mining Claims Maps were updated to September 15th last Thursday.

Sorry it took so long to get around to posting this up here. We also prepare the Claims Advantage reports at the same time as the claims updates and between the two there are about 20 hours put in to the update. With my paying job sometimes I run out of time to do anything but make sure the claims are updated. We have never missed a claims update so you can reasonably expect that claims will be updated on the 1st and the 15th of each month unless those days fall on a weekend.

This month I made some changes to the Mining Claims Maps to make them faster and a smaller load for those on limited connections. There is a "Tip" included on the bottom right of the map window to help you get quicker page loads for these maps. Along with that tip remember that the smaller your browser mapping window the less data transferred and the quicker the map will load. Combine that with using the zoom box feature and you will cut your map load times way down. If you want to learn more ways to make your use of the maps faster and discover the hidden tricks to making really effective maps look into the documentation found by clicking the "HELP" button at the top right of each map window.

August 31st marked the end of the federal mining year. We are crunching the volumes of claims data we've collected to bring you some usable information. Here's just a teaser of what is still to come:

Final.png

Those are the final figures on closed claims over the last year. I realize some other systems and organizations have come up with some very different numbers but I can assure you these numbers are correct. If you are associated with one of those other mapping systems or organizations and would like to know how to get the correct totals from the data feel free to PM me or contact Land Matters. We are here to inform and educate. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This month I made some changes to the Mining Claims Maps to make them faster and a smaller load for those on limited connections. There is a "Tip" included on the bottom right of the map window to help you get quicker page loads for these maps. Along with that tip remember that the smaller your browser mapping window the less data transferred and the quicker the map will load. Combine that with using the zoom box feature and you will cut your map load times way down. If you want to learn more ways to make your use of the maps faster and discover the hidden tricks to making really effective maps look into the documentation found by clicking the "HELP" button at the top right of each map window.

Heavy Pans

Very nice,,,, page load times was my one and only complaint with my slow internet.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Question for Clay
On some searches when PLSS Second Division is selected some of the quarter sections say L1 instead of NENE as an example --- what does the L1 represent. Also sometimes M 0000 example.
Thanks Mike

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Question for Clay
On some searches when PLSS Second Division is selected some of the quarter sections say L1 instead of NENE as an example --- what does the L1 represent. Also sometimes M 0000 example.
Thanks Mike

Good question Mike! :thumbsup:

The L stands for Government Lot. If the quarter quarter is irregular (is under or over sized or an odd shape) it no longer represents a quarter quarter aliquot part so it is designated as a Lot with an assigned number. To find out how big the Lot is just click on the Lot on the map with the "i" tool selected.

The survey parts that begin with an M are Mineral Surveys. Irregular mineral surveys are an exception to the PLSS and the PLSS survey is made to "go around" the mineral survey. If the mineral survey is not issued a patent and reverts to public land the mineral survey boundaries are preserved and it is designated with an "M" and the registered number of the mineral survey is appended.

For those wishing to make a mining claim location on one of these irregular portions their description should refer to the Lot number or M number. Assuming there is a NENE when there is actually a Government Lot or mineral survey could cause the locator problems down the line.

Try using that "i" function on the map and a lot of questions will be answered on many of the map layers. You can get information from the "i" tool on a layer just by clicking that layer's checkbox. You don't need to display the layer to get information from it.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
News section added to Land Matters website

Land Matters has added a NEWS section to the website. We will be posting up news of land status changes and land related stories as they become available.

There are already several items of interest to prospectors there.

Go get u sum! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Clams Maps updated to October 1, 2016

We've updated the Land Matters Mining Claims Maps just yesterday morning.

The new mining year is starting to gain momentum. Lot's of new claims being made this year! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument

Check out the NEWS section at Land Matters.

The latest entry is about the new Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument in Maine. We've made you a new custom map so you can see where the boundaries are.

Lots of new posts are scheduled for the NEWS section so check back often! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! Nearly 4,000 claims closed in Arizona in the last 15 days!

Reports and map updates coming soon. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking forward to seeing if there are any new openings in my area Clay.

Unlike in California the BLM in Arizona is USUALLY pretty quick on updates.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Clams Maps updated to October 15, 2016

Yes we did the Mining Claims Maps updates early yesterday but I've been running hard this week and I just now got a chance to post this.
Early estimates on claim closures in Arizona were higher than the final count. The actual number of claims closed in Arizona over the past 15 days was 2,974. That's still a whopping big number! By comparison California processed 2 claim closures over the same period.

Wow, 4000? that is a lot! What is going on at BLM? Are they getting caught up on the backlog of paperwork?
Actually this is the time of year when the BLM is cleaning up the case files on all the mining claims that didn't file this year. There are a lot of claims that just don't get renewed each year and the BLM should be busy updating those cases now. Arizona is doing that but California is probably still having a discussion about a claim that didn't file in 2014. :BangHead:

As Jeff pointed out California BLM tends to be a little slow about doing their job.

Looking forward to seeing if there are any new openings in my area Clay.

There are quite a few closures west and northeast of you Jeff. The ones in the northeast are mostly uranium claims but there are a bunch of newly closed claims all over the state that go back as much as 50 years. Keep on searching or get the Claims Advantage reports. Every claim closed during the year gets it's own custom map linked right in the report. Yeah there are 2,974 custom maps for Arizona in this 2 week report. I told you I was busy. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By comparison California processed 2 claim closures over the same period.

Heavy Pans

The Sacramento BLM office does stuff differently than all other states. For instance, if a claim owner failed to file their annual paperwork this year you will see that it will be listed as "abandoned" but still be listed as an "active" claim and then it takes forever for them to list it as "closed". This, in my opinion, is actually very claim owner friendly, it gives the owner time to try to straighten out or re-file their paperwork. Of course if you have to re-file the BLM makes more money but it keeps the claim jumper, top filers at bay a little as well. I think Gary (the supervisor down at BLM) has a lot to say about how this is set up currently, I have had some conversations with him and unless his supervisors directly instruct him to change a "policy" he stays pretty claim owner friendly.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Sacramento BLM office does stuff differently than all other states. For instance, if a claim owner failed to file their annual paperwork this year you will see that it will be listed as "abandoned" but still be listed as an "active" claim and then it takes forever for them to list it as "closed". This, in my opinion, is actually very claim owner friendly, it gives the owner time to try to straighten out or re-file their paperwork. Of course if you have to re-file the BLM makes more money but it keeps the claim jumper, top filers at bay a little as well. I think Gary (the supervisor down at BLM) has a lot to say about how this is set up currently, I have had some conversations with him and unless his supervisors directly instruct him to change a "policy" he stays pretty claim owner friendly.

That doesn't give any claim owner any more time to "straighten out or re-file their paperwork". A closed claim is open to relocation whether the BLM case files have been updated or not.

All BLM offices are instructed to update their case files within 5 days of any status change. The California BLM spent a good part of this year updating closed claims from 2014. Doing a bad job, slacking off on their administrative duties and BSing callers as if they are doing miners a favor is typical for BLM California only.

The fact is when a claim owner doesn't file with the State BLM office before September 1 the claim is closed by law. No BLM office anywhere can change that fact. If a claim owner is actively working their claim they have 30 days to make a new location. If they aren't actively working their claim they have no grace period. That is the law.

When the BLM doesn't timely update their files they only confuse the land status for anyone searching their records. That causes potential locators to take risks with their fees and in essence locks up locatable lands. That's not doing anyone a favor - especially miners.

These guys aren't doing you or anyone else any favors by slacking off on their job. The BLM offices are taking in a lot more money with the new claim fees. If I were you I would be expecting better service from them rather than buying some line about them doing you a favor.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesn't give any claim owner any more time to "straighten out or re-file their paperwork". A closed claim is open to relocation whether the BLM case files have been updated or not.

All BLM offices are instructed to update their case files within 5 days of any status change. The California BLM spent a good part of this year updating closed claims from 2014. Doing a bad job, slacking off on their administrative duties and BSing callers as if they are doing miners a favor is typical for BLM California only.

The fact is when a claim owner doesn't file with the State BLM office before September 1 the claim is closed by law. No BLM office anywhere can change that fact. If a claim owner is actively working their claim they have 30 days to make a new location. If they aren't actively working their claim they have no grace period. That is the law.

When the BLM doesn't timely update their files they only confuse the land status for anyone searching their records. That causes potential locators to take risks with their fees and in essence locks up locatable lands. That's not doing anyone a favor - especially miners.

These guys aren't doing you or anyone else any favors by slacking off on their job. The BLM offices are taking in a lot more money with the new claim fees. If I were you I would be expecting better service from them rather than buying some line about them doing you a favor.

Heavy Pans

I agree with all that you have said, if you fail to file on time the claim is legally closed and should be listed that way in a timely fashion. And Ca does a lousy job of listing these closed in a timely fashion. My only point is that if you blow it on filing your paperwork on time you have a chance to re-file before anyone else sees your claim has been closed, good for you,,,, not so much for everyone else.

Also I have seen cases that go to the adjudicator that remain listed "active" until final decision. My experience has been that claims with unresolved issues remain "active" in Ca until resolved and other states "close" them before they are resolved.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also I have seen cases that go to the adjudicator that remain listed "active" until final decision. My experience has been that claims with unresolved issues remain "active" in Ca until resolved and other states "close" them before they are resolved.

The lead file remains ACTIVE until a dispute is adjudicated. Most often the lead file is the same CAMC # as the first claim in the group. If a person only has one claim the lead file number and the CAMC # will usually be the same.

If a claim has been CLOSED by BLM notice and administrative action it will remain in CLOSED status until the administrative process is complete. If a claim has been put on notice (30 or 90 days depending on the issue) it will remain ACTIVE until the notice expires.

The problem is these status changes mean nothing if the BLM takes months or years to get around to updating their case files. California doesn't have a policy of keeping claims ACTIVE through adjudication they just don't keep their files up to date. The laws and regulations are uniform throughout all the 12 western public land States. It's BLM's legal duty to treat a claims case file the same whether it's in Montana, Arizona or California. The fact some local chota decides to ignore the rules and regs is not a bonus for anyone. We deserve fair and equal accounting on the claim case files in every State. That's the law.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread