Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please note that the Land Matters sight has no advertising, it is supported by users who are willing to see that it continues. It is an "educational" sight which affords all "Land" information to be easily accessible/available to the general public. When one considers the huge amount of time it takes to "provide" such a "one stop shopping sight" of information about land; it is obvious that such effort should be supported.

Why the name "Land Matters". The answer to that is quite obvious: When we give thought to ALL the things we as humans do on the land beneath our feet the importance is extremely obvious. Today the inet stream of LAND information can be placed into one central educational web sight.

This vision requires extensive effort to gather and program. Please give thought to the effort when using the sight.....and ENJOY!

Bejay

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldnt seem to navigate it. What am I doing wrong?

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay many thanx for this program I have been researching land in Az from Ok. We have a friend in common I use to mine with Rob Allison back in the day when we were young.
Thanx Again
Jeff

You are welcome Jeff. What areas are you interested in?

Rob's a great guy, he's not only one of the worlds greatest gold detectorists he's also humble and honest. I feel privileged to call him my friend. Where did you guys mine?

Heavy Pans

Barry

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are welcome Jeff. What areas are you interested in? Rob's a great guy, he's not only one of the worlds greatest gold detectorists he's also humble and honest. I feel privileged to call him my friend. Where did you guys mine? Heavy Pans Barry

Will send you a PM Barry

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I think both West Virginia & Kentucky would be interesting maps to see.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bejay, good to hear from you again. As before, your way of writing on a subject is right on and in this case sincere and gentle. I agree wholeheartedly.

Mike

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hear hear! Bejay is another of our best resources on this forum when it come to good solid information. That he is working with Clay on the Land Matters project is to every ones benefit.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I owe everyone a big THANK YOU!

I was just going over the server statistics for Land Matters.

In the first 4 weeks we had nearly 1/4 million hits!

We are just approaching a month and a half since going public and we now have well over 1/2 million hits. Wow!!

You folks are great! Thanks for making Land Matters a hit. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I've been passing the word to many a fellow miner and off-roader that don't hang out here on t-net. But think about it here Barry.... With such a great resource, did you expect to only have a few hits? It is quickly becoming a one stop information source that can't be beat. I know I've been using it in combination with other sites to do some very deep research into Mohave County here in Arizona. By studying the claims map, topos from USGS and the geology maps I've come to the conclusion that the property I'm looking at stands a VERY good chance of having gold on it. If I buy it or not depends on only one thing now, if the mineral rights convey to me with the sale. If they do I'll snap it up muy pronto!

Of course I've also been using it to research other places to prospect with an eye towards filing claims. It's looking like I'd only have to go a few miles from the house instead of over a hundred like when I head over to Greaterville.

One thing that I think would be great to do would be make it so the claims maps can select between Lode or Placer claims if possible. Maybe a button to choose either or both? There are so many lode claims in that area and the number of placer locations is so much lower that digging through all of them is very time consuming. Not having seen the actual code that controls the maps I've got no idea if it could be done.

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a reminder, there's gold in Alaska. Wink wink... Nudge nudge.. Hehehe!

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I've been passing the word to many a fellow miner and off-roader that don't hang out here on t-net. But think about it here Barry.... With such a great resource, did you expect to only have a few hits? It is quickly becoming a one stop information source that can't be beat. I know I've been using it in combination with other sites to do some very deep research into Mohave County here in Arizona. By studying the claims map, topos from USGS and the geology maps I've come to the conclusion that the property I'm looking at stands a VERY good chance of having gold on it. If I buy it or not depends on only one thing now, if the mineral rights convey to me with the sale. If they do I'll snap it up muy pronto!

Of course I've also been using it to research other places to prospect with an eye towards filing claims. It's looking like I'd only have to go a few miles from the house instead of over a hundred like when I head over to Greaterville.

One thing that I think would be great to do would be make it so the claims maps can select between Lode or Placer claims if possible. Maybe a button to choose either or both? There are so many lode claims in that area and the number of placer locations is so much lower that digging through all of them is very time consuming. Not having seen the actual code that controls the maps I've got no idea if it could be done.

Thanks Jeff I really appreciate your support. You've been a big help from the beginning! :thumbsup:

Research is the key to effective prospecting. It sure saves a lot of time on the ground looking for something that was never there while you just drove over a great prospect to get to a dry hole. I'm glad you are getting good use out of Land Matters and the AZGS/ADDMR - they are both great resources!

I've been meaning to reply to your private email but it seems the day never ends. I'm sitting at my desk at midnight tying up loose ends from the day as I have been for weeks. I'm hoping I'll have time to give you some detailed answers tomorrow.

If you look at the Nevada Claims map or the Colorado Claims map you will see the claims split out into separate layers for lode and placer. Ruby has the claims database rearranged so we can do that for all the claims maps but I just haven't had time to write the display code for the maps. I hope I can get to that tomorrow. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

Barry

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a reminder, there's gold in Alaska. Wink wink... Nudge nudge.. Hehehe!

??? Did that just happen? I thought all you had was television drama? :laughing7:

What in particular would you like to see in Alaska?

There is a whole bunch of Alaska gold with available State leases. Not so much federal lands to claim.

Have you been to Alaska Maps Plats and Data? Alaska already has online maps of land status and claims.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upgrade to Arizona Mining Claims maps

It is done now Jeff. The Placer and Lodes are different colors and can be turned on and off independently.

Go get the new Arizona Claims Map!

I will get around to upgrading the other claims maps soon.

Heavy Pans!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread