Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Claims Maps Updated to April 15

Land Matters Mining Claim Maps are now updated to April 15th. Still the most up to date claims maps available on the web.

This update wasn't uploaded until early this afternoon. We got the database updates from the BLM server account yesterday before the LR2000 was back online. We held off finishing the updates because we know BLM was up to something when their public servers were unavailable for nearly three days. Sure enough they made significant changes in their new system. That now makes three different system changes in the last 12 months.

This most recent web application change left a lot of parts of the LR2000 nonfunctional. In particular parts of the mining claim searches are broken. The BLM is working on a fix. We are in regular contact with the BLM and we will let you know when the system is working right.

In the meantime you can learn more about those problems and the temporary solution Land Matters came up with at this thread:
BLM LR2000 Down

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BLM is back up and Land Matters updated the mining claims maps yesterday afternoon.

Just in time for spring prospecting! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Land Matters Mining Claims maps were updated yesterday afternoon.

Land Matters Mining Claim maps are the most up to date mining claim maps available. Land Matters updates these maps twice a month. The other mining claims maps only update every one or two months. Land Matters is the only mapping system that allows you to look at the current up to the minute Serial Register Page right from the map.

Land Matters strives for accurate up to date information. The BLM mining claims files in particular are nowhere close to up to date and accurate but wouldn't you rather have the most up to date information possible? One or two months old claims info just makes the situation worse. Old mining claim information leads to wasted days and uncomfortable encounters. Do your research with the other mining claim maps if you find them useful but please check the up to date Land Matters mining claim maps before you plan a prospecting trip or vacation. The price is right - FREE and the information is up to date. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The first big weekend of the summer mining season is here. I'm hoping all of you who have prospecting plans this holiday weekend have great weather and...
Heavy Pans

It's still out there, Go get u sum! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land Matters has updated the Mining Claims Maps to June 1.

Had to work all day Sunday to get this one updated. The BLM didn't update their databases until Saturday night. The BLM has had problems getting these updates completed for over two months now. I know they are working hard to get their systems right but I hope they finish soon. Late nights and weekends to fix the BLM's problems is getting old.

Just had to grouch a bit. For those of you in Los Angeles area there are some 50 year old claims just closed - just a heads up. California closed 246 claims in the last two weeks. Seems like stuff is opening up in California just in time for a good summer season. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land Matters updated the Mining Claims Maps yesterday. The June 15th data wasn't available from the BLM until Friday night. :BangHead:

There have been some important changes to the mining claims maps display. In certain parts of the western U.S. there are areas with significant errors and inconsistencies in the geometry (map drawing) data provided by the government. Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California had the most problems in the government mapping data. Many of the geometry errors (many thousands) in the original government data is now corrected in the mining claim maps display.

Stuff like triangle shaped sections and broken sections where there is a river are now corrected. This should make it easier for prospectors and researchers to see all the claimed sections.

This was a problem in the quality of the original PLSS data and not something Land Matters had any control over. These claims mapping changes are not a change to the actual survey, much like the PLSS map display they are a guide only. The position of portions of the public land survey is determined by the location of the actual survey monuments. GPS or map coordinates are not to be relied on for legal land descriptions no matter what their source.

Pretty much everything should be fixed now but nothing is perfect. I did just see there was still an error in Oregon at 40S 8W Section 27. There may be others. This is an ongoing project so if you see a claims map that is broken up in a funny way let me know. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

SandomingoJim

Sep 8, 2016
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM 1000, Whites Goldmaster II, Tesoro Bandido II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Clay for the updates and the hard work that you put in to make this info available to all.
Now that the heat is cranked up in AZ, I have been digging through the internet reading old mining bulletins and articles as far back as 1880's on the San Domingo area. I have found some interesting info. With new info comes more questions which is an everlasting quest for sure. Can't wait to check out some new leads when the cool weather returns. Much AU to ya.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope everyone is enjoying their Holiday and getting some good gold!

The Land Matters Mining Claim Maps were updated Tuesday morning. I'm guessing most people already knew that because the volume of visitors to Land Matters has soared the last few days. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Darn! I forgot to tell you all about how Land Matters updated their Mining Claim Maps on July 15th. :BangHead:

As always the claims were updated on the 15th as they will be updated again today ... if and when the BLM actually get their database extractions finished. Ominously they have only a small file named "test" available so far today. :dontknow:

I'll let you know when the most recent update is ready. In the meantime...

Heavy Pans :thumbsup:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533188327.757362.jpg
Another $100 coming your way Barry!

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I guess I've missed a few update announcements. Sleeping on the job! :sleepy2:

Rest assured Land Matters has updated the mining claim maps twice a month come rain or shine for nearly four years now. I missed announcing the last few updates but you can always tell how current the claims information is by looking on the far right side of any claims query return. That date is the last time the claims were updated. Since Land Matters is the only available claims mapping system that updates twice a month we will always have the most current mapping available.

We've got lots of new features and maps coming to Land Matters. Several requested maps will be available soon as well as a lot of new Library items being added almost daily. See - I wasn't really sleeping. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks! That's really cool Kevin! What a great idea.

I'm guessing that pretty woman in your picture might have celebrated with you on your special day? Where the heck did you pause in your journey to celebrate?

Heavy Pans
Barry

Yes she was and we were in Anchorage. I got to go gold panning at Point Woronzof (by the Anchorage airport) on my birthday :)

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Already found some that will be closed fixing to jump a jet plane and do some staking. [emoji106]

Hey okbasspro, though a great program, the information is only as good as the data, at this moment, BLM has not updated LR2000 since 9/5. There are a lot of claims that look as though they have missed their paperwork but the fact is most are still valid and BLM is just behind in posting them. Check the LR2000 site, it states the last date it was updated.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
9/5 is good paperwork was due 8/31 by law. They missed county filling also. Been watching this claim for years and it was transferred earlier this year out of state buyers dropped the ball. County it’s in is very fast at posting.

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Counties are fast and are the best place to check at this time. Though 9/5 is after the 8/31 by law date, BLM has valid paperwork (received before the deadline) that they haven't posted, just stating a fact. Always good to know the facts about your data.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Counties are fast and are the best place to check at this time. Though 9/5 is after the 8/31 by law date, BLM has valid paperwork (received before the deadline) that they haven't posted, just stating a fact. Always good to know the facts about your data.

I agree got to know the facts. The BLM office I deal with will have paperwork on line within 24hrs. County is the same I always start with county first then boots on the ground. Not all BLM offices are fast Cali is horrible they are years behind.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey okbasspro, though a great program, the information is only as good as the data, at this moment, BLM has not updated LR2000 since 9/5. There are a lot of claims that look as though they have missed their paperwork but the fact is most are still valid and BLM is just behind in posting them. Check the LR2000 site, it states the last date it was updated.

Land Matters is current as of September 15th. Land Matters doesn't get it's data from the LR2000 they get it directly from the main BLM server in Denver. There are quite a few new claims located later than 9/5 on the maps so obviously the BLM (and Land Matters) is more current than 9/5.

It will be anywhere from a month (Utah) to several years (California) before all the closed claims/paid fees will be updated to the LR2000. California is still working on closing claims from two mining years ago while several other states are posting closures from September 1. Even better State BLM offices have bloopers, Montana BLM just posted as closed a claim that was void in 2013.

The data is never going to be more current than what your individual State office is producing. Some State BLM offices suck and others try very hard to stay current. No State BLM office has every consistently met their mandated 5 day deadline but a few inconsistently come close.

The BLM doesn't determine if a claim is valid. If you know for a fact a mining claimant didn't meet their annual obligations you are safe to assume their claim is open to location now. If you are wrong in your assumption then you have wasted your time and money.

IF the BLM were to ever meet their regulations and stay current it would be a help to miners but it would not be a solution in itself. Each mining claim owner has certain annual obligations only one of which involves filing with the BLM. Whether the LR2000 is up to date or not you still need to visit the County Recorder, study the Master Title Plat(s) and check for active locations on the ground before considering prospecting for minerals. You must prospect for and discover valuable minerals before making a new location.

With the BLM dragging their feet miners and prospectors really need to do their research. That would be the same research all miners have done since 1872 - more than a hundred years before the BLM got involved in mining claims in 1976 and 130 years before the LR2000 even existed. It's what miners do.

If you are waiting around for the BLM to update the LR2000 before you prospect open ground you will be months behind all the other prospectors doing their research right now. If you have an interest in a particular area do your research now and go prospect if the land is open - no matter what the LR2000 says. Go get U sum! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread