Prospectors Research Tools - Page 10
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Like Tree1783Likes

Thread: Prospectors Research Tools

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10246 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector70 View Post
    how do I tell if a claim wasn't renewed or the paperwork was not filed correctly?
    Will it say Case deposition Closed?
    I've got a much more detailed explanation on how to get the most out of these reports in the works Prospector70 but the brief answer is yes the Case Disposition tells you the current BLM case status on any single claim.

That Case Disposition does not tell you that the land is open to claim. Life is rarely that simple in the world of claim locations. The fact that one claim is CLOSED does not mean there isn't another claim there that was located before or after the CLOSED claim. The BLM could care less about overclaims or actual claim location.

The BLM LR2000 is just one step in the process. The link to the claims report on the Land Matters Claim Maps is just a tool - it's not the final answer.

The process we use professionally to determine lands open to claim is to:

1. Determine what the Legal Land Description (LLD) is. The LLD consists of the Meridian, Township, Range, Section, Quarter Section and aliquot part of the location. You can determine that description from the Public Land Survey System (PLSS). The PLSS is the Legal Land Description by which mining claims are made by. That's the law and has been since 1789 - no matter what parcel# the tax assessors office call it. You can determine the PLSS of your location by using the Land Status Map and turning on the PLSS layer and zooming in to your area of interest.

2. Take that LLD and look up the land status on the Master Title Plat map for the Township your claim is in. You should also download the supplements and the Historical Index and cross refrence with the Land Orders listed for that area. This will tell you if the land is claimable or closed to claims. All restrictions will be noted on the Master Title Plat and it's supplements. You can download a free copy of that Master Title Plat, supplements and Historical Index at the Government Land Office website.

If the land you are interested comes up as locatable on the Master Title Plat go to number 3 below. If not you will not be able to make the claim. Just because somebody claimed land before doesn't mean it was claimable. The BLM is well known for accepting claim files and money on claims they will eventually challenge and close.

3. Look up the LLD on the BLM LR2000 database website. Be sure to include adjacent sections. Often the BLM will choose to put cross sectional claims in their smallest fraction. This will tell you the current file status for all the claims in the LLD. If a new claim is filed with the BLM it could take anywhere from a week to more than a year before it will show up there. Even so it's a free stop and the information you get on the area claims will help you at the next step.

Just because the BLM shows or doesn't show an open (or closed) claim where you are looking you still don't know the whole story until you do the next three steps.

4. Check for Mining Claim Location Notices for that LLD at the County Recorders office. If you got a list of the closed claims, with their location date, you can eliminate those claims from your final list - much cheaper.

Most Counties have an online search feature so you can look that up yourself at home. Find the Mining Location Notices, Location Amendments and annual filings for the closed claim and all the claims nearby. You will need the grantors names and the Book and Page each is recorded on.

Mining Claim Location Notice and Legal Land Description are how County Recorder's deal with Mining Claims. They don't keep a map of claims. They do not do searches for location notices without knowing the Grantor name, or the Grantee, or the LLD or the Book and Page. Most Counties charge for record searches that don't have at least two of the above classifications. The County Recorder can help you a lot, treat them well and it can be easy.

Once you have a list of the Book and Page Numbers for the above recordings contact the County Recorder (mail, phone, email, walk in doesn't matter) and order copies of all the pages of each Recording on your list. There will be a charge for this but by having the Names and Book and Page Numbers you only have to pay for the copies - not thousands of dollars in research fees. You do not need the copies certified.

5. Take the information from the claims records you got that are currently active and draw out each claim on a topo map. There should be a map with each claim location notice. Once you have all the active claims on the map look and see if the area you are interested in is still open (no other claims there). Don't try to "fix" the claim locations if they overlap - that happens and it's one of the things you are looking for on your map. It's entirely possible the claim that was dropped there was an overclaim and there really isn't anything open.

6. If everything looks clear once you've done the above steps it's time to put the boots on the ground. Take your map with you and look around the claim area and see if there are any recent monuments or stakes. LOOK for a new claim there. If there is none you can then prospect and see if the land is mineral in character. If it's all good go ahead and put up a monument stake with your location notice and map and mark the claim boundaries.

How you stake and how you describe the claim (aliquot part or metes and bounds) will be determined by what you learned about the area of land you are claiming. In most cases a simple LLD is all you will need as a description. Sometimes you will need to use metes and bounds (distance and direction). You won't know that until you have made your map and checked the location on the ground.

Then you can proceed to record your location at the county and make your FLPMA informational filing with the State BLM office.

At that point you might have a valid claim. Everyone who locates a claim has 30 - 90 days (depending on the State) to make a public Mining Claim Location Notice at the County Recorder and 90 days to give an informational notice, pay fees and obtain a claim number from the BLM. In other words somebody else might already have made a claim there before you but they just haven't made their recording/filing yet. It's all about who puts up the first monument, not when you record or file the location.

Doing these things out of order can waste a lot of time and when it comes to staking, recording or filing your claims it could invalidate them.

Heavy Pans

Nov 2013
    Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a Number 2 Shovel baby!
    1254 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yay! Thanks sir!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10246 times
    Prospecting

Check For our friends in Oklahoma

The Oklahoma Geology Map is now available at Land Matters - complete with a faults layer.

Much more coming tomorrow!

Heavy Pans
    BurntBear and Bejay like this.

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6155 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    I also noticed a new Minerals layer on the Arizona map today. I haven't taken time to check it out yet as I was looking up other information to go into my field notebook.

I also talked to one of the on-line reps from the USGS today and though she was very nice, she couldn't explain to me why the PLSS data isn't included in the newer maps. The PLSS data is still on the older versions. She also directed me to the GeoCommunicator site but like everything else that has to do with the BLM, it's about as clear as mud. I found data sets for the area I've been researching but I don't know if it's stand alone or if some viewer is required to be able to see the file. Their download info is also very lacking. No mention of file size, or even what type of file it is. .Doc .PDF etc.

I also looked into those "ToughBooks" Clay. They've got a large selection of them with different bells and whistles. Wide range of prices as well. Almost had a heart attack when I saw the prices on the higher end units! Well beyond what I'm wiling to pay for a computer that will be used in the field! Maybe a cheaper laptop with a good Pelican or Anvil case.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

us
    Jan 2012
    Chickasha,Oklahoma
    1282 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    The Oklahoma Geology Map is now available at Land Matters - complete with a faults layer. Much more coming tomorrow! Heavy Pans
    I will have to take a peek at this one thanx again CD
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/GeologyOK/GetMap

"If the Gold dont care neither do I"
    Shawn Pomrenke

4" Proline 2" Jobe combo 2.5" Keene 2.5" subbie Drywasher Spiral Wheel Minelab Detector

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10246 times
    Prospecting

Check Important updates to Arizona Claims Map and Arizona Geology Map

Quote Originally Posted by goldenIrishman View Post
    I also noticed a new Minerals layer on the Arizona map today. I haven't taken time to check it out yet as I was looking up other information to go into my field notebook.
    I guess the cat's out of the bag.

The Arizona Claims Map has a new addition - the Mineral Potential map layer. This little beauty was worked up by the Arizona Geological Survey to show where the areas of highest mineral potential are in the State. It looks pretty simple but there is a lot of information and study that went into this map.

This map really belongs with the Arizona Geology Map and you will find it there too. I just thought it would give a little more information to those studying claims and land status.

The Arizona Geology Map also got a new Faults Map layer display too. Each State geology map will be updated with new information layers as I get the time. Contact Land Matters and let them know what you would like to see next.

I hope you noticed that I can now link you directly to those maps without going through the website or a donation page. These two maps are now sponsored. Sponsored maps are given direct access without any click through pages so feel free to share those links to the maps with your friends - the link will now take them directly to the map. Click on the sponsor name and give them a thank you for the free map and their generous support of Land Matters!

More coming soon!

Heavy Pans
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Dec 12, 2014 at 08:30 PM.

us

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    6155 times
    I took a good peek at the Mineral Potential map today and from what I saw on it.... I'm really going to like that area I'm move to! Between mineral potential, historical background, current mining operations in the area etc etc etc, Most likely I'll be finding gold on the property. I've got to remember to make sure I get the mineral rights when I buy that place!

I've just about got the "field copy" of the AZ claims map finished up. Everything is arranged by township and range, lists land management agencies, historical claims and current claims. I'm setting all this up in a notebook so I can have the information with me in the field even if there's no internet service available. I will do it up as both computer files as well as a hard copy for those times I don't want to take the laptop out with me.

I'm going to have to go check out the new faults layer to see what is in my area. Most likely I'll mess it up somehow. Then everyone can say it's "My fault!"

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10246 times
    Prospecting

Check NEW! Arizona Claims just now updated.

The Arizona Claims Map has just now been updated directly from the BLM (12/12/2014).

In the last month there have been 79 new Placer Claims added and 251 new Lode Claims added in Arizona.

Totals now:

5,635 Placer Claims

35,305 Lode Claims

More Coming!

Heavy Pans
    KevinInColorado and Bejay like this.

us

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    6155 times
    Drat DRAT and DOUBLE DRAT!!!!!! Now I've got to go and update any changes in Mohave County! I hope all the new stuff is up north! Thanks Clay (and I really do mean thanks in a non sarcastic way my friend!)
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2354 times
    Prospecting
    Pretty amazing stuff...........unbelievable is putting it mildly! The amount of work Clay and Ruby put into this is beyond anyone's imagination. Please HELP support the continued effort and reward that which has been done. Convey LAND MATTERS to any and all......promoting all the findings.

Bejay
    delnorter and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4092 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    The Arizona Claims Map has just now been updated directly from the BLM (12/12/2014).

In the last month there have been 79 new Placer Claims added and 251 new Lode Claims added in Arizona.

Totals now:

5,635 Placer Claims

35,305 Lode Claims

More Coming!

Heavy Pans
    Now Clay, see what you did? Those poor BLM folks had to get back to WORK after what you did! JK

No pressure huh Jeff?
    Last edited by Jeff95531; Dec 13, 2014 at 09:51 AM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

us

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    6155 times
    Well I'm just glad I hadn't done the hard copies of the files yet. Much easier to update before printing as well as much cheaper. Printer ink ain't cheap!

And you if anyone should know that I THRIVE on pressure Jeff! After all... I'm trying to teach you this stuff aren't I?
    Jeff95531 likes this.

us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6076 times
    This is awesome!!!!

I was looking things up and marking them on google earth, only to lose everything from hours and hours of work when I clicked on the wrong button. This has tons of info in one search! I'm still "green" so there is so much information that I have no idea what to even do with now! lol

Thank you! To Clay Diggins and everyone involved with putting this together!!
    Jeff95531 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10246 times
    Prospecting

Check Map Search Tips

You can make the job of seeing what claims were updated when and where with a little search magic.

You know that pair of Binoculars on the right side of the map? You are probably thinking we just put that there to confuse you - right?
    It's actually a really cool feature once you learn to use it. I'll give some examples:

1. Go ahead and click on the Binocular symbol while you have the Placer Claims layer turned on. An imposing form titled "Query Editor" appears on the upper left corner of your map.

2. Select the name of the map layer you want to search in the "Layer Name" dropdown box at the top of the "Query Editor" window. Let's start with "BLM LR2000 Placer Claims" for this example.

3. Skip all the other parts of the form for now and go right to the "Generated Query" box at the bottom and type (or copy & paste) this exact line:
    [Claim Location Date] > '2014-10-1'

4. Click the "Apply" button.

You should now have a list of all the Placer Claims located since October 1st 2014.

Hold on this gets even better! You want to know if any of those claims were made in your area of interest right?

Scroll to the top of that result list and find the column titled "Township and Range". Click on that title. Now the result list is sorted by the Township and Range. Just scroll down to see if there are any claims listed in your Township and Range. They will all be clumped together in a group.

So you want to see on the map where one of those claims is? Just click the magnifying glass symbol to the left of the claim name and the map will zoom to the section the claim is in!

I promised you search magic - wasn't that easy? You can change the date in this line to whatever you want:
    [Claim Location Date] > '2014-10-1'

You could even search for claims between two dates like this:
    [Claim Location Date] > '1936-1-1' AND [Claim Location Date] < '1952-1-1'
    That will search for all claims made between 1936 and 1952. Just click on the "Claim Location Date" column head to sort those in order of date.

You can search for specific claims by name or any other quality you want just by playing around with different ways to fill in the blanks in the "Query Editor" form. This is searching on steroids!

Go play with it. You can't break the maps and you just might find the trick that gives you just what you were looking for.

Heavy Pans
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Dec 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM.

us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6076 times
    This is the first time I've seen Footprints too!

Another awesome place for information! Wow, I'm going to be in these tools for days, I have all kinds of new things to learn!!!!
    Clay Diggins and Bejay like this.

Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links