Prospectors Research Tools - Page 11
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree1789Likes

Thread: Prospectors Research Tools

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4092 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks Clay, With the above, I just started my document "How to use Land Matters" in Word so I can toggle between the two. Now all I need to do is go back in this thread and copy and paste. Maybe I should call it "Land Matters Maps for Dummies?"
    Last edited by Jeff95531; Dec 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM.
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

us

Feb 2013
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4092 times
    Prospecting
    PSA

Be advised prolonged sitting, clicking, leaning, squinting at the computer screen WILL cause back pain. Frequent breaks are required.

End of PSA

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10273 times
    Prospecting
    Heck Jeff95531 the "for dummies" version of help is already on the map. Just click on the "HELP" button at the top right of the map window. There is a illustrated guide to using each map tool right there. Click on the "Search" subject next to the binocular symbol in that HELP window.

Help is always there with just a click while you are using the map. If you need more information just Contact Land Matters or ask on the forum here. I'm sure your questions will be answered.

Heavy Pans
    Jeff95531 and KevinInColorado like this.

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6155 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    Yeah... I've been using the Greaterville FootPrints program for some time now and I'm STILL finding new stuff. The maps on the site are set up almost exactly like those in FootPrints. Of course since Clay opened up the My Land Matters site I've been using it to research the areas S.E. of Kingman. When I move, I'll leave the Greaterville program with Robi since she will still be working that area when the mood strikes her.

Thanks to Clay, I've been learning new things on almost a daily basis. Things that I only had a faint clue about before have become much more into focus and very quickly. ANYONE that wants to be a serious miner can find something on the My Land Matters site to up their game without much effort. I'd also suggest that people go back through Clays posts here and copy them to a file for off-line reference. I know I'm going to be doing just that!
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10273 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenIrishman View Post
    I also looked into those "ToughBooks" Clay. They've got a large selection of them with different bells and whistles. Wide range of prices as well. Almost had a heart attack when I saw the prices on the higher end units! Well beyond what I'm wiling to pay for a computer that will be used in the field! Maybe a cheaper laptop with a good Pelican or Anvil case.
    Look for used CF models on eBay. Any other laptop and you will be really sorry you didn't get the daylight screen found on the Toughbooks. A regular laptop isn't going to survive dropping or kicking either, even with the pelican case.

You can pick up a good CF Toughbook touch screen version with 1.6Ghz and a Gig of ram for around $250 - $500 on eBay. You won't need anything faster for in the field work. The nice thing is you don't have to worry about "wear and tear".

Avoid the ex police models and anything from the DOD. They wipe the drives and without the Toughbook specific operating system you will lose all the cool features like GPS, Touchscreen and heated keyboard etc.

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10273 times
    Prospecting

Check Colorado Geology Map Additions

I've been so busy I forgot to put these new changes up.

The Colorado Geology Map has two new layers Faults and Dikes.

More good geology information coming soon.

Enjoy Colorado!

Heavy Pans

us
    - Finding more junk than treasure -

Mar 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
    156 times
    Prospecting
    What a great idea and informative website! I've only visited it using my phone, so I'll have to wait until I have access to a desktop computer before I can experience it fully. I look forward to seeing South Dakota added to the Claims maps. Definitely a useful tool/website, I'm going to be sure to send a donation that direction!
    BurntBear, Bejay and Clay Diggins like this.

us

Feb 2013
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4092 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    Heck Jeff95531 the "for dummies" version of help is already on the map. Just click on the "HELP" button at the top right of the map window. There is a illustrated guide to using each map tool right there. Click on the "Search" subject next to the binocular symbol in that HELP window.

Help is always there with just a click while you are using the map. If you need more information just Contact Land Matters or ask on the forum here. I'm sure your questions will be answered.

Heavy Pans
    Pretty much walked into that one...

Geico App TV Commercial, 'Pig in a Blanket' - iSpot.tv
    BurntBear likes this.

us

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    6155 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff95531 View Post
    PSA

Be advised prolonged sitting, clicking, leaning, squinting at the computer screen WILL cause back pain. Frequent breaks are required.

End of PSA
    Not to mention developing a habit of going crosseyed!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10273 times
    Prospecting

Check New Geology Feature - Tell us what you think!

I warned you there was a lot more coming.

By request we've added a few new features to the Idaho Geology Map. We've added a Faults Layer and a new Idaho Rock Samples layer with 26,000 Rock samples taken from all over the State.

The Rock Samples layer has a link to the chemical analysis of each rock sample. The analysis is presented in an easy to read table broken down by percentage or ppm (parts per million) of each element.

Even if you don't have an interest in Idaho geology I hope you will take a look at this new feature and let us know if you would like to see one of these Rock Sample layers on your State's geology map.

As you can imagine building a map from all these samples takes some considerable time. I think it's a very useful feature not only for prospectors but for rock and gem hunters or anyone interested in the nitty gritty of an areas geology. If we get good feedback on this new feature we could begin to include it in your state's geology map.

Let us know what you would like to see. Contact Land Matters.

Heavy Pans

us
    Prospector-Miner-Collector

Jul 2014
    N.E. Tennessee
    Shovels....lots of shovels!
    1280 times
    Minerals,Gemstones,Opals,Fossils & more!
    This just keeps getting better and better.
    Clay Diggins and Maitland like this.

Fine Minerals & Gemstones from the Appalachians

- My Land Matters -
    Advanced Prospecting Tools

In memory of our Brother "EagleDown" 1937-2014

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

us

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    6155 times
    Well I for one would like to see the rock samples layer in Arizona at some point in the future. As it stands right now I've got sooooo much research to do that having them there now would only be a major distraction to my current mission.

I have already been finding so many areas that I want to check out that the only way I'd ever be able to get to them all would be if I had an ACME jetpack! So many of these areas will require hiking for miles to get to them!
    BurntBear likes this.

us
    Prospector-Miner-Collector

Jul 2014
    N.E. Tennessee
    Shovels....lots of shovels!
    1280 times
    Minerals,Gemstones,Opals,Fossils & more!
    Wile. E. Coyote Prospecting 101

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DUFkZCs.gif 
Views:	185 
Size:	604.4 KB 
ID:	1091908

Fine Minerals & Gemstones from the Appalachians

- My Land Matters -
    Advanced Prospecting Tools

In memory of our Brother "EagleDown" 1937-2014

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

us

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    6155 times
    THANKS Burnt! Having grown up on Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons I should know better than to trust ANYTHING made by ACME!

Beep Beep!!!!!

Name:  p1.gif
Views: 148
Size:  7.0 KB
    BurntBear likes this.

us
    - Finding more junk than treasure -

Mar 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
    156 times
    Prospecting
    I was able to finally get away from my phone and use an actual desktop computer to check out Land Matters, and let me say I am very impressed with the accuracy! I decided to check out a few random spots with the Land Matters United States Land Status map, and then for the sake of comparison I used a mapping program provided by our local county (basically the online version of what used to be those old-fashioned plat books). The results were basically identical, here's the comparison that I did:

Name:  deadwood.gif
Views: 229
Size:  454.1 KB

View full size

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I'm really impressed with Land Matters and I hope you folks continue to keep up the good work. I have a feeling that whenever the claims maps for South Dakota get published, my rear end is going to be glued to a chair in front of a computer monitor for days-on-end! I think that it's important to know where you're at and whose land you're on anytime you're out prospecting, whether you're a weekend hobbyist or you do it for a living.
    Last edited by Maitland; Dec 14, 2014 at 01:51 PM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links