Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Like Tree1778Likes

Thread: Prospectors Research Tools

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    - Finding more junk than treasure -

Mar 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
    156 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    By request the South Dakota claims map is now available.

Much more coming soon!

Heavy Pans
    Thank you very much, that is awesome and I can't stop using it! Is there any possibility of Land Matters ever having a map showing water rights (at least the "prior appropriation" type often associated with mining) in the United States?

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10081 times
    Prospecting
    Good suggestion Maitland!
    I'll look into the possibilities there.

That South Dakota claims map has been up for 48 hours and I think you are the only one who noticed! Are there other prospectors in South Dakota on the forum? We've received several requests for the South Dakota claims maps but only one request came from TNet.

Heavy Pans

us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6049 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That Black hills Gold is multi colored too!
    Maitland likes this.

us
    - Finding more junk than treasure -

Mar 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
    156 times
    Prospecting
    Cool, thanks for looking into the possibility of water rights. The reason it's somewhat of importance to me is because myself and a few other hobbyist prospectors used to sluice and pan in an area that was part county and part state right-of-way land (in other words, non-claimable). We started getting told to leave/threatened by a large mining company in the area a few years ago who asserts they own the water rights for the creek located in the said right-of-way land, however, I've never been able to find documented proof of their ownership of the water rights. They told one guy the panning/sluicing interferes with their water quality monitoring system.

Yes, I've been happily using the SD maps since the night they were released! Leigh at Land Matters told me in a message when to expect the map to be available. Yeah, there are a few other folks from South Dakota on here, but I am not sure if they have heard of or are even aware of Land Matters at this point.
    Last edited by Maitland; Dec 19, 2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: typo
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6154 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    I have to agree that the water rights information is a great idea. I'm sure that Clay will remember that area that Robi and I were going to claim before we split up. It had a pond on it that was really a catch basin for run off from the monsoons. I had been wondering if we could use that water since it was on the claim area but never checked into it since we split up.

Water rights have been the cause of more than one battle here in the west and I for one don't want to have to fight any more battles over them.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10081 times
    Prospecting

Check New "Cities" mapping!

We've got a bunch of new maps announcements coming up tonight but I wanted to point out the new "Cities" layer that is on all the Land Matters Maps.

It's hard to find good data for cities and places. The governemt data and the census data is just about worthless. At present the best information on cities and places is owned by Google but they won't let anyone use it - including their own maps. It's all about advertising revenue and big money. Land Matters doesn't advertise and barely has enough money to keep the servers running much less millions of dollars a year to put cities and places on the map.

We finally put together our own cities and places database. We've now got more than 2 million locations mapped in the U.S. alone!

You might have noticed little green dots on the maps now and a lot more small places on the information returns. The populations and the elevations of each of those 2 million places are new too.

So why should you care? Well with all this new information you can get where you want to go on the map a lot quicker. Remember the binocular search trick I showed you in Post #149 on this thread? You can use that same sort of search to zoom right to anywhere you want to go on the map. It doesn't have to be a City or even a town - we've got all sorts of places on the map.

Here's an example:

Land Matters is in Morristown, Arizona. Never heard of it? That's because it's just a post office and an run down train depot - no town. Still you can find it on any Land matters map.

This time select the "Cities" layer from the dropdown "Spatial Datas" menu at the top of the binocular "Query Editor".

Now copy and paste this in the "Generated Query" box at the bottom of the window-

[Name] ILIKE '%morristown%'

Now click the "Apply" button.

See all those Morristowns? The one in Arizona is the one you want. Click the magnifying glass to the left of the name and the map will automagically zoom right to Morristown!

Try that with some other places you are interested in. Ever wonder where Sassafrass Hills, Georgia is? Just change your Cities search to:

[Name] ILIKE '%Sassafrass Hills%'

Nice looking area. Turn on the Aerial Photo base layer and enjoy the lake country.

Have fun. There are some really cool places in this world and now most of them can be found on any Land Matters map.

Lesson over - now on to the new maps...

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10081 times
    Prospecting

Check New South Dakota Geology Map!

We just finished the new South Dakota Claims Map this week and it seemed something was missing.

What good are claims maps without some geology to go along?

Check out the new South Dakota Geology Map. I even managed to get some faults on there.

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10081 times
    Prospecting

Check Another Tennessee Geology update!

While were on a geology roll lets get some study materials for the gold and gem folks in the South.

Starting out with:

The Tennessee Geology Map is just updated today and now has the much anticipated and requested Rock Sample Geochemistry layer.

Heavy Pans
    TheGoldProspector likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10081 times
    Prospecting

Check North Carolina AND South Carolina Geology updates!

Both North Carolina and South Carolina have had their Geology maps updated with new Faults Layers AND new Rock Sample Geochemistry layer.

I'm guessing Burnt Bear and a few others are going to be doing a lot of studying this holiday season.

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10081 times
    Prospecting

Check New Georgia Geology map updates!

To round out the offerings for our Southern friends this evening we've got a new Faults Layer as well as a Dikes Layer added to the Georgia Geology Map.

This should help explain why and where those fabulous Georgia gold deposits come from.

This southern group of states all produce good gold and some of the finest gems in the world. I'm hoping these new map layers will lead our southern mining brothers to new gems and gold in the New Year.

Happy Holidays!

and...

Heavy Pans

p.s more to come - we aren't done yet!
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Dec 19, 2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Nitric and Bejay like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10081 times
    Prospecting

Check Wyoming Claims Map!

I bet you thought I was kidding. It IS the season for giving.

I know those folks up in Wyoming are freezing their X%!ses off just waiting for the next thaw to get out there and get some of that gold waiting for them.

Might as well spend the Holiday studying up on what good gold ground is available. Land Matters claim maps are a good place to get started.

Enjoy the new Wyoming Mining Claims Map. Look for the land status and get ready for the staking season.

Heavy Pans
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Dec 19, 2014 at 09:49 PM.

us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6049 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thank you! For all the great additions! Now, I'll have to stay up all night looking at the Georgia Geology Maps!

I just read what I wrote and did not mean to make it sound like that! I meant it was exciting! Not a burden!
    Last edited by Nitric; Dec 19, 2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10081 times
    Prospecting

Check Wyoming Geology Map!

To round out the evening what could be better than a Wyoming geology map to go with that new Wyoming claims map?

The Wyoming Geology Map has a good Geology Layer as well as a Faults Layer and a Dikes Layer.

As with all the State Geology maps more and more detail and features will be added on request and as time permits.

Land Matters was created to serve the people who use the land so let us know what you would find useful to you. Most of what is available on Land Matters now is user requested and we hope to continue to build on that legacy. Contact Land Matters and let us know what you want.

That's all for tonight but you can look forward to new maps tomorrow and throughout this Holiday season.

Heavy Pans
    Bejay and KevinInColorado like this.

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6154 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    WOW!!! Clay you trying to make up with Santa here or something? Or maybe just put him out of business? There are going to be a lot of boys and girls on T-Net with big smiles when they see these updates!

I had noticed some of the green markers you mentioned a couple of days ago as they appeared as if by magic in areas that I've been researching. Places like Cedar and Six Mile Crossing. Although the towns no longer exist, I think it would be great fun to go check out the areas. Could be some interesting detecting in areas like that. I've also bee thinking of trying to locate some of the old mill sites in the area. If I can find some tailing piles it just might be educational into what kind of deposits they were working. I don't expect to find any old mills but if I did that would be very cool too.

I can see that you're on-line as I type. Log out, relax and spend some time with that sweet lady that's kind enough to put up with you! Hugs to Ruby!
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10081 times
    Prospecting
    Santa is a piker goldenIrishman. He only works one day a year!

Heavy Pans
    goldenIrishman likes this.

Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links