Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Like Tree1780Likes

Thread: Prospectors Research Tools

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10182 times
    Prospecting

Check Montana Geology Map

Since we finished up the Montana Claims Map it just made sense to put together a geology map to help our fellow prospectors to find more gems and gold. Montana has both in abundance. Some of the finest Sapphires in the world come from the Yogo gulch district and you can find good gold ground for sluicing, detecting or drywashing all in some of the most beautiful settings you could wish for.

Enjoy the Land Matters Montana Geology Map with Faults and Dikes layers.

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10182 times
    Prospecting

Red face Mining Claims Maps

With the completion of the Montana Mining Claims Map Land Matters has now finished the complete collection of the 12 western public land states with claims. We will continue to update these maps to keep you as current as we can.

Time to tally up the results of more than three months of work building these maps.

There are a Total of:

400,816 Mining Claims
    in the western mining states

345,069 of them are Lode Claims - thats 86% of all claims.

..43,930 of them are Placer Claims

..11,647 are Millsite Claims

.......170 are Tunnel Site Claims

49.4% of all Claims are in Nevada - 197,959 claims total - by far the most claims in any State.

The next largest number of claims is Arizona with just 11% of the total.

The smallest number of claims in a State is Washington with 2,720 Mining Claims - Just 0.68% of all claims.

These numbers tell a part of the story of mining in the west.

There is a lot more to tell of that story and we at Land Matters will continue to tell that story.

I've been burning the midnight oil for days to give you all the research materials I can for your Holiday Gift.
    Use it wisely, research well, and you will find the golden prize.

More to come - after I rest.

Heavy Pans to all

Barry
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Dec 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM.

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6154 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    Barry, Leigh and the rest of the team,

I'd like to thank you folks for what has got to be the best Christmas present that the prospecting and mining members of the T-Net community have ever received from a fellow member. Your efforts toward educating this ragged crew of miners and prospectors is without equal. Thanks to your efforts, not a one of us in the western states has anything close to a valid excuse for not being able to up our game in the hunt for that elusive metal that we all love to play hide and seek with!

I know that I will be elbow deep in research for quite some time to come and if the other members here are as smart as I think they are, they will be too!

Knowledge like this is TRULY the gift that keeps on giving!

Jeff
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2354 times
    Prospecting
    The thanks is much appreciated. And surely for the mining community the ability of miners to obtain all the information they need to have their own claim(s) has become extensive! Many individuals were buying claims off of Ebay etc....with a monetary cost. The amount of hours spent providing this information by dedicated, expert individuals is beyond ones belief. Public TV broadcasting and Public Radio are always asking for contributions.

There is no doubt such monetary giving is necessary to keep Land Matters ongoing; as it cost money just to keep it alive on the net. More important will be the ability to obtain the 501C3 non-profit status and the ability of Land Matters to acquire grants and support from other monetary givers. Land matters is designed as a Learning Tool providing endless amounts of information/knowledge.

While there is no doubt Christmas is a time demanding a lot from individuals, please give thought to supporting Land Matters with a giving contribution....every little bit helps at this time of year. Thank You and all thanks is appreciated.
    Merry Christmas to all....enjoy
    Bejay
    Clay Diggins, benny and BurntBear like this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Chickasha,Oklahoma
    1280 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bejay View Post
    The thanks is much appreciated. And surely for the mining community the ability of miners to obtain all the information they need to have their own claim(s) has become extensive! Many individuals were buying claims off of Ebay etc....with a monetary cost. The amount of hours spent providing this information by dedicated, expert individuals is beyond ones belief. Public TV broadcasting and Public Radio are always asking for contributions. There is no doubt such monetary giving is necessary to keep Land Matters ongoing; as it cost money just to keep it alive on the net. More important will be the ability to obtain the 501C3 non-profit status and the ability of Land Matters to acquire grants and support from other monetary givers. Land matters is designed as a Learning Tool providing endless amounts of information/knowledge. While there is no doubt Christmas is a time demanding a lot from individuals, please give thought to supporting Land Matters with a giving contribution....every little bit helps at this time of year. Thank You and all thanks is appreciated. Merry Christmas to all....enjoy Bejay
    Well said bejay I have donated and supporting the Oklahoma geology map for 6 months
    Bejay and BurntBear like this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/GeologyOK/GetMap

"If the Gold dont care neither do I"
    Shawn Pomrenke

4" Proline 2" Jobe combo 2.5" Keene 2.5" subbie Drywasher Spiral Wheel Minelab Detector

us
    Jan 2012
    Chickasha,Oklahoma
    1280 times
    Prospecting
    Alright all my Oklahoma friends get over to Land Matters and check out the Oklahoma Geology Map. It has a wealth of info and will help in our search for the elusive yellar metal. I have sponsored the map for 6 months starting 1/1/15 so no donation popup but please consider that option there is untold hours that was put into Land Matters to help everyone that uses public land. I can not thank Clay Diggins enough.
    Heavy Pans to all I got to go mining
    Bejay likes this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/GeologyOK/GetMap

"If the Gold dont care neither do I"
    Shawn Pomrenke

4" Proline 2" Jobe combo 2.5" Keene 2.5" subbie Drywasher Spiral Wheel Minelab Detector

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor /Galice Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats Keene A52P Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    11309 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thank you!
    I donate to PLP, I will now send donations your way.
    So do you plan to do a land Matters Canadian version?
    Clay Diggins and Bejay like this.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of your life.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

us
    Oct 2008
    Fort Dick, Ca.
    974 times
    You folks have truly provided a wonderful and useful tool to the mining and prospecting community. I'm sure other user groups will catch on as well.
    Thank you so much, a very Merry Christmas to you all.

If you ever get back this way, feel welcome to look me up.

Mike
    Clay Diggins, Jeff95531 and Bejay like this.

us

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    6154 times
    Well just as I was starting the last of my planned sections for my "field kit" version of the AZ claims map, things started wigging out with Verizon again. While I can still get the map to load it is not complete. Map shows up after a very long wait and it has the layer selections shown, but none of the map controls. (Zoom in/out, Info, Search, Refresh etc) Needless to say I'm not a happy camper right now when it comes to our Verizon service. It took me over half an hour just to get to this thread because EVERYTHING is loading so slow. I know it's not this computer as I've tried on the others with the same results. The computers here are not networked so I doubt it's some kind of virus causing this. that can only leave me to assume it's Verizon playing around with their compression algorithms again.

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    3741 times
    We're thinking of moving back to Alaska. Sure would like to see some detailed maps of the Independence area down to Eagle River. Probably going to buy or build somewhere in that area again. Maybe up to Talkeetna. I need a good gold bearing stream where I can dredge and fight with the salmon again, hehe. I checked the Alaska map or world map and I know the area but everything helps
    Bejay, Hefty1 and BurntBear like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10182 times
    Prospecting

Quote Originally Posted by okbasspro View Post
    Well said bejay I have donated and supporting the Oklahoma geology map for 6 months
    Thank you okbasspro. You, and several other members here, have provided great, and much needed, support to Land Matters.

By sponsoring the Oklahoma Geology Map you also helped your fellow prospectors. Now anyone studying Oklahoma geology can link directly into that map. No more donate window to click through. Users can make a favorite or bookmark and go directly to the map anytime they want or share the link.

I was surprised how many people have been using the Oklahoma geology map. I have heard that there isn't much gold to be had in Oklahoma. okbasspro has proven that to be entirely wrong. This is one gold getting guy!

We will be meeting up with okbasspro this coming spring to meet the Oklahoma gold legend and thank him for his support in person. I hope the users of his Oklahoma Geology Map will thank him also. You might even consider walking in his footsteps. ;-)

Thanks Again

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10182 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Viking View Post
    Thank you!

So do you plan to do a land Matters Canadian version?
    You are welcome Oregon Viking and thank you for your support.

Land Matters will be providing more information and mapping of Canada soon. We plan to eventually cover the entire world. That's going to take a lot of work and a lot of support from the land users community but we will get it done with your guidance and support.

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10182 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorter View Post
    You folks have truly provided a wonderful and useful tool to the mining and prospecting community. I'm sure other user groups will catch on as well.
    Thank you so much, a very Merry Christmas to you all.

If you ever get back this way, feel welcome to look me up.

Mike
    You are welcome Mike and thank you for your generous support!

Please let other land users know about Land Matters, we rely on users to guide our growth. We want to provide users with what they need and that's going to require feedback from all land using groups. We have already attracted the interest of several other groups. All are welcome.

We might just take you up on your kind offer Mike. Leigh has never visited your area of the country and my tales of the beauty there have her planning next summer's journey to include that area of the coast. Maybe in time for the Lily bloom?

Thank you again and a Merry Christmas to you!

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10182 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed Lukens View Post
    We're thinking of moving back to Alaska. Sure would like to see some detailed maps of the Independence area down to Eagle River. Probably going to buy or build somewhere in that area again. Maybe up to Talkeetna. I need a good gold bearing stream where I can dredge and fight with the salmon again, hehe. I checked the Alaska map or world map and I know the area but everything helps
    Thanks for the suggestion Reed. This is the sort of feedback that gives us our purpose. I'll see what we can find that will help you look over the area. I'll post to this thread as we add more information and maps.

Heavy Pans
    Reed Lukens likes this.

us

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    6154 times
    I'm not sure what it would take to do it, but I was thinking that having the Topo map info come up in the window when you click on a section with the information cursor could be a very handy thing. That way someone doing research into an area would know the name of the map they need to download from USGS before they head out to an area. I know it would be a LOT of work since I've gotten over 110 maps for Mohave County so far and I'm only about 2/3 of the way done.

I'm currently working up my field kit version of all the management information by township/range and section and including which map(s) that info is covering. I'm currently about halfway done with the section from the La Paz county line all the way north to I-40. I'll do another one up in time for the areas north of I-40.

Here is a hint for anyone that is going to down load maps from the USGS site. If you want the PLSS data on the maps, DO NOT download the most current version!!! They have omitted that information on the newest maps. While the new versions come with an aerial view layer that can be turned on and off as needed, that got rid of the PLSS data. It doesn't make any sense to me, but I don't think it would have been much work to include it on the new versions. No one at USGS could give me an explanation as to why it's not included.

Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links