Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So would I be correct in thinking that the adjusted claim descriptions would have to be filed at the County Recorders office? There are some areas I want to test, but of course I don't want to step on any fellow miners toes.

Yep the County Recorder would be the next step to finding out where those claims ended up. You might take a real close look because they may have claimed the other 140 acres per quarter section too. That won't show up on LR2000 for several months usually.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Stan and Mike. Your support has been critical to Land Matters. It's nice to hear you like the work. :thumbsup:

Land Matters has several really big projects in the works but it's going to take more supporters like SLNugget and delnorter to make those plans a reality. Any support is appreciated.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
clay diggins, thanks very much for your nice site it is very helpful.
i noticed you are giving information on other states as well and was just wondering
if you plan on doing anything with idaho.
thanks.

You are welcome davin. I'm glad the site is helping you.

You can find all the higher level maps for Idaho ready to go in their respective map sections. :thumbsup:

Idaho Geology.

Idaho Mining Claims.

Idaho Land Status.

Let me know what else you would like to see mapped or in the library.

Heavy Pans

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. So if I go into the mining claims for a given state, it will show all the "active" or "currently registered" claims with that county? And that claim falls somewhere inside the box on the map?

The only reason I ask is because I remember Washington having a lot more claims in a few areas. Maybe the claim owners stopped paying their dues, but that opens the area up for me! I headed out tomorrow to check out an area I am considering putting a claim on.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Barry and the team keep it as up to date as possible but even they can't be 100% all the time as I found out. (See my earlier post Houston we have a problem) BLM can update things after the team does an update as what happened in the area I'm researching. Your absolute best bet is to get your areas basic data from the site and then go to the county recorders office to verify everything. Like Barry said, the BLM is slow in getting things posted at the best of time.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Clay or anyone...where do I find the color key for the land management maps...I tried info button..I'm sure im just missing something easy....I know what blm and F.S. is but, im in an area with other colors as well.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. So if I go into the mining claims for a given state, it will show all the "active" or "currently registered" claims with that county? And that claim falls somewhere inside the box on the map?

The only reason I ask is because I remember Washington having a lot more claims in a few areas. Maybe the claim owners stopped paying their dues, but that opens the area up for me! I headed out tomorrow to check out an area I am considering putting a claim on.

Always check the land status first. Just because the LR2000 doesn't show any claims doesn't mean the land is open to prospecting.

I do my research in this order:

1. Check land management and make a note of the Township Range and Section(s) of interest.
  2. Check the Master Title Plats for withdrawals etc.
  3. Check the Section(s) for existing ACTIVE LR2000 claims.
  4. Check the County Recorder for new claims and get a copy of existing ACTIVE claims location notices.
  5. Plot the existing ACTIVE claims on to a map and define the area(s) that are still open to prospecting.
  6. Check for claims corners and Monuments on the ground.
If you always follow these steps before prospecting you have done your "due diligence" required by law. Anything less and you may be subject to arrest, fines or a generally miserable day.

Once you have been through this process a few times it will become second nature. You will learn a lot about your area of interest and will have much more productive boots on the ground time.

All successful prospectors learn and use these research skills. There is a lot more to being a successful prospector than operating a shovel or digging on the inside of the bend.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey Clay or anyone...where do I find the color key for the land management maps...I tried info button..I'm sure im just missing something easy....I know what blm and F.S. is but, im in an area with other colors as well.

There is no color key available. The colors are consistent across the United States but to learn what any particular color represents you will need to use the magic [i] information tool button. After clicking on the [i] just click on your area of interest on the map and the land management agency for that spot will show in the results.

Areas of no color are private lands and will not return a land manager type when queried.

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
you can also zoom in on a section and the land management group will show up on the map. Have to zoom in pretty tight to see it though.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no color key available. The colors are consistent across the United States but to learn what any particular color represents you will need to use the magic [i] information tool button. After clicking on the [i] just click on your area of interest on the map and the land management agency for that spot will show in the results.

Areas of no color are private lands and will not return a land manager type when queried.

Heavy Pans

Which is what I normally do and cool I have paper maps with the key so duh....it's the same I should have realized...
There were a few areas that were shaded to me at least in a darker shade but not colored???? The info just said California 1850...I'm on my phone now I'll double check when I am st my laptop later.... I'm sure it was just me not paying attention.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok ..went for a nice walk... found several prospects and a few larger digs..and a quartz waste pile chock full of quartz pieces with crystal faces and several small specimens and individual sunbaker terminated crystals. nothing big will be going back tomorrow with a rake and my GBpro. No one has properly hit the pile I only found one hole and to many crystals.
I already knew it was open land no claims. I came home to do some other research on Mylandmatters Historic claims to cross reference with my paper maps and books etc...Well, apparently cyber karma has decided that since this area is minutes from home that I cannot open multiple map taps without other open maps refreshing to the new/other map...I right click, open new tab..even open new window...no matter what all windows will be the same map. I have never had this sort of thing happen. I can't however thing of a time where I was using one sight to look at different maps simultaneously...but, I think maybe I have:icon_scratch:.
This in no way is a complaint the sites virtue far outweighs any glitch or slowness plus I'm pretty cyber ignorant as far as web settings and such...mainly an observation. I'm still able to research. Curious if its only me though!

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok ..went for a nice walk... found several prospects and a few larger digs..and a quartz waste pile chock full of quartz pieces with crystal faces and several small specimens and individual sunbaker terminated crystals. nothing big will be going back tomorrow with a rake and my GBpro. No one has properly hit the pile I only found one hole and to many crystals.
I already knew it was open land no claims. I came home to do some other research on Mylandmatters Historic claims to cross reference with my paper maps and books etc...Well, apparently cyber karma has decided that since this area is minutes from home that I cannot open multiple map taps without other open maps refreshing to the new/other map...I right click, open new tab..even open new window...no matter what all windows will be the same map. I have never had this sort of thing happen. I can't however thing of a time where I was using one sight to look at different maps simultaneously...but, I think maybe I have:icon_scratch:.
This in no way is a complaint the sites virtue far outweighs any glitch or slowness plus I'm pretty cyber ignorant as far as web settings and such...mainly an observation. I'm still able to research. Curious if its only me though!

It's not just you Goldwasher.

The maps are designed to be custom to each user. Each user only gets one map to use at a time. You can open as many map windows as you like but the same map extents and layers will show in each window - as you discovered. :laughing7:

I actually designed it that way because the server would be pounded if everyone could open as many different maps as they like. It's in the long term plans to change that with bigger faster servers but until Land Matters gets a more stable support base we will have to keep the maps opened by each user limited to one.

In the meantime I can make maps with the layers users want together in one map. Just tell me what features you want to be able to see together on a map and I'll see if we can put that together for all users. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Clay.... Just thought I would stop by. Hope all is well with you and wife...

All is well AzViper. We've survived for another sizzling summer. Ruby says we have got to hit the road for cooler climes next summer, no more sizzling. :laughing7:

It's good to see you back on the forums, I've missed your posts and projects.

Any chance you will get a new knee in time for some prospecting this fall? I've still got that spot with all the nuggets reserved for you on Rich Hill! I hope you can come out and play soon. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans
Barry

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does "Land Matters" show wild and scenic/National forest boundaries? The Smith river in CA is mostly hands and pans only. But a map showing where those areas are would be nice. Unless I missed something.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does "Land Matters" show wild and scenic/National forest boundaries? The Smith river in CA is mostly hands and pans only. But a map showing where those areas are would be nice. Unless I missed something.

Land Matters does show the Forest boundaries on the Land Status maps. A much more complete Forest map set with the purchase units and the actual ownership of Forest designated lands is also in the works.

Wild/Scenic/Recreational and the other withdrawal classes are still to be mapped. Those are high on our project lists. You will find the Wilderness withdrawals are already mapped on the Land Status and Wilderness maps.

Another map set we are eager to bring to the public is the subsurface (mineral) ownership maps. It's a little known fact that there are about 200 million acres of claimable land not in the Federally managed public lands. Once we complete that map prospectors will have a world of new opportunities open to them. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

kabah088

Jun 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Land Matters does show the Forest boundaries on the Land Status maps. A much more complete Forest map set with the purchase units and the actual ownership of Forest designated lands is also in the works.

Wild/Scenic/Recreational and the other withdrawal classes are still to be mapped. Those are high on our project lists. You will find the Wilderness withdrawals are already mapped on the Land Status and Wilderness maps.

Another map set we are eager to bring to the public is the subsurface (mineral) ownership maps. It's a little known fact that there are about 200 million acres of claimable land not in the Federally managed public lands. Once we complete that map prospectors will have a world of new opportunities open to them. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Cannot wait.

I have found the site very useful.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Land Matters should declare non-profit status, then you could have raffles, fund raising drives etc.:icon_thumright:
Get Garrett, Gold Hog, Keene, Kellyco to donate merchandise...raffle it off! They get a tax write off, you get all new servers and what ever else you need. Worthy cause.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land Matters should declare non-profit status, then you could have raffles, fund raising drives etc.:icon_thumright:
Get Garrett, Gold Hog, Keene, Kellyco to donate merchandise...raffle it off! They get a tax write off, you get all new servers and what ever else you need. Worthy cause.

Land Matters is already a non profit. :thumbsup:

Land Matters is a really small non profit. It really comes down to a choice, do you spend your time giving users what they want or do you spend the time raising funds? Right now we are spending time building tools for Land Matters users. That may have to change soon if we don't see more support from users. :BangHead:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Claims Maps Updated to September 1, 2015!

Mining Claims Maps are now updated for the new mining year that started September 1st. :thumbsup:

This is a big update that took a lot of database time. Leigh has been working the databases hard this past week to get the new mining claims information working with the new PLSS from BLM. This took several long days of mind numbing programming and correcting all the errors in the BLM database but the claims should be good to go until the next PLSS update.

Let us know if you see any problems. We proofed for hours but it's always possible we missed something.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread