Prospectors Research Tools - Page 60
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast
Like Tree1958Likes

Thread: Prospectors Research Tools

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    Northern Nevada
    MineLab GPZ 7000 Garrett ATX Pro
    782 times
    Prospecting
    Guys I just sent in another donation to mylandmatters.org

That site has grown so much and has added knowledge we just can not find anywhere else. I do not have a dog in this fight but they (like you guys) are important to my search for gold and in finding/maintaining claims. I know that even small donations make a big difference.

These are some crazy times and I think gold is going to become even more valuable in this country. The more we know about getting/keeping claims and finding gold is going to pay off handsomely. For some of us this is going to become full-time work just to support our families. It has happened before.

Thanks for listening!!

Chuck
    Clay Diggins and russau like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11414 times
    Prospecting
    Of course the Land Matters mining claims maps were updated last Tuesday!

This mining year is coming to an end. I won't have the final numbers until September but it looks like COVID and a crashing economy didn't slow down claim staking a bit.

The month of August is traditionally when new mining claim locations slow down. This is due to the additional expense of "bridge" claims. A bridge claim is one that's located within 90 days of the close of the federal mining year. That new claim location when filed with the BLM will require two annual payments to cover the past 2020 mining year and the upcoming 2021 mining year beginning September 1. If the locator waits until September 1 only one years fees are due.

Despite the bridge claim fees new claim locations outnumbered closed claims more than 18:1 these last 15 days. There were 131 closed claims and 2.371 new claim locations in the last 15 days. That's about 4 times the volume of new claims over the same period last year.

Go get u sum!

Heavy Pans

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    729 times
    Prospecting
    Wow. Lots of new claims.

Something I guess I still haven't figured out is how a claim's disposition becomes "closed". I assume once payments/waivers are overdue that would happen but that's just part of the year. What causes a claim to go closed during this time? I figure you could probably voluntarily close your own claim but I don't see a reason for that do be done much.
    et1955 likes this.

us
    Jul 2019
    Arizona
    16 times
    Prospecting
    Is there a way to show the ACTUAL claim boundaries instead of a giant swath of TRS generated claim area?

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1087 times
    Prospecting
    For now the best way is to contact the BLM and for a fee get copies of the Quit claim deeds of claims in the area you are interested in, I did that for my claims in N. Cali. , I took that info and marked all the boundaries on Google earth map and as of now I am monitoring them threw " MY Land Matters " as of there status, hoping to expand.
    russau likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table, etc.
    5602 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    Yes, Thank You very much
    Proceeds from the next nugget I find will be donated to Land Matters. And I hope it's a big one.
    Going nugget hunting tomorrow down by Wickenburg, Hope I find a huge one for the cause!

GG~
    Clay Diggins and russau like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12805 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoydBros View Post
    Is there a way to show the ACTUAL claim boundaries instead of a giant swath of TRS generated claim area?
    It will be in the BLM file. Changes to much to be able to maintain a realtime interactive map. Not to mention all the improperly described claims.

us
    Jul 2019
    Arizona
    16 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    It will be in the BLM file. Changes to much to be able to maintain a realtime interactive map. Not to mention all the improperly described claims.
    Are the BLM files online?

us
    Jan 2015
    San Francisco, Ca
    184 times
    Prospecting
    No. They're in Sacramento, if youre in CA.
    BoydBros and Clay Diggins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11414 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by BoydBros View Post
    No there is not. The claim representations on Land Matters are by the Section - which is generally a square mile. Anyone that offers you any better mapping online is yanking your chain.

If you click the link to the serial register page link on the Land Matters map you will see that the claims are classified to the nearest quarter section(s) so you can get a general idea of where the claim is situated. The location laws only require location description to the nearest quarter section. Often claims cross over section boundaries and even township boundaries so a simple 20 acre claim can be located in four townships, four sections and four quarter sections at the same time. That's not a theory I've seen it several times and the BLM has no system to describe those claims. Often they file the claim in just one of the township/sections/quarter sections and call it good enough.

Mapping of individual claims is part of what I do for a living every day. Thousands of claims every year. I have a system worked out over many years to make it as simple and accurate as possible. I'm happy to share that process but in my experience most people try to simplify the system to a short version with workarounds which turns into a mess in the field when the reality of ground truth sets in. That can waste a lot of time or in some circumstances might work just fine. Since I work for professionals I can't take the chance on workarounds but your time is your own so it's your decision.

Goldwasher points to one method that can be useful. He knows his stuff and he has used his system to his advantage. It will usually get you in the ballpark but not always. There are a few drawbacks to getting copies of location notices from the BLM instead of obtaining copies of the county Records. I strongly suggest going with the County records even though they can sometimes be more expensive (often they are free if you know how to talk in County Recorder language).

The first problem is actually getting the right files. I've dealt with California State BLM for years and I seldom get all the notices/amendments I've ordered in one go. It often takes several tries to get all the requested filings. Most other State BLM offices do better but California can be difficult.

The second and much bigger problem is that the BLM files are not verifiable. I've run into several claim locations that were never recorded at the county and most amendments never get recorded at the county. That means that legally the claim or amended claim doesn't actually exist. A public record is required by law to keep the claim valid and BLM case files are not public records. One of the GPAA's most popular California claims has never been recorded at the county so of course that claim and all the others like it are null and void. You would never know that if you relied exclusively on the BLM files.

Despite the complexity of discovering actual claim locations it is a legal requirement every prospector must meet before they put boots on the ground to prospect. Prospectors have been accomplishing this since at least 1866 so with modern technology your task is much easier than it was even 30 years ago. I was doing this long before electronic records or the internet and although it was slower and more difficult back with the dinosaurs it's the same process I do today from the comfort of my office.

If you have an interest in a particular area go to the effort to at least research and draw out the claim boundaries on a topo map. I suggest you use a pencil because those claim boundaries will change over time. Once you have defined an open area of interest put boots on the ground and find the claim corners near your area, adjust your map to reflect the actual locations on the ground and go about prospecting the open areas with the confidence that you have done your required due diligence before prospecting. If you find a good deposit locate a claim. If you don't have success move on to another area and rinse and repeat the above procedure. That's how real prospecting is done and it does pay off, as I'm sure several posters here can tell you.

Heavy Pans
    et1955, Rail Dawg and qmikep like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    Northern Nevada
    782 times
    Prospecting
    Clay please know how useful your information is to us.

It's appreciated that you take the time to educate.

Chuck
    Last edited by Rail Dawg; Oct 17, 2020 at 03:28 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table, etc.
    5602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    Going nugget hunting tomorrow down by Wickenburg, Hope I find a huge one for the cause!

GG~
    No luck so far, but I will never give up

Attachment 1872470
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Oct 17, 2020 at 04:13 PM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4884 times
    Buddy there's always tomorrow !
    Clay Diggins and Goodyguy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    Northern Nevada
    782 times
    Prospecting
    Quick question on a lode claim filing.

If the lode claim is located entirely within a Government Lot what do you put in the 1/4 box on the Lode Mining Claim (Nevada) form?

Thanks!

Chuck

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11414 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Dawg View Post
    Quick question on a lode claim filing.

If the lode claim is located entirely within a Government Lot what do you put in the 1/4 box on the Lode Mining Claim (Nevada) form?

Thanks!

Chuck
    Put the 1/4 section the lot is located in.

If the claim is the entire lot you just need to use the lot designation to locate. If it's a portion of a lot you need to locate by metes and bounds. There is no such thing as a 1/2 or 1/4 of a lot.

Heavy Pans
    Rail Dawg likes this.

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast

Sponsored Links