Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I for one would like to see the rock samples layer in Arizona at some point in the future. As it stands right now I've got sooooo much research to do that having them there now would only be a major distraction to my current mission.

I have already been finding so many areas that I want to check out that the only way I'd ever be able to get to them all would be if I had an ACME jetpack! So many of these areas will require hiking for miles to get to them!

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Wile. E. Coyote Prospecting 101

DUFkZCs.gif

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
THANKS Burnt! Having grown up on Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons I should know better than to trust ANYTHING made by ACME!

Beep Beep!!!!!

p1.gif

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was able to finally get away from my phone and use an actual desktop computer to check out Land Matters, and let me say I am very impressed with the accuracy! I decided to check out a few random spots with the Land Matters United States Land Status map, and then for the sake of comparison I used a mapping program provided by our local county (basically the online version of what used to be those old-fashioned plat books). The results were basically identical, here's the comparison that I did:

[URL='http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1091959&d=1418586213'] deadwood.gif
[/URL]View full size

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I'm really impressed with Land Matters and I hope you folks continue to keep up the good work. I have a feeling that whenever the claims maps for South Dakota get published, my rear end is going to be glued to a chair in front of a computer monitor for days-on-end! I think that it's important to know where you're at and whose land you're on anytime you're out prospecting, whether you're a weekend hobbyist or you do it for a living.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Clay and the rest of the team have put a lot of thought and effort into the site and it really shows. As they keep bringing new features online it will only get better and better. It is already at a point where anyone that is serious about mining and prospecting pretty much has everything they need to do some serious research. Between the claims maps with all their layers and the geology maps, you can be well ahead of the curve when compared to those trying to do things the old school way.

I vote that for Christmas we get Clay and the rest of the team clones! That way they can take a break and get out and enjoy life from time to time.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Idaho Mining Claims Map now available

By request* the Idaho Mining Claims Map is now available.

Idaho currently has:
18,983 -Lode Claims
2,191 -Placer Claims
436 -Millsite Claims
16.... -Tunnel Site Claims
21,626 Claims Total

There have been so many requests lately for Idaho we've made this an Idaho weekend. Be sure to check out the new Idaho Geology while you are looking at those claims maps.

Heavy Pans

*I know that Idaho doesn't have a very big population so either they have a lot of miners needing stuff put up on Land Matters or there is some Chicago style voting going on. :laughing7:

Either way I hope this helps the folks in Idaho find some good gold, gems and minerals! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Come on Clay! How many time do I have to tell you I'm psycho? ... errr I mean psychic

I don't recall you ever telling me about your mental illness ... errr mental abilities. Must have been the voices in your head talking. :laughing7:

I'm waiting and watching for the arrival of the Christmas clones. I'm unsure whether it will be creepy or erotic or ...? this is all new to me. I'm having second thoughts. :icon_scratch: ??? :dontknow:

Enjoy your holidays Jeff! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Barry

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, so I waited as long as I could before checking out the rock samples layer because I was afraid of what it would do to me, lol.

This new feature could possibly be one of the greatest prospecting tools to-date for mineral and gemstone hunters. It just opened a new world of ideas for me. Mindat has locality features; but it's not mapped like this is. I'm just enthralled. :occasion14:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OH MY!!!! He mentioned that OTHER site!!!! LOL Don't get me wrong, they've got a ton of good data there but they really need to get it all into a more useable form.

PUBLIC WARNING: Combining a severe case of "Gold Fever" with the contents of My Land Matters may lead to an increase of knowledge at an advanced rate. This has been proven to increase the amount of gold you find which in turn increases the severity of your Gold Fever. Our prescription... Find two (or more) nuggets and post pictures of them in the morning. END OF PUBLIC WARNING

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been so busy I forgot to put these new changes up. :BangHead:

The Colorado Geology Map has two new layers Faults and Dikes.

More good geology information coming soon. :thumbsup:

Enjoy Colorado!

Heavy Pans
6c0.png
Welly well well well old droogies.
Now I see why I got skunked last weekend. Dune sand and silt. Will use map next time to pick a prospecting spot for sure!

Last edited:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think ive mentioned it before but cant remember where. If you find maps from different years of the same area, i like to print my maps out on Transparency paper. its what the teachers used to use for over head projectors. Then i layer them on top of one another from oldest to newest to see the changes in topography over the years. it can help you find those in-between places of a river, creek, stream, or even show landslides.

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OH MY!!!! He mentioned that OTHER site!!!! LOL Don't get me wrong, they've got a ton of good data there but they really need to get it all into a more useable form.

PUBLIC WARNING: Combining a severe case of "Gold Fever" with the contents of My Land Matters may lead to an increase of knowledge at an advanced rate. This has been proven to increase the amount of gold you find which in turn increases the severity of your Gold Fever. Our prescription... Find two (or more) nuggets and post pictures of them in the morning. END OF PUBLIC WARNING

Indeed, their usability is pretty much non-existent. This, is just awesome in every aspect!

Duckwalk, that is a great idea! I may need to consider that in the future for particular areas. -Luke

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Those transparency sheets are great! Not only can you print and then stack them like Ducky said, but once you've found an area you can mark it on the transparency sheet instead of the map. That way if someone doesn't know exactly which map it goes with and how it lines up, they'll never be able to find your "secret" spot! Plus you're not messing your good maps up by writing on them. If you need larger pieces of the clear stuff, many art supply stores carry it in different sizes including full map size. Get the kind that is meant to be written on. It will feel rough on one side and smooth on the other.

Ducky... The USGS map site has some maps that you might be interested in as they go way back. Best part about them is that they're free to download. If you need help with their site just let me know.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why in the name of baby Jesus isn't this thread a sticky yet?
Great work guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions