NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tell us your results too.

Not much of any results to tell lol. I hiked penny weight to Stevens and hiked quite a ways up there. Bedrock looked fairly cleaned out and busted up along the way. Sluices, buckets and other types of equipment stashed everywhere. Also garbage everywhere.. broken shovels and other broken mining tools old camping gear thrown around and torn up everywhere. People camping EVERYWHERE out there. Every little side trail going down to the river was occupied by either regular campers or homeless people who were camping out and mining. I didn't want to invade so turned around whenever I came across a camp. All the areas I came across didn't look good for sniping only good if you clear it with a big sluice first. I didn't bother. I'll try Yankee Jims next...

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not much of any results to tell lol. I hiked penny weight to Stevens and hiked quite a ways up there. Bedrock looked fairly cleaned out and busted up along the way. Sluices, buckets and other types of equipment stashed everywhere. Also garbage everywhere.. broken shovels and other broken mining tools old camping gear thrown around and torn up everywhere. People camping EVERYWHERE out there. Every little side trail going down to the river was occupied by either regular campers or homeless people who were camping out and mining. I didn't want to invade so turned around whenever I came across a camp. All the areas I came across didn't look good for sniping only good if you clear it with a big sluice first. I didn't bother. I'll try Yankee Jims next...
Dang N8. Sorry to hear the day was shot to the heavens... I sure hope the next trip is much better. :)!

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang N8. Sorry to hear the day was shot to the heavens... I sure hope the next trip is much better. :)!

Wasn't a total loss. Got a good hike in and some exploration time. I like exploring places I've never been. Also had someone call on my bazooka that I was selling as I was hiking out so I got that sold =]

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wasn't a total loss. Got a good hike in and some exploration time. I like exploring places I've never been. Also had someone call on my bazooka that I was selling as I was hiking out so I got that sold =]
Awesome man, so today wasnt too bad afterall. Glad to hear it. :)
Pennyweight, litterally, i have seen more people there, more often, than anywhere in the mountainset (prospecting of course)..

EriktheProspector

Jun 13, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hey NuggetN8, Mineral Bar has been insanely picked over as it's the most easily accessible gold bearing location on the NF American. I've prospected here extensively, but don't anymore. It's where a lot of prospectors get their chops before they learn to go elsewhere. I've had the same experience you had; hiking up and encountering the territorial river hobos, the trash..
The trash and the attitudes made me saddened, but the amount of people out there looking for gold made me feel like I was back in the 1850's gold rush. It was exciting and disappointing at the same time. Probably like the real gold rush :-/

If you want to go prospecting in that area I could show you some places I like to go where there's good color. If you're interested shoot me a message with your # and good times to call, and we can chat over the phone about a possible gold adventure in the future.

In the mean time,
may your pans be yellow!
E the P

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey NuggetN8, Mineral Bar has been insanely picked over as it's the most easily accessible gold bearing location on the NF American. I've prospected here extensively, but don't anymore. It's where a lot of prospectors get their chops before they learn to go elsewhere. I've had the same experience you had; hiking up and encountering the territorial river hobos, the trash.. The trash and the attitudes made me saddened, but the amount of people out there looking for gold made me feel like I was back in the 1850's gold rush. It was exciting and disappointing at the same time. Probably like the real gold rush :-/ If you want to go prospecting in that area I could show you some places I like to go where there's good color. If you're interested shoot me a message with your # and good times to call, and we can chat over the phone about a possible gold adventure in the future. In the mean time, may your pans be yellow! E the P

Very true, mineral bar was my learning grounds until GoldenMojo turned me on to a new spot which I enjoy. Never experienced the large amount of trash or the hobos, probably a good thing I didn't encounter them.

Meagen's Dad

Greenie
Feb 26, 2013
Crestline, Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Erik, I just got home from my first trip up North, I went to Bear River for a couple days then a friend who just moved up there (actually camping out until he brings his family up when school lets out) took me first to Yankee Jims where we went down river a ways, found some color but nothing much, next day we went to Mineral Bar, hiked down river to the gravel bar/rapids at the corner (about 3/4 mile I guess) same result found a little color but not much. I plan on coming up that way a few times from this coming spring through the fall, would love to connect & try some new spots.

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Erik, I just got home from my first trip up North, I went to Bear River for a couple days then a friend who just moved up there (actually camping out until he brings his family up when school lets out) took me first to Yankee Jims where we went down river a ways, found some color but nothing much, next day we went to Mineral Bar, hiked down river to the gravel bar/rapids at the corner (about 3/4 mile I guess) same result found a little color but not much. I plan on coming up that way a few times from this coming spring through the fall, would love to connect & try some new spots.

Is this the EFGPC "Scout"? ;-)
- Sideways

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sherry here is a report . Weather will be In the 60's on Thursday and Friday. No chance of rain until late Friday night Water will be cold with variations in flow due to snow melt.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the NFAR area had a storm starting ~ 21Nov, high water peaked ~ 10 AM on the 23rd (600 CFS) and is now down to about 100 CFS which is up from the ~ 40 CFS it has been at for some months now.

Ah the North Fork, my I miss that river and the mountains and etc. For the diligent seeker gold can be found but the further away from the easy to get to spots the better the gold could be, one must still pick their spots with wisdom to put themselves in the most likely spot to be able to find any gold.

And yes the water is likely to be cold as in mid August it is typically 54 F with the sun shining on it from early in the morning. In the late 70's it would be 72 F by noon but a year or two later it dropped to the 54 F area and has stayed there for many years.

Best of success with your efforts..................63bkpkr

170_7011.JPG The NFAR is a "bit" downhill from this feeder stream picture. Just out of the picture to the left is the hard rock gold mine that the water cut through and delivered the tell tale trail of gold to the heavier water below this spot that drove it all the way down to the NFAR. Must have been awesome to come across the gold from the vein! By the way, getting to this outback location with a light pack is not easy and with an 85 lb pack it is a downright work out though even the scenery is worth the effort. Should you decide to tackle some of the back country be sure you are in really good physical condition or you could be risking your life.

Last edited:

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Was out at the nfar on Sunday. The river has risen about a foot and bye bye to the crystal green water and hello murky fast flowing river! Had plans of sluicing but my hole in the river is now under about 4 feet of water. Still had a great day and found a little color :) maybe I'll see you guys out there on friday

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Luck to you ALL this week: Happy Holiday to you ALL!

Heavy Pans. God Speed.
(wish I could arrive fashionably late; but it doesn't look like the opportunity has arisen.

Be well Everyone!

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, I have spent some time in the Mineral Bar area. Never had any issues like you guys describe. I always went up river sniping and did pretty well, especially since I am from Az. and used to dry placer. Such a shame to hear it is being trashed out there these days. Used to be easy work to snipe a few grams in a peaceful day without seeing anybody except at the campground. Dennis

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Luck to you ALL this week: Happy Holiday to you ALL!

Heavy Pans. God Speed.
(wish I could arrive fashionably late; but it doesn't look like the opportunity has arisen.

Be well Everyone!

TGP, oh darn! I was looking forward to meeting you. Well I'm positive I'll be up again one day. Until then... Heavy pans!

Meagen's Dad

Greenie
Feb 26, 2013
Crestline, Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Sherry it is I "Scout" AKA Meagen's Dad, AKA Don

I went up to EF yesterday, dug a fresh hole near Johnnie's camp & got pretty good color, kinda funny pulling gold right out from under that claim jumper's nose!! LOL!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like the NFAR area had a storm starting ~ 21Nov, high water peaked ~ 10 AM on the 23rd (600 CFS) and is now down to about 100 CFS which is up from the ~ 40 CFS it has been at for some months now.

Ah the North Fork, my I miss that river and the mountains and etc. For the diligent seeker gold can be found but the further away from the easy to get to spots the better the gold could be, one must still pick their spots with wisdom to put themselves in the most likely spot to be able to find any gold.

And yes the water is likely to be cold as in mid August it is typically 54 F with the sun shining on it from early in the morning. In the late 70's it would be 72 F by noon but a year or two later it dropped to the 54 F area and has stayed there for many years.

Best of success with your efforts..................63bkpkr

View attachment 1084206 The NFAR is a "bit" downhill from this feeder stream picture. Just out of the picture to the left is the hard rock gold mine that the water cut through and delivered the tell tale trail of gold to the heavier water below this spot that drove it all the way down to the NFAR. Must have been awesome to come across the gold from the vein! By the way, getting to this outback location with a light pack is not easy and with an 85 lb pack it is a downright work out though even the scenery is worth the effort. Should you decide to tackle some of the back country be sure you are in really good physical condition or you could be risking your life.

Herb nice picture of a beautiful place. Will be out there Friday and snap a few pics for you. It will only be Mineral Bar but its still on the NFAR.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread