BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
As winter nears us once again, many people are probably hanging their prospecting hat for the cold months. I still enjoy prospecting in the cold weather and feel that it actually give us opportunities as well. Different water levels is obviously one advantage for certain types of prospecting. Do any of you prospect in the winter months? If so, what tips & techniques do you have to stay dry and warm in the water? I find it easier to spot gemstones in the cold months. The water is cleaner in winter & the light from the sun is better as well. -Luke

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idaho Gold Getter-OMG when young yes but ol'fart now and THAT much snow is a definate no go for me now. Cold is ok but THAT wow -a no thank you. I've broken ice and drained the oil and taken it home nightly to keep warm to start dredge in the am but your pics are daunting to say the least . John

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
WINTER PROSPECTING - My favorite time of the year. I'll soon be firing up the Mr. Heater to thaw the shovel handles, pans, classifiers, view box finder, and snuffer bottle. I already have begun dressing warm and have been wearing the waders and gauntlet water proof gloves. Got to love those ice shelves for holding all your gear! Just thought I'd share a few previous winter outings to warm those frozen hearts. Cheers.

View attachment 1063806 View attachment 1063807 View attachment 1063808 View attachment 1063809 View attachment 1063810

Good stuff there GettR!

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cold, is COLD and gold,,, well that's GOLD with a warm fuzzy feeling that sparks the eye. If it's retrieved through the ice during sub frigid temps, it can be a down right chore to say the least. As Hoser John pointed out, there are some aches and pains that are attributed to old age. To be honest, this old fart would rather be working gold under the ice than to spend his remaining years playing Bingo or shuffle board in some nursing home (no offense to those who enjoy those games). Winter prospecting is not for everyone but it certainly is for me. A lot can go wrong out there and depending on your circumstance, it might even prove to be fatal. I always let someone know where I'll be that particular day and when to expect me back. On another note, I also bring an extra set of clothing, jacket, gloves and foot wear. Not only for obvious reasons (falling into the river and getting wet) but that first hour or so of shovel and chopping ice can produce much sweat, resulting in loss of body heat and hypothermia. Know your limitations and remember that the gold isn't as important as the taking of one's life. If you must venture out this winter for some prospecting, please enjoy yourself, be safe and find lots of it. *Here are some more winter pics and gold. Cheers -

gold (1)[1].JPG 1-4-2013 Gold (aaa).JPG 1-4-2013 Gold (2).JPG 1-4-2013 Gold (1).JPG 2.3 grm Nov Gold (1).JPG Lg QuartzNugget (1).JPG Lg QuartzNugget.JPG

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cold, is COLD and gold,,, well that's GOLD with a warm fuzzy feeling that sparks the eye. If it's retrieved through the ice during sub frigid temps, it can be a down right chore to say the least. As Hoser John pointed out, there are some aches and pains that are attributed to old age. To be honest, this old fart would rather be working gold under the ice than to spend his remaining years playing Bingo or shuffle board in some nursing home (no offense to those who enjoy those games). Winter prospecting is not for everyone but it certainly is for me. A lot can go wrong out there and depending on your circumstance, it might even prove to be fatal. I always let someone know where I'll be that particular day and when to expect me back. On another note, I also bring an extra set of clothing, jacket, gloves and foot wear. Not only for obvious reasons (falling into the river and getting wet) but that first hour or so of shovel and chopping ice can produce much sweat, resulting in loss of body heat and hypothermia. Know your limitations and remember that the gold isn't as important as the taking of one's life. If you must venture out this winter for some prospecting, please enjoy yourself, be safe and find lots of it. *Here are some more winter pics and gold. Cheers -

View attachment 1064599 View attachment 1064600 View attachment 1064601 View attachment 1064602 View attachment 1064603 View attachment 1064604 View attachment 1064605

Yeo! Know your limitations. Only problem is the limitations start to limit more as you move closer to three score and ten years. :)

Very lovely nugget there--cool weather find doing what? Sluicing, detecting, dredging? That is some nice gold!!

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually goldDave, this nugget was found after classifying with a shovel of river bed gravels. I dug deep into a corner of bedrock not more than 16 inches beneath the water and could not believe my eyes when I saw what gold lay in my Keene 1/4" classifier (which by the way was sitting on top of my gold pan). It was a day from hell,,, 12 degrees , 4 inches of ice with 2 1/2 ft. of snow removal from the spot chosen. Can't ask for a better turn out when all you have going for yourself is a "looks like a good spot to work today" attitude. I wish all days where as golden as this. ***Special thanks to BurntBear for post such a great topic. I know I'll be adding more as this winter season approaches. Cheers to all - Randy

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your great photos and input GettR! -Luke

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your welcome Luke. I'll try to assist you and anyone I can on this subject - don't hesitate to ask the Q. By the way,,, here are the winter photos of that day I got that nugget. Cheers. ~~ Maybe I lied a tad bit about the 2 1/2 of snow,,, that was the depth on the bank.

tc-placer (59).JPG tc-placer (60).JPG

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice scenes, gotta love those little creeks, loads of overlooked hot spots!

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what part of idaho are you in? i am in the northern part around coeur d' alene.

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Some Cold Weather Gems

Did some test digging in a nearby creek yesterday. Found a few gems a couple of inches down on the backside of a pillar that supports the center of a small bridge.

Colorless Topaz: 15 cts. - Nice clarity but quite a few fractures. Still a neat find though.

125_3216.JPG

125_3221.JPG

Corundum - 7.5 cts. - Yellow with a few blue and green sections, it is covered in Biotite Mica; a neat piece.

125_3170.JPG

125_3171.JPG

Last edited:

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cold fever? Nothing a little jack Daniels can't fix ;)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
It looks like cold weather may be my only chance to try out my 2 inch dredge. this year has been either to hot, to wet and hot or flooding and hot. maybe this winter the waters will drop??

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks like cold weather may be my only chance to try out my 2 inch dredge. this year has been either to hot, to wet and hot or flooding and hot. maybe this winter the waters will drop??

Depends; where you planning to try it out? Missouri/Mississippi rivers? Or points further west?

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone been catching that sassy gold in the cold lately? -Luke