GOLD RUSH BEGINS TONIGHT

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a small sample of gold fever. Massie is goofy, but it's real.

yea people complain about how KG & Ringy act on Diggers.
apparently they never saw Massie

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love Tom Massie and Gold Fever....but IMO is is of no comparison to Gold Rush. I find myself waking up halfway through Gold Fever and having to rewind what I missed....while I feel wide awake watching Gold Rush.

I'm pretty big on production value however...and Gold Rush takes the cake there. I guess I'm just one of the "assbags" who feels a Rush is better than a Fever. :occasion14:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Freddy isn't on the show because discovery channel wouldnt pay him what he wanted. Apparently, Freddy's pride as a miner is worth more than what discovery wants to pay to act like a moron.

Right...and he's too busy running his business and mining with his brother to cater to the needs and schedules of a production crew. He only said yes before because his daughter asked him to!

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love Tom Massie and Gold Fever....but IMO is is of no comparison to Gold Rush. I find myself waking up halfway through Gold Fever and having to rewind what I missed....while I feel wide awake watching Gold Rush.

I'm pretty big on production value however...and Gold Rush takes the cake there. I guess I'm just one of the "assbags" who feels a Rush is better than a Fever. :occasion14:

Not at all, when I say assbags, I mean the people who are glamorizing and trying to pretty/drama up the show. I watch every bit of all the gold shows I can, but I really value the "real" factor. As far as production goes, Rush wins for sure, and I like that about it.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love tom and kg/ringy. They make the show with there enthusiasm.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love tom and kg/ringy. They make the show with there enthusiasm.

I like Tom when he doesn't treat his Audience like they are all 6 year old Girls who like to Giggle.
I really dislike when he dresses up with a Plastic Beard, Walks around like he's Bowlegged,
And yells Gold with an Exaggerated accent . He's even got his daughter trying to act like that this year :(
though a Girl acting like a Child in front of adults is at least a little better then Tom Doing it imo

because Diggers is a little more Professional Production wise kg & ringy don't come off as
treating their audiences as Children to me.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well idk... It's a show. Maybe the producers told him the demographics we need to hit are children?.. Either way watching some once sluice or metal detect for an hour on tv would be pretty boring if it wasn't for the personalities of the cast.

I feel it's unfair to judge someone by a role they play on television. You don't know that's how they woulda act all the time.They are working under unusual circumstances.

Last edited:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are going overboard. A little drama is good for a show but when your show is based on mining for gold and you show all of 10 seconds of that in a 1 hour show and the rest is a bunch of people acting like idiots, then you have a problem... everything on this show is so forced and fake I just don't see how anyone could enjoy it...

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked GF back with early Tom or before. It was educational, and actually about the gold then. Not so muach anymore. I like Gold Rush too, but what the producers never explain is the logistics that goes into operating one of those mines. To a newcomer, it looks devistating what we see on the show. All that tore up land and all. They never say anything about the reclaimation process and what it costs, or actually show it. It's easy to see why the environmentalists don't like miners when, for dramatic reasons the producers don't tell the whole story. I would like to see what that property looks like when they really leave it.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Other shows do exactly that. On Prospectors (weather channel) they showed the reclamation of some of the digs. BUT yes id also like to show /explain how they accomplish their reclamation and what it looks like years latter. BUT there again theres NO EXPLANING ANYTHING TO THESE WACOENVIROMENTALISTS ANYTIME ,ANYWHWERE!!!!!!!!!!

mr007s

Sep 8, 2007
Where the pavement ends in NC
Other shows do exactly that. On Prospectors (weather channel) they showed the reclamation of some of the digs. BUT yes id also like to show /explain how they accomplish their reclamation and what it looks like years latter. BUT there again theres NO EXPLANING ANYTHING TO THESE WACOENVIROMENTALISTS ANYTIME ,ANYWHWERE!!!!!!!!!!

Not entirely so. I remember several shows where that subject was shown.

The show hasn't aired enough years to show before and after results but one season the Hoffman's were mining "VIRGIN GROUND" until the owner came by and informed then that it had been mined arround 60 years or so back. Looked pretty grown up to me.

Check out this link:Land Reclamation | Gold Rush | Discovery

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Claim Jumper Guy & his son talked Reclamation of the "Glory Hole" Or
whatever they called that time

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Todd Hoffman, the big-dreaming gold miner who lives in Sandy, Oregon, returns with his fellow prospectors for "Gold Rush" Season 6 on Friday, Oct. 16, at 9 p.m. on the Discovery Channel.

The two-hour kickoff launches a new season of what Discovery says is its number-one show.

So what's coming up for Hoffman, and "Gold Rush" veterans Parker Schnabel and Tony Beets? Will they spend the season sitting around a campfire, drinking cocoa, and agreeing they'll all find more gold if they work together?

Nah. Where's the drama in that? According to Discovery, Season 6 promises "bold new challenges, new equipment and massive power shifts. It's a battle like never before among the crews as they push to find the most gold yet."

They say that every year, but what the heck. The new season brings a new development for Hoffman, who's turning "Gold Rush" into a family business. He won't just be working with his father, Jack, but with his 16-year-old son, Hunter.

And Todd being Todd, and this being "Gold Rush," Discovery says that this year, Hoffman's "crew is blown away by the staggering season goal he sets" for gold. Since last season saw Hoffman come back from the brink of financial disaster, and finally land some gold-rich ground, everything should be gravy, right?

Oh, but the press release says: "The only thing standing in Todd's way could be his ego. Can he keep it in check and finally give young Parker Schnabel a run for his money? Or will his lofty season goal backfire leaving the Hoffman crew disappointed yet again?"

As for the youthful, sometimes-bratty Schnabel, he pushed his crew to unearth a whopping $3 million of gold last season. But did he push so hard that the crew won't come back?

Let's cut to the press release again: "Parker, who turns 21 this year, finds out the hard way that one season of gold mining has nothing to do with the next. He's forced to draw on everything his beloved Grandpa John has taught him in order to avoid a disastrous season. Parker has to do more than find a lot of gold this season, he has to figure out how to become a leader of men."

Meanwhile, over in subtitle land, we have Tony Beets, aka "The Viking," aka "What did he say? I need to read the subtitles." Last season, Beets looked like he had, at long last, done what it took to get that million-dollar, 75-year-old gold mining dredge operating.

This season, the challenge will be for the producers to make this less monumentally boring, and for Beets, as the press release says, to "get the machine, which hasn't run in 30 years, to actually produce gold. Tony desperately needs the dredge to start paying for itself but more than anything, he wants to shut up the naysayers that think he's crazy to gold mine the old fashioned way. This season it's all hands on deck as dredging for Klondike gold becomes a family affair."

What do you think? Are you on deck for another season of "Gold Rush"? Here are more details: The Season 6 premiere night starts with the pre-show, "The Dirt," at 8 p.m.; then "Gold Rush" Season 6 debuts at 9 p.m., Oct. 16, on the Discovery channel.

-- Kristi Turnquist

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do sneak Peeks (Spoilers)

But will be watching the Parts with Todd Hoffman's crew after I have it recorded :thumbsup:

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DVR is set to record it. Would anyone else like to see what they get paid for doing the show?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well 5 or so minutes into the First episode, I gave up and watched Z-Nation instead

first Off I couldn't Stand the Commentators voice.
second I couldn't stand the Actors Voices

and Thirdly Twitter pop ups started up.
I hate pop ups distracting me while I'm trying to watch something.
I even hate when things scroll across the bottom or top of the screen when I'm watching a show.

and I will not watch a show where Kids are allowed to Compete to see their names on the screen
in twitter popups while the show is in progress.

at that Point I moved on to Z-Nation.

Perhaps it was just the 1st episode that will be like that,
I will give episode 2 a chance before I decide if
my mind is done with Gold Rush or Not, but it don't bode well so far :unhappysmiley:
Agreed! you're watching that show and they pop up you're watching that show. YA THINK!?!? Or the best ones are when you're watching something subtitled and they cover the bottom third of the frame with garbage. I've actually emailed some stations to inform them they screwed up. I can still see the movie or show through all the junk. The only time I've ever gotten a reply back was when I asked them when they were going to get the interns out of the control room. Don't think TNet would allow me to quote that one............

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Celebrity is hard to put a price on but these economies are something else.

The Hoffmans- tens of millions in the hole.

The Schnabel - kids headed to school or building roads. Mining on the side. Parker MAY have tried to become a miner to get away from dad.

Beets-Tony would be Tony still. No dredge.

Freddy Dodge. Traveling the country as a mining engineer.

Fred and Dustin. Still estranged and who knows. May have made it up there for the orig claim owner.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the new Season starts Tonight.
The Description looks like my Decision to fast forward through everything but Todds crew this year
may be the Right one.

They are starting off with the Moron Throwing Parker off his Land,
because Parker may have lost some of his Crew .
Which of course is Manufactured Drama.
imo Not worth my time.

Todd of course will Struggle again , And they won't show his real Finds till the end of the season. when they
make it look like he turned things around last minute again.
But they are always good for a Chuckle or Two.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread