GOLD RUSH BEGINS TONIGHT

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suspect Todd and crew are losing a fair amount of gold after running some numbers thrown out on the show, dont know if they fudge or not, its TV. But i would glad to take whats going over the edge based on my opinion. Have never seen any one check that before on all these episodes. My 2 cents.
Johnnysau

I agree, it seems likely. You can bet every time Freddy shows up, he tests and tunes the sluices. He may have taught someone like Dave to do it too...you would hope!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im not sure how much bedrock its tearing into. Have you seen what bedrock does to excavator bucket? I think he would be replacing buckets every few years if he was in bedrock to much. Plus those buckets are made of old steel(not up to today's metal strengths)but maybe he's getting it all

My observation and opinion on this subject.

Apparently the bedrock that all these guys are encountering is not solid according to past episodes. It is already fractured to some extent so the constant gnawing by the buckets probably mostly breaks it apart down to where there is no natural fracturing. Yep, they won't get it all but they will get most of what is economic to get.

Hardfacing of the bucket's wear areas make them very tough and durable. The inspection and resurfacing of the wear areas on equipment at the mine where I worked was done regularly. You can bet that they do it too but if not, they should since they alluded to the fact that they have no spares.

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the buckets were tearing into the BR, fractured or not, wouldn't the contact point be bright and shiny? They still look they same as the day he dug them up in what I have seen on the show.

ratled

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the buckets were tearing into the BR, fractured or not, wouldn't the contact point be bright and shiny? They still look they same as the day he dug them up in what I have seen on the show.

ratled

It's impossible to determine "timeline" in these shows. They film a ton of "b-roll" footage and just pull a piece whenever they need it. They could be showing clips of the first minutes of running the buckets at the end of the show, or vice-versa

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure most of the operating on bedrock is done by feel. Go down until bed rock then scrape bottom. I just know what happens to excavators price when they hit bedrock and still need to be deeper. The price increases dramatically! I'll take a couple pics of machine being used to tear up bedrock in subdivision I'm working in turns bedrock into about 2" minus. Does great job but cost 1000.00 per hour to run, ouch! They need to replace the teeth quite often. Not sure how many hrs they get on set of teeth.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are like a bunch of old ladies watching a soap opera........:laughing7:
I can't stand to watch it.... watched it once..... That was more than enough....
My time would be better spent just taking a nap.....

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do you watch the show and read this forum? Enjoy your nap

I said I watched it "Once"..... the was plenty, and I haven't watched it since..and yes the naps are well worth the time compared to reality tv drivel.

As to this thread.... dropped in to out of curiosity.... that has been sated won't be back after this post...
enjoy your soap opera......:tongue3:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I said I watched it "Once"..... the was plenty, and I haven't watched it since..and yes the naps are well worth the time compared to reality tv drivel.
As to this thread.... dropped in to out of curiosity.... that has been sated won't be back after this post...
enjoy your soap opera......:tongue3:

I watch it every week, and aside from excess drama (which they've greatly
reduced) I honestly enjoy the show. Take all the BS out of it, and what you
got left is a bunch of guys up there doing something most of us only dream
about.

As for the Soap Opera, well...this is TNet...:laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take all the BS out of it, and what you
got left is a bunch of guys up there doing something most of us only dream
about.

This is why I whittled it down to just Todd's crew this week again.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
methinks Jeff has a thing for the turd

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It s like watching a good thriller you know what the end is gonna be but you can't leave your sit till it end......i wish i could dredge the whole thames trillions of coins clay pipes and artefacts ..........yep there is a bit of drama and helmet banging but in the end it also may be able to boost the moral for the country.Cant wait to see the drone view from the dredge with the same tailing after 1 month in operation:laughing7::laughing7:

Have a nice day

RR

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
methinks Jeff has a thing for the turd

me thinks todds crew has the least amount of fake drama of the 3

Beets is all Swearing & egos.

The kid this year is apparently all about fawning over the Old man
like he's some type of god .

I'm not into fluff.
or Has-beens.
I dread the show the year the Old Guy kicks .
they will probably do a year on him :BangHead:

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure most of the operating on bedrock is done by feel. Go down until bed rock then scrape bottom. I just know what happens to excavators price when they hit bedrock and still need to be deeper. The price increases dramatically! I'll take a couple pics of machine being used to tear up bedrock in subdivision I'm working in turns bedrock into about 2" minus. Does great job but cost 1000.00 per hour to run, ouch! They need to replace the teeth quite often. Not sure how many hrs they get on set of teeth.
Those dredges definitely dig into the bedrock...its harder on the stacker than it is on the bucket line. bedrock that's under old gravel deposits is not quite the same as bedrock under most sub-divisions. They were created to work what would have been previously considered non paying gravel. One of the main reasons dredging was so lucrative in the Folsom and Yuba fields was the fact that there could be a local industry supporting building of dredges and parts supply.(and the fact that the areas gravels are from the richest drainages on earth) That was in relative terms close by. they were very efficient when ran properly and maintenance was a constant. Tony IS going to have maintenance and supply issues if he gets to even 50% of operation level that dredge was designed to run at. There are numerous dredge buckets laying around in the Yukon...unfortunately most of them are landscaping items in front of campgrounds and motels....maybe Tony will have to go on a road trip!

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sur they must have pile up tons of parts i m not pro but i guess most of the part son the dregs were used on other machinery at the time am i right????

RR

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the hardware sure....but, that would be stuff that just isn't made the same way/size and compatibility these days. And there may be some stuff laying around but, leaving hardware laying around and using it decades later is not a good idea. Engineers can do anything really....but, on a reworked dredge it could be costly. it is going to be a big cost because of the downtime hunting down random weird things....and or fabricating new ones. At some point the whole dredge could be "NEW" if they kept it up and running....it will cost about five times more than when it was originally built.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the electrical panel that Tony destroyed in the last season that controlled all the motors!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread