GOLD RUSH BEGINS TONIGHT

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Enjoying the show as always. Fast forwarding past some bits...also as always!

Love to see Tony get the dredge going. We still have one big dredge like that here in CO which some of us are helping the local historical society preserve.

Kevin is the Historical Society preserving the old bucket dredge to operating condition?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin is the Historical Society preserving the old bucket dredge to operating condition?
it's not been run since the 1970's so probably not exactly but pretty much. When I met with the head of the historical society I promoted the idea that it needs to be pen for people to walk into and around thru. It is SO cool inside!

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tony knows what he is doing. He has a plan and is no fool. His mine is a large producer and he controls a lot of acreage up there. You can bet he will get that old dredge going one way or the other. He spent a million to acquire it and no doubt he might spend 3 times that getting it going, but he will get it going, and that will be cool to see that monster working. Would really like to see it in person operating as that thing will move some serious material in an impressive fashion.

Parker is young, has learned a lot, but still has a long way to go to mature. The fact that Tony is helping him at all is awesome. Parker just needs to grow up and realize the opportunity he has been given. Mark my words, Tony knows Parker has missed as much gold as he has recovered because of his lack of experience and Tony knows it. Tony could likely go back over the ground Parker mined last year and get at least as much gold out of there as Parker did just because Parker wasn't taking enough of the bedrock, and Tony knows this. If you remember last year at the end of the season when Tony spent 1 day helping Parker finish, Tony told him you need to dig the bedrock deeper to get the better gold. Just think of the surface area dug last year that they only scraped the top. This error of Parkers could be a huge amount of gold missed. No? I think Tony knows what goes on better than anybody around that area.

The Dodge boys are gonna kill it I believe. That spot has some serious potential and they have the experience to make things happen. That little ice dam flush didn't wash away any gold, just the ice off the surface. Very smart of them to do that. The scale of the experience was proper and not over done at all in my opinion.

The Hoffmans.........who cares. They are just a comedy of errors. Fodder for the drama lovers that watch the show. They haven't learned anything because they aren't miners. Never asked to see any drill results for that area, and you can bet that claim has been drilled and the claim owner knows what potential is there. A guy with a claim like that likes guys like Hoffmans as they spend all the money removing overburden so the owner can go back and get the real good gold without the expense.

Looking forward to seeing what the Dodge boys and Tony do this season. I think we might be amazed by the outcome of this season. Dennis

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This seems to me to be the most thoughtful and fact based assessment I've seen. Hard to argue with at all in fact!

I certainly agree about the Dodge boys. They come from a long line of highly successful Colorado commercial miners. Also remember that they spent the prior summer working another part of the same claim and did exceptionally well!

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure think he could a picked up a dredge like that for cheaper than that - I know were a couple are in California. Each bucket is about half yard to yard when it scoops I am thinking about 1/4 to 1/2 yard each bucket. He said his would do 100 yards an hour. My Grandfather was a machinist on one on the Yuba River he said it went down to 40-60 ft deep and that he made and replaced bearings all day long. Now I understand why he was deaf in his old age that thing is pretty dang loud when it runs. I can understand why Tony hired 2 machinist to take it apart and rebuild it. I think they will be making bearings for that thing 24 hrs a day when its running. I will watch this season to see the dredge rebuilt and running. If I recall correctly I think all the oil and grease used to lubricate it might pollute to much for the regulators to let Tony run it. I have seen some pictures of the "own waterway the dredges make and they look like a slough full of oil". It Will be a real ***** when he spent a million to buy it and more than that likely to get it running and he gets shut down for polluting. I bet his string of cussing will be half an episode long when that happens.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually $1,000,000.00 was a good price and that dredge is in great condition from what we were shown. There are still Bucket Line Dredges running at this time in Alaska, California and over seas but they keep a low profile. It's actually a very clean operation and like all machinery, it will need to be constantly maintained but the profit margin is huge with the amount of material they move. I was supposed to make a movie on one of the operating Bucket Line Dredges last year but had to cancel because of catastrophic family events that have kept us too busy to make many movies since. It was nice to see Parker have to put in the hydraulic riffles as he learned a valuable lesson. They will pay for themselves quickly. Looks like a good show. Some scripting but it works.

Jwoot

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool but todd could never find that much gold :)

I do make jokes about todd but until last season I did have respect for him
-lets be honest your prone to do bad your first year
-his second year he broke even
-his third year he did well
-last year his dreams overcame his common sense(never smart to do business in a developing country)

im kind of going for him this year

That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. The reward for business in developing countries is far greater... even multiples of the reward in developed countries... obviously there is also a far greater risk. The point is many people make a fortune by traveling the would looking for investment and business opportunities in developing countries.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice having the DVR. Toad is up to his usual tactics in episode two, but then again its the drama thing that the producers feel that they need to make the show interesting, did anyone really think the trommel was going to tip over or get washed away? Way to many commercials as well. At one point the show had just come off from a commercial then showed 30 seconds of Gold Rush then back to two minutes of commercials. This happens all the time. Next we will see video from other episodes to fill in the video holes.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice having the DVR. Toad is up to his usual tactics in episode two, but then again its the drama thing that the producers feel that they need to make the show interesting, did anyone really think the trommel was going to tip over or get washed away? Way to many commercials as well. At one point the show had just come off from a commercial then showed 30 seconds of Gold Rush then back to two minutes of commercials. This happens all the time. Next we will see video from other episodes to fill in the video holes.

yes on the 2 Minute thing.
I believe that happens on several different shows .
and happens at approximately 40 minutes into each show.
just a 2 minute waste of time between extra commercials :(

I also was waiting for the tip over :laughing7:

& although there are things about those 2 (3 now) that really irritate me.
one in particular I won't mention because it's sort of against rules here to discuss it :unhappysmiley:

But I honestly am Rooting for them this year & hope they do better then all the crews.

I'm also hoping Parker earns enough to get completely out from under Tony .

other then that, I'll probably do allot of FF this season

MrTim4Gold

Sep 9, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
as much as I dislike Hoffmann's, they could have called me...I would have flown up to help ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are overdue for a good year.

but still wonders me if someone plants the gold for them to find at the beginning of each season :laughing7:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The manufactured drama is hilarious! The music, the video editing, the dramatic performances, all aimed at generating suspense that isn't warranted. Give it a rest already!

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What I don't get is how the Hoffman's lost everything then show up in a new? F350 Superduty and still have the trommel from south america. Is there money in the family or were the investors the only ones who lost money last year. Doesn't make sense to me.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
they are overdue for a good year.

but still wonders me if someone plants the gold for them to find at the beginning of each season :laughing7:

Would never know unless you worked for one of the crews and you saw first hand the mats being removed from the sluice boxes and followed to the clean out. With video editing and Discovery involved peppering is a possibility. Remember the show does not air without selling advertizing space. Without the gold being shown who will buy advertizing space? Its all about profits for Discovery stockholders.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I don't get is how the Hoffman's lost everything then show up in a new? F350 Superduty and still have the trommel from south america. Is there money in the family or were the investors the only ones who lost money last year. Doesn't make sense to me.

I remember one season Todd ran back home & supposedly begged his sister & her husband for a Loan.
How much of it was real or staged I don't know.
But I'm more inclined to believe the whole family is living on Old family Money
that is in the Millions.
and like all millionaires, Cry poverty as they spend. as if it's really their last dollar :unhappysmiley:

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discovery definitely manufactured the drama with Todd pulling the tromel across the river. He didn't appear to have any difficulty. I noticed every time he built up a head of steam they cut away and had him yelling in an obvious overdub, meanwhile he was seated in the driver's seat, looking completely unconcerned. Also, the ground wasn't torn up like you'd expect with someone struggling to pull heavy equipment.

And I'm sure Discovery paid to move the tromel to South America and back.

Now the idea that their claim is haunted has this show rapidly approaching the water ski ramp.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL "Ghost Claim" don't mention it to Sci Fi :tongue3:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe that Jack and Toad still own a small airport down in Oregon,
so they can't be completely broke.

Don't think they'll show too much of what Freddy and team are
doing, as they work well together and the drama is almost non-existent.
Parker is going for the big money, but I'm afraid he'll push his team so
hard they'll walk on him. Parker is young and full of energy, and those
older guys (anyone over 30..lol) are gonna need rest now and then.

Todd and Jack? Hope they break even, and in some ways I hope they
hit it big time. Like it or not Todd was the one who instigated the show
to start with, and sink or swim he's out there trying.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still wish todd would cut/shave that rat nest off his chin though.
that just bugs the BaJeevers out of me.

someone needs to grab hold of it & lead him around by it for awhile.
he'd soon get the hint.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget that they still have their slumlord money coming in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions