GOLD RUSH BEGINS TONIGHT

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hearing audio is live streamed on the web if you want to listen in!
9am on Jan 27
http://mining.state.co.us/Pages/Home.aspx
=============================================
Well today is Jan 27, anybody got any info on this.

By the way, its amazing what they can make profitable ( yet to be seen ) when you are able to move enough dirt.
Here's my calculations, based upon their numbers thrown out during the show.

For full grains per 20 LB pan = .043 per pan worth .11 cents OR
For medium fine flakes per 20 LB pan = .193 per pan worth .11 cents OR
For moderate fine flakes 20 LB pan = .043 per pan worth .11 cents OR
For extremely fine flakes per 20 LB pan = 3.571 per pan worth .11 cents

5 OZS per 400 YARDS MOVED.
johnnysau

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Freddy says this land was not dredged. Shoulder pay I suppose that wasn't worth getting up hill to back in the day.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Freddy says this land was not dredged. Shoulder pay I suppose that wasn't worth getting up hill to back in the day.

I'm guessing Freddie never studied the placer report linked on that map a few posts back? The report on page 65 and the map on page 82 as well as the narrative indicate the property was extensively dredged. That and the State of Colorado gravel mining permit that restricts the operation to previously mined ground.

I don't watch the show. I did watch a few episodes the first year. I hope those who do watch it enjoy it as entertainment. I didn't but I find very little television that I enjoy watching. That doesn't mean it's a bad show or my taste is better than anyone else - it's just not my thing. All my partners watch it and generally enjoy the show.

Clearly the Hoffmans would have been back working the 9 to 5 after their first year if this were really based on mining. I'm sure there are those who remember Guyana as a country that had a moratorium on placer mining when the Hoffmans took over the "mining" site from the previous European tv show operation. Now I hear Oregon was a bust too.

The gold in Fairplay is about 18 - 19 karat (76 - 80%). The better paying placers there produced about $9.60 a yard in today's money. That was working the best gravels first. Much of the placer paid less than half that. A large operation can make that pay. They already did make it pay at Fairplay and the Katuska pit.

Is there gold at Fairplay? You betcha. That glacial moraine may still hold more than what was already mined. If I were mining there I would be looking at unworked areas in the moraine.

I wish them luck with their television show. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can barely watch anymore. I used to just to see the operations. They spent more time discussing the deposits in the first few seasons. I knew when they went to Oregon that they found a lease and it wouldn't pay.

Hey Clay Tony lives in Az in his "off" season and owns an old mine there where theres like a lodge or something. What do you know about that? He does seem to actually have been mining for decades.
I have liked seeing them get a dredge going again. I've been to and on a few junkers up North and always wanted to see one running.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can barely watch anymore. I used to just to see the operations. They spent more time discussing the deposits in the first few seasons. I knew when they went to Oregon that they found a lease and it wouldn't pay.

Hey Clay Tony lives in Az in his "off" season and owns an old mine there where theres like a lodge or something. What do you know about that? He does seem to actually have been mining for decades.
I have liked seeing them get a dredge going again. I've been to and on a few junkers up North and always wanted to see one running.

He lives in Crown King Arizona right up the mountain from my mining area. He supposed to have a well paying lode mine in the area.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Clay

The show is nothing more than entertainment for the common man. Many will view and dream about gold, but will never pursue it in the end. For others it will spark some interest in prospecting which will be pursued at some time in the future. For someone on the outside(non miner) who's never been on the inside(miner) it's somewhat of a glimpse of what it's like....Dramatized version.

Old time miner....Views show as blasphemy and unwatchable.
Miner....Views show as silly and too dramatic. Watches sometimes.
Casual miner....Views show and sparks some interest.
Common man....Ignites dreams with no intent to pursue.

Lessons learned from watching.

God doesn't answer prayers for gold.
Moving a mountain of dirt won't get you gold if it isn't even there.
If your on good/decent gold get it before you try the greener grass across the river, state, continent.
Be prepared for the unexpected and polish up on MacGyver skills you'll need them.

There is much better info to be found elsewhere for those whom do get their fuse lit by the show. I'd hope they pursue knowledge before they follow Todd's over dramatic path to self distrustion and dispair.

Don't be a Todd (Toad)

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Of course the first thing to do is set a goal. Like 1, 2, 3 or 4 thousands try ounces. After that miss the
goal and cry your heart out. Also run off your crew buy refusing to pay for their services. Then find
another bonanza somewhere different and talk them into coming back dragging their tails behind.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Tony is a long time professional miner. He does mine near Crown King and has done so for many years - he's the real thing. It's only the "off" season from the point of view of the television show. The season in the Yukon is pretty short. He does curse a lot but he's a genuinely nice guy.

okbasspro Tony is nearer to your claim than you think. You could almost see his clean up shed if you climbed up towards Sunset Point. :thumbsup:

One of our members here knows Tony and Minnie pretty well. I doubt he will be telling you where they live. Miners down here value their privacy - even the ones on television.

Heavy Pans

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@Clay

The show is nothing more than entertainment for the common man. Many will view and dream about gold, but will never pursue it in the end. For others it will spark some interest in prospecting which will be pursued at some time in the future. For someone on the outside(non miner) who's never been on the inside(miner) it's somewhat of a glimpse of what it's like....Dramatized version.

Miner....Views show as silly and too dramatic. Watches sometimes.
Casual miner....Views show and sparks some interest.
Common man....Ignites dreams with no intent to pursue.

Lessons learned from watching.

God doesn't answer prayers for gold.
Moving a mountain of dirt won't get you gold if it isn't even there.
If your on good/decent gold get it before you try the greener grass across the river, state, continent.
Be prepared for the unexpected and polish up on MacGyver skills you'll need them.

There is much better info to be found elsewhere for those whom do get their fuse lit by the show. I'd hope they pursue knowledge before they follow Todd's over dramatic path to self distrustion and dispair.

Don't be a Todd (Toad)

LOL When Gold Rush started, I was in FL and the...
Common man....Ignites dreams with no intent to pursue. Then I moved to CA and became...
Casual miner....Views show and sparks some interest. After I learned what to do and found some gold, I graduated to...
Miner....Views show as silly and too dramatic. Watches sometimes. Then I watch regularly again to see the dredge resurrected and operated. But alas, the more I learn the more ridiculous the procedures Todd uses are to me and and makes me a...

Too funny! Too true! Good one Kenmitch!

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Jeff95531

Funny....But true in the end.

I oftened wondered what this meant " Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA " but just realized your 95531 was the zip code.

Squatchy area! I could really have some fun with those hunting Bigfoot guys if I knew they were around!

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
On lower valued paydirt they stand a much better chance of making money in the lower 48 than in the Yukon. Fuel and the cost of flying in spare parts for old iron machines is taking the profit out of every bucket load. At least in Colorado they are closer to parts and backup equipment.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
And why are they not sampling every few bucket loads? Running hundreds or thousands of yards of material, burning up fuel and beating up iron, then waiting for a final cleanup before realizing you have poor material, is not good or economical mining.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know about you all, but, I knew that the whole crew would come back, since they get more pay from the network then Loser Toad. Let us find out if they now can find more gold. It was a good show last night. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This show is so lame. First Toad places a call to his crew and they turn Toad down. Then Freddy makes a call, the crew shows up and Toads words, "What the heck", "What the heck is going on" while Toad is raising his hands in disbelief, as he did not know the trucks were fueled and waiting for the signal to drive around the corner honking the horns.. Not sure how much more I can take watching this show. It took me 4 hours to watch this 1 hour show today, I kept falling asleep... BORING...

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Hoffmans always mine on picked over claims. All the gravy is gone. Also my thoughts they got kicked out of the Yukon. Or they would be back up there. All thou I don"t think there are any claims left up there.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh hell, no poker tonight and wife is at work until late. I suppose I will watch Gold Rush during its regular time. I saw that my DVR recorded the first show of the season of Bering Sea Gold. Wow not sure whats worse of the two shows. Discovery must give these two shows a guideline script to follow from the same writers.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A interesting show tonight. Losing Toad seam to find a lot of gold. Surely, they are not going to find 5000 ounces of gold this year or ever.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And why are they not sampling every few bucket loads? Running hundreds or thousands of yards of material, burning up fuel and beating up iron, then waiting for a final cleanup before realizing you have poor material, is not good or economical mining.
Or remember the show where Tony says don't mine what you don't drill?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread