GOLD RUSH BEGINS TONIGHT

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Parker runs pretty lean and doesn't spend a lot. I'd bet he does well aside from the show. Tony and family I'm sure do ok too. But he spends...

I wonder if the "bet" is just contract negotiations.

tony has been at it for years, he has a giant operation aside form this show
he's the dude with the cash

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That was what I thought just not real clear. Is a seat belt required in heavy equipment ?Have Not seen anyone wearing one on the dozers or loaders full time

I didn't see the show, did MSHA nail them? What was the fine? I wonder if it's the same inspectors we have visit us 4 times a year for a week at a time.

Pretty sure seat belts are mandatory. Here's an MSHA release on them.

https://arlweb.msha.gov/MNMResources/FAQs/56.14130(g).pdf

https://arlweb.msha.gov/REGS/FEDREG/FINAL/2003finl/03-15695.htm

If you've never played the MSHA game it's a fun one. A lot of the rules are "written in blood" but common sense is not allowed. We don't get many violations but the majority of them are inspectors digging for something to write a ticket about and not a legitimate safety issue.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I heard Todd gets $500K per year for that show. None of them are making much money mining with the huge overhead they run. Parker might pull 10% out of the gross if he's lucky. Tony maybe 15%. Todd has to be losing huge money & would have been bankrupt years ago if not for the show. In my humble opinion, staying small & finding good ground is a better way to go. I'm not the only miner to think like that.

I have a friend who mined both Canada and Az. Just him and his wife. In Az they processed 100 yds a day due to water availability: (small trummel operation....excavator, 5 yd dump, front end loader) and in 4 months they recovered 200 oz of gold. They then return to Canada and work their claim. (again just him and his wife) and recovered 300 oz. So a total of 500 oz....and that was the year gold was over $1,500.oo per oz. They always looked for the best spots and did some testing before getting into it.

Bejay

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder about the DigThis advertisement on Street Outlaws last night. Who got paid for that.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the math on 1.7 oz per 100 yards.. thats just $20 per yard give or take..1/3-1/2 a gram. Thats pathetic...my back yard has more than that. Sooo many more gold rich areas than that

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do the math on 1.7 oz per 100 yards.. thats just $20 per yard give or take..1/3-1/2 a gram. Thats pathetic...my back yard has more than that. Sooo many more gold rich areas than that
The gold rush crews get more then that on top of bed rock. Of course you get more than that on top of bed rock in your back yard as well. A 1000 -2000 yards (one day's work) is a lot for most peoples back yard that is for sure.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From the time I started this thread this show has been downhill. This year is the worst. Last night yet again the viewers have to watch reruns. I turned the damn show off. I only watch to watch TOAD twist and turn losing his A$$, but Discovery will come to the rescue with their pans of gold they keep in the vault to keep the viewers, advertisers, and shareholders feeling gooooooood.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you could shoot the show, what would you change? Personally, I would stop focusing on all the equipment failures and try to teach my audience something. :coffee2:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could shoot the show, what would you change? Personally, I would stop focusing on all the equipment failures and try to teach my audience something. :coffee2:

Simple, I'd stop all the pre-made drama. All the scripted "if we dont find gold NOW we are DONE" BS.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But if you don't find gold you are done LOL. Believe me.

MY point was that real miners run drill samples and KNOW what is in the ground before they start spending thousands a day in running costs. This show is also subsidizing all the mining costs and paying all the people you see, so nobody is "done" is they don't find any gold. Its all a soap opera set in dirt.

G

ghostminer

Of course. It's just entertainment. However, not everyone has the money to drill. That's big money. Trenching is how we did it.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hoffmans aren't even on real claims.

I for sure would shoot the show as real as it happens.

if its called reality and discovery says they are filming actual mining..

Well, they should actually be doing that. They aren't!!!!

They started out that way season one. they should have focused on real mining groups I know they could have found several crews working decent ground that would be ok with it.

though they wouldn't have all the breakdowns and drama.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were real miners depending on gold, the hoffmans would of been done several seasons ago. Just look at the equipment overhead.

$10 per yard wouldn’t touch that equipment cost...and thats again pathetic gold values.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yukon gold on nat geo is not as bad. Still lots of drama but more realistic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread