fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW, ummm baby! Makes me wonder if I've ever walked over top of it. Congrats to the detectorist that found it. Butte County - the new Australia! Ha ha here comes the stampede. We have a spare room for rent and I'm now offering my services for full and half day "self guided" trips into the heart of the Butte County Nugget Fields. Lol! The harbor scene in Jaws keeps playing in my mind but with guys swinging detectors all over the place.

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, but, but, but… all the expert detectorists and miners said that all the easy gold has been found already, and all that's left now are the crumbs. Boy howdy… that's one nice crumb! :thumbsup:

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand that a nugget in natural form is worth more than if smelted and barred.. but is it realistic to think $250k - $400k for that?

5.18lb = 75t oz 10.833dwt using 75 t oz for simplicity, 75 * 1251 (current gold spot) = $93825.

Is that realistic to expect $250k+

Last edited:

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can understand that a nugget in natural form is worth more if smelted and barred.. but is it realistic to think $250k - $400k for that?
It's all about the rarity. Not many 75oz nuggets floating around the world these days. The more rare it is, the more it's worth. I know many who regularly sell 1oz specimens for 3x spot. Once again… it's all about the rarity and composition of the gold.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5.18lb = 75t oz 10.833dwt using 75 t oz for simplicity, 75 * 1251 (current gold spot) = $93825.

Is that realistic to expect $250k+

If they can find a buyer at that price it is possible but most likely it will sell for less than $150,000.00. I say this because it is just gold and not a specimen with quartz or any major features. We had a 7lb family nugget that won the California State Fair best of show every year and in the end when it was sold because of the size - it went for was less than the appraisal. It all depends on who is buying at the time and if the seller is willing to sell at a lower price. My mom needed surgery so it went for her. That was the one in her hand in the pic.

moms gold.jpg

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow over 80 ounces of gold....

Looks like he is on top of this year's leaderboard! :) WoW!!!

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much win... thanks for the video!

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
they say dig all your targets, in the beginning i did just that, even the screamers, would turn out to be a old shovel, some slab of iron, found an old nozzle to a moniter<(cck spl )still have it, use it to keep the screen door open, LOL well i guess i will be digging all my targets again:BangHead:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Reed, that fancy hog leg might be worth as much as the gold if it is a first addition single action:-)

Attachments

• 1-20-13 004.JPG
    1-20-13 004.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 88

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$50'000 or $250'000.......it's basically a rock, found while enjoying the day, I'll take it either way! Then go hunting for another. :laughing7:

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
It was wise of the guy who found it to not disclose the exact location of the finding... The government/ somebody would have much interest in getting that in their hands

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
all the easy gold has been found, i have yet to find a brick of gold in full view for the world to see, when was the last time ya just picked up a poundr nuggie lyin on the surface, today ya gotta bust your butt using a #2, a pick, maybe a lug all, drywasher, cable, chain, jezzz wore out just writing this
it's great that this is getting some media attention, bring out all them newbies thinkin this is a fast track to riches, suddenly they will realize they been votin for the wrong party

Yeah, but, but, but… all the expert detectorists and miners said that all the easy gold has been found already, and all that's left now are the crumbs. Boy howdy… that's one nice crumb! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread