Wow! link to new CA Nugget. Record breaker just found...

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the post. They didn't get it all!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something that big would register on a $20 garage sale MD.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's awesome! :icon_thumright: NorCal's still got it! LOL, so I can go pick up a $100 Big 5 detector and only look for nugs the size paperweights?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or find a used Fisher or Whites at a good price and get the small ones too.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy....... I think I should be out prospecting a lot more. And digging everything too.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find but not a record breaker by far. Too bad it's at the auction house already to sell but I coveth and that monster would NEVER go anywhere as long as a single breathe was in my body-John-:occasion14:

OP
OP
C

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they said it was the second largest CA Nugget that hasn't been melted down but not completely sure. Sad that all of the biggest CA nuggets are now smeared all over circuit boards etc... Even this guy is going for the money and selling the nug. Of course I could go for the $350,000 but jeez just to be able to pick it up and hug it every morning would start every day with a smile! :laughing7:

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous nug! It was found in a well known area. I just wonder how many people swung their detector over it and got a screaming hit and thought it was iron.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gorgeous nug! It was found in a well known area. I just wonder how many people swung their detector over it and got a screaming hit and thought it was iron.
When it does get out- please folks replace your divots! If it's one of the two areas I'm thinking and frequent I don't want a broken ankle. Slow down if there's another it's been there a long time already, it wont jump up and run cuz it's buddy was found. Anyone know where I can get one of those hot dog vendor carts, I wanna be ready? I'm thinking hot dogs, soda, coffee, red bull, and stickers- ya know, power food!

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after uncle Sam gets paid, and the auction takes all their fees, the guy is left with maybe $20 bucks?

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Butte Nugget has apparently sold for approximately the estimated selling price of $400,000, the actual selling price is not being revealed nor the name of the buyer.

www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Giant-gold-Butte-Nugget-sells-to-secret-Bay-5846149.php

"Just one day after it was unveiled to awed crowds in San Francisco, the whopping 'Butte Nugget’ of gold sold Friday to a “prominent Bay Area collector” for an undisclosed amount of money, according to the company brokering the deal.
“The new owner wants to be secretive, so we can’t name him,” said Don Kagin of Tiburon, the coin dealer who acted as middle-man between the buyer and the prospector who found the 6.07-pound gold lump — the biggest nugget of its kind found in modern times in Gold Rush country.
“Let’s just say it’s a win-win for everybody,” Kagin said.

The seller also asked that the price be kept secret, he said. But he added: “We were asking for $400,000 and it obviously wasn’t far from that.”
David McCarthy, Kagin’s chief numismatist, said he could only reveal that the buyer is “a prominent bay area collector” who specializes in historical items.
“We spoke to six different people who seemed to have legitimate interest and the wherewithal to purchase the item, but he was the first person to make an offer and he had the right price,” McCarthy said.
Interest in the nugget had built to a near frenzy among gold and history buffs since its existence was revealed in The Chronicle on Tuesday, with news inquiries coming in from as far away as Australia. When it went on display Thursday at the prestigious San Francisco Fall Antiques Show, hundreds flocked in for a peek.
The nugget — which will remain on public display until the antiques show ends Sunday, McCarthy said — got its name because the gold hunter who found it in July dug it out of the ground in Butte County. That man also wanted his name and the location of the find to be secret, to avoid scammers and treasure seekers.
“But I can say he’s very pleased with the sale,” McCarthy said."

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$400,000-15% auction commission minus 60% state/fed taxes=$100,000---there ARE times when silence is indeed golden :dontknow: John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread