Steve Phillips Nome trip

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
See our webpage to read part of my Alaska journal. Southern Skin Divers Supply - Birmingham, Alabama - The SCUBA School find where it reads Alaska, click and browse. I am looking for a couple crew members for next summer for my inland claims. If interested give me a call. 205-672-9310
My son Spence and I have been going to Nome for 22 years and have learned a few things and found lots of gold.
Steve Phillips

Upvote 0

Jwoot

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See our webpage to read part of my Alaska journal. Southern Skin Divers Supply - Birmingham, Alabama - The SCUBA School find where it reads Alaska, click and browse. I am looking for a couple crew members for next summer for my inland claims. If interested give me a call. 205-672-9310
My son Spence and I have been going to Nome for 22 years and have learned a few things and found lots of gold.
Steve Phillips

Will the guys from last year not be returning? Would you mind to explain why?

Just a tip but you mind receive less nonserious phone calls if you give a few details on the deal you are offering.

OP
OP
S

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
Will the guys from last year not be returning? Would you mind to explain why?

Just a tip but you mind receive less nonserious phone calls if you give a few details on the deal you are offering.

All my regular guys that dredge in sea will be returning. a couple new guys in the sea did not do well and probably won't be returning. What I need are crew for my inland claims 60 miles from Nome. I found that I expected to much this year from new people at a remote location without my being with them and the costs for them were to much. I now only want guys for one month and I bought some more ATVs for them to rent. I still will not be with them much. The hardest part for me is finding the right people who can and will get along with one another. I don't take everyone who wants to go. I try to prevent as many people problems as I can. As far as what costs are for each guy, about $3500 for camp, 5 good gold claims and a ATV. Crew will pay their own fuel and food expenses. I will not hold their hands and Alaska is not for everyone. Don't even think about going if you expect to make money on the adventure. It's an adventure that you can find gold on. By the way I hope everyone watches this weeks (11-1) episode of Gold Fever on the Outdoor Channel. It is the first new episode of this year and shows Tom and Kia Massie learning to dive at our dive school, Southern Skin Diver Supply. I have seen a preview and it is an exceptional show. Steve Phillips 205-672-9310

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The show was good fun Steve, well done!

OP
OP
S

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
Tom may film up at my Casadepaga claims next summer. I am going to build another 6" dredge that will be easily moved to use up there. We already have two dredges up there and four at the sea operation.I will need to divert a little water to get to some gold I prospected this year or may just use high bankers at that spot. This year my health was not good and I didn't dredge but now I am healed up and diving again. I hope to be able to find my share next year. One of my guys really worked hard for four months in the sea. He had 400 hours underwater and found plenty gold. Spence was up for two months pushing 200 hours underwater and found good gold.

OP
OP
S

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
Spence on an abandoned bucket line dredge near one of my claims on Lower Willow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 148
OP
OP
S

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
This saw mill on one of my claims dated back to the gold rush and was the repair station for the bucket line dredges. Perry Massie found this nugget in the Casa with a metal detector on exposed bedrock. I have not used a detector much up there but Kelley Starkey found several hundred when he was there in the 1990s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    910.2 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 157
OP
OP
S

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
Some pendants I made with some of my Nome nuggets. I get bored waiting on June so I can go back to Nome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 135

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ssdsupply, those are really cool, did you make or buy the silver part?

OP
OP
S

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
No silver, the nuggets from Nome are about 21 karat and the rest of the pendant I build using various 14 karat wire and sheet.

OP
OP
S

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
This photo shows some of my six inch ocean dredges. I have four now. We dredge alone with no tender on top. If the dredge is set up right and the diver is competent the boring job of tender is eliminated. Several new dredgers have died in Nome over the past ten years and all had tenders who could not help them. If we used eight inch I probably would want helper because everything would be bigger and heavier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 135

MrTim4Gold

Sep 9, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I had the money I would take this life time opportunity! But lost my job..so sol for now!
And the reason the bush guys didn't return is they probably didn't mentally prepare for the rough outdoors for such a stretch of time! Its hard work..not a vacation!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beautiful dredges that you have there sir. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread