Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's raining and I'm daydreaming about the gold. I did some searches on this but didn't find what I wanted so tried to do it myself.

Lets say you get consistently 0.2 grams of gold out of a 5 gl bucket.

0.2 x five-5gl=1.0 gram

155-5gl buckets should produce a troy ounce of 31.10

41-5gl buckets =1 cubic yard
so approx 4 cubic yards of dirt will be processed. Divide by 4 =$300 per square yard (based on current spot of $1200)

Seems awfully rich. Did I mess up anywhere?:icon_scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Great thread. Goldenirishman, could you give more information on the classification system designed by "Chris" that you mentioned in your post?

Actually it's VERY simple. Chris came up with a large basket out of a freezer that fit perfectly into the top of a 20 Gal tote that you can get at Wally-World. He lined the inside of it with 1/4In hardware cloth and some thin ply (kind of like door skin material) It can handle 3-4 shovels full of materials instead of having to do it one shovels worth at a time. Really speeds up classifying. I'll see if I can get Chris to post a picture or two of it. Once you see how simple it is, you'll wnt one too!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a learn as I go process Bonaro. I'm retired and I've had my fill of 8 to 11 hour days. The vac would help but everything is illegal cept for small hand tools right now, so no sluice or trommel. Still, the more I learn the more gold I find and I just might get "lucky".

I am not current on Cali regs but I believe only dredging is closed. It's my understanding that you can still highbank and otherwise prospect if you are not in or near the river

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread