New project! Building a 6" trommel and have some questions......

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My friend Sal and I are each building 6" trommels to replace our highbanker classifiers. So far he's started his build using an old gas bbq as the base framework. I'm going to try something different and more compact. I've got the plan in my head and on paper so we'll see.

My question is, how much angle is best to start with for the 36" overall length long trommel tube with 12" of screen in the middle?
I'll test it, but having a starting point will make it easier to design the adjustable angle tube frame. Maybe 1-3"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All my stuff ends up somewhere between 7-10 degrees it seems. Make it adjustable and experiment. BTW, 6 inches is pretty small to process any volume.

OP
OP
mike(swWash)

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, 6" won't do mass production but I don't/can't dig as fast as I'd like. 55, over weight and out of shape puts a limit on me.
I'd love to go 8" but that size pvc or abs pipe is very hard or expensive to find. I may consider using corrugated drain pipe but that adds more weight and bulk. If 6" doesn't work out, I can always upsize later.

I've watched several youtube videos of 6" trommels in use and they seem to be able to run a fair amount of material for the size.

That's the fun of building your own stuff, adding to the pile of failures in the corner of my garage.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How is the build going? I just picked up some 8" plastic pvc? pipe at a local irrigation supply company, $12 for a 42" section :) Can't wait to get started on mine :D
Just in case you want to upsize ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread