Arizona gold?

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to assume you'll be driving the family car, not a member of any club, and that you don't know how to do research on unclaimed areas that are open for finding gold... so going with that assumption, I'm going to recommend you take your family up to Lynx Creek. It's open to the public, easily accessible with a car, and there have been many thousands of ounces pulled from that area over the past 100 years or more.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would have to second what azblackbird said. Lynx Creek is your best chance at getting some Az. gold when only here for a short duration on a holiday. It's a panning area, no power tools or sluices so you only need the basic hand tools. Metal detecting is allowed, but lots of trash targets. Digging to bedrock isn't difficult and good gold is still found there daily. It's at about 5,000 ft. in altitude and depending on the weather at that time might be a little cool out, but that shouldn't be a problem for somebody coming out of Colorado. Lots of info and maps available online. It's in the Prescott National Forest, so you can check that website for starters.

Depending on what part of Phoenix you will be in, the drive is usually less than 2 hours and less than 100 miles to the north. Easily accessible in any vehicle at most areas along the creek. Good place to go for the whole family and some chunky gold can be found. Dennis

OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the info guys. Wont need to ship my sluice early...lol. My brother lives in Mesa so it should be around a 2 hr drive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread