Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know about knees. Had back surgery 2 years ago and I guess I am one of the fortunate ones. Only minor pain and numbness/tingling. I can live with that. Hope you get all the answers you need. No matter what you will just find some way to get your gold. That's the way we get it done. Good Luck with it.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you get to retirement age. Its a whole body replacement. Hope things work out for the better.

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
Just don't get hooked on the pain pills. Live with the pain like our forefathers did.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I personally have not had it done, but.
My wifes good friend had it done and she after about 1 month and a half went back to zumba classes.
I know the postmaster of my town had it done and is way better and he is glad he had it done. Now he is on his feet and lifts stuff all day.
I know a guy that is having it done in a week, has his own ac heating company, and is just tired of all the pain and pills, so he says it has got to be better.
He also hikes,surfs in Cali,ect. I will know a little more in 1.5 months, or sooner.
Hope everything goes great though.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had my left hip done twice. First time when I was 25. I am 51 now and other than running I pretty much do whatever I want. I may do a few things differently, for the most part you just adapt I guess. Where there is a will there is a way to figure out how to do it. Don't let anyone tell you you can't.

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got relief from my knee pain by eating lots of raw fruits, vegies, and raw nuts, and seeds. I didn't want to go through the surgery thing, so started researching.
Anyone had one? If so how did it change your prospecting/mining? I'm reading no squatting or lifting over 40lbs. That changes mine quite a bit. How about kneeling? Getting tired of reading the put a fork in ya internet crud, want to know from real folks that do what I do. Thanks all

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New total knee last march. Never looked back. Pain is gone. Kneeling down on both knees will be uncomfortable, alot. Squating or a modified kneel on one knee works. Was in the woods 6 hours yesterday very hilly and rocky. A bit slower than I used to be (by choice) but at the end of the day pain free. Like no more drugs to get through the day. Yeah

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting replies! I have not had a knee replacement, I have had the cartilage removed from the inside of the left knee and had the ACL replaced in the same knee. I backpack down the mountain with a significant knee brace while loaded with 85 lbs of gear for a two week stay. Pain in the knee in the last year so I started doing some serious stretching exercises and Crunches. The Pain is gone, I have run on the knee maybe 5 times this year (very short distance but all out run) with no swelling so the exercise has really helped.

My almost 50 year old daughter just had one knee replacement. She was extremely fit before the surgery!! It is taking her a bit longer than she thought it would take to recover but as soon as she does she will have the second knee replaced. She carried a lot of body weight (~400 lbs) for many years and is now a size 9 so the lost weight and being very fit will help her and anyone.

So a full knee replacement - they pull all body tissue away from the bones and saw the knee joint out. Then the 'seat' the upper and lower portions of the joint into the upper and lower bones and then sew you back up. Heavy loading of the new knee (whatever heavy may be) will eventually cause one or both of the bone sections to wear and possibly the new joint as well (guess here on the joint wear). Once that happens then it needs to be replaced again. Same procedure just longer sections of metal to replace the sections of bone that are now gone.

So after the surgery just recover well by doing all of your physical exercise, then become extremely fit, loose body weight and use the knee wisely. Enjoy whatever you choose to do! I'm looking at a second shoulder surgery early next year and they are not fun but I want to reduce the pain that keeps me from using the shoulder as I would like to. Why do I need a second surgery? Because the Workers Comp Doctor that did the surgery did not have enough knowledge behind him to know how to do it better. Why did I not use my Own Orthopedic Surgeon that I had? The Work Comp people threatened me to not even see him. I did anyway and he told me I needed the best possible doctor to repair the shoulder. Lesson Learned! Get the Best Doctor for your surgery!!! It is your body, your life and the INSURANCE COMPANY DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU! They only care about money.

IMHO!.......................634bkpkr

PS I totally plan on going down that same NorCal Canyon Wall in 2019 carrying my ~ 85 lb backpack along with insurance policy in my left arm pit and enjoying the dickens out of myself.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minimal invasive is the best and total replacments are being done less as partial is definately coming to the forefront. Doing therapy PRIOR is absolutely mandatory and afterwards even more so. You will never be the same BUT consider where your at now?? Many friends done-some up to 3rd try because they did not do the pt because it hurt,well it's supposed to. I've been through pt 3 times in 5 years doing anything and everything to keep my knee as 2 ops already and 1 on the other. Been through SYNSVIC injection series 3 times in 10 years also and sure helped a lot.Lose extra weight as much as possible as knees take the brunt of every ounce x 4 due to design,so any loss really helps. One TOUGH decision and I wish ya all the luck in the world. Drugs sure help but addiction is possible. I quit for 5 days every year to check and no problems since 1980. Addictive personalities will definately have trouble-John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with John on the therapy! They've come a LONG way with it and it really will help in your recovery. The trick is to rebuild both muscle and mobility.

Avoid drugs as much as possible! You will find that therapy will get you to a point that you don't need them a LOT faster.

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys I appreciate the comments, needed to hear some realistic feedback. I have no doubt I'll be back at it, probably sooner then I should and slower then I'd like, lol. I Knew it was inevitable and coming, already had several ops, pt, and injections, reality is setting in thats it's happening now. Also waiting on surgical approval for second surgery on right shoulder (63bkpr you are correct "they are not fun") hopefully they wait a couple weeks before doing it. Both are from a work injury/accident so it's pretty much out of my hands, have to go where they tell me for the most part.

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys I appreciate the comments, needed to hear some realistic feedback. I have no doubt I'll be back at it, probably sooner then I should and slower then I'd like, lol. I Knew it was inevitable and coming, already had several ops, pt, and injections, reality is setting in thats it's happening now. Also waiting on surgical approval for second surgery on right shoulder (63bkpr you are correct "they are not fun") hopefully they wait a couple weeks before doing it. Both are from a work injury/accident so it's pretty much out of my hands, have to go where they tell me for the most part.

I have had a very different experience with my total right knee replacement done 3+ years ago. No relief of pain if anything worse and constant even at rest. Had it done by the VA in Atlanta. I have had it checked by the VA in Atlanta and Phoenix and was told it was perfect. Nothing wrong and no explanation for the constant pain. I use ibuprophen for the pain. All that said I can and do get down on my knees, with knee pads, to clean and vac bedrock. I tote buckets of dirt, 3 or half full 5 gallon ones a few days per week. I definitely am moving slower but still moving. I have DePuy hardware for what it's worth. Lowest bidder to VA I would guess. My rehab was interrupted for a couple of weeks but am not sure that relates to the pain. It is depressing at times but I try not to dwell on it much. Best of luck with your replacement.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive also be thinking of the VA for some badly needed fixing up of the ole joints BUT I keep hearing all kinds of bad reports on the VA so im on hold until something better comes along! most of the people that I know that have had any knee / back (ive got both) related repairs have been complaining of big pain and going in for another replacement. they said that the pain is just as bad as it was before the surgery. Most say if they knew then what they know now they wouldn't have had the surgery. I guess ill just have to wait until I cant take the pain anymore.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Step by step-joint by joint us ol'farts are slowly but surely becoming bionic. Think 6 Million Dollar man. I keep seeing in Popular Science mag(great military units this month) about exoskelaton modifications that have been developed. Latest units use motion to store power and then used on demand-think regenerative braking as a example. Will be cool when you can go mining and slip into a working unit and lift boulders,dig all day and never get tired of shoveling up that sweet oro puro :laughing7: We will rise up yet again Russau to fight another day-John

goldgit'r

Apr 18, 2011
Florence S.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be 60 yrs old in a few days and had no idea getting old was going to be this tough!
I've heard it said that getting old aint' for sissies and can say for a fact it is a true statement.:laughing7:

Wes

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have experience with that, but one way of getting around that is getting some younger prospector buddies to help do some of the work.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, there are two parts to the success of any Joint (Orthopedic) surgery - the patient being fit as possible before/after the operation and the quality of the doctor!

I've had two left knee surgeries both completed by very competent surgeons, at different times but they were/are in charge of the Orthopedic Surgery group at Stanford Hospital. I am still stomping around on those perfect surgeries and will be as exercise/stretches really help it a lot! The shoulder was completed by a Workman's Compensation Doctor of lesser stature/experience than my other Ortho doctors and hence my need for another surgery to my injured shoulder.

Even with work comp they have a list of doctors that are used by them. I suggest for anyone with a work comp injury to go online for the list, (contact work comp and ask for the list address) though it will take time to research the doctors in your area but they should all have online statements of their backgrounds.

Best of luck with your surgery!......................63bkpkr

ELDoradosau

Sep 27, 2014
CA. Motherlode, Foresthill
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4500, Fisher Gold Bug II, Gold Bug Pro and F-75
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have had both knees replaced. I can carry any weight I am capable of, I constantly kneel on them and get along very well with them. I can hike up and down mountains with much younger guys and they are in awe that I have two metal knees. One was done by the VA and the other was done by a private Ortho surgeon via workman's comp. Only limitations are no running and no jumping. Metal detecting with over 18" coils is a ***** as the knees do sound just like gold. Oh yea, I'm fast approaching 69 years old....... one knee is about 10 years old and the other is about 7, I am thinking they will outlast me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread