All Treasure Hunting
That's a man with a plan!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notice, lol in post.
Come on guys I might be a dumb newbie but even I know it would take at least 10 minutes.
I knew u knew....I was merely making the point for the thread. I agree it is cool that he did it from scratch and obviously has skills. Watching the video seeing the way the riffles are set up.....and how the sluice was running so fast and deep just and the take especially how large the gold was....just makes me cringe thinking of the fine gold he could have recovered. I have a feeling he knows as well and hopefully when he really prospects he uses a proper box. Unless he really is just doing it for fun.I personally would have more fun running a bazooka all day in that lush green northwest forest. With all my time spent sampling and running material.

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built my first (and only) sluice because I don't have the money to purchase (But would love a bazooka) out of wood. I got a little and I mean little color. I did better just classifying And panning and had a blast doing both. But I would love to take a week and just some tools and go deep into gold country and do it the our first prospectors did. With my age and health moving closer to that streak in the sky I want to experience and do it all. Live like you are dying is my goal these days.
If I ever get to California I would relish the idea of panning with all of you who latterly have gold in your back yards.
Good luck this winter to all that continue and refuse to give in to A little cold water and numb fingers.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say the better way to look at this is that an experienced prospector in the day may have done just this sort of thing, back in the day. Why carry something like a sluice which is awkward and heavy when he could make one in a half hour or so, as needed. Those same tools are part of the arsenal that would be used to build a cabin back in the day as well. To me that video is a taste of how things might have been 100+ years ago. Dennis

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I built my first (and only) sluice because I don't have the money to purchase (But would love a bazooka) out of wood. I got a little and I mean little color. I did better just classifying And panning and had a blast doing both. But I would love to take a week and just some tools and go deep into gold country and do it the our first prospectors did. With my age and health moving closer to that streak in the sky I want to experience and do it all. Live like you are dying is my goal these days.
If I ever get to California I would relish the idea of panning with all of you who latterly have gold in your back yards.
Good luck this winter to all that continue and refuse to give in to A little cold water and numb fingers.

If you ever get out this way PM me and I will take you out to the diggins.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe it's called a froe. Antique woodworking tool. Works good don't it.

That is exactly what it is. When i was a boy we used to go to Kentucky to help harvest my grandfathers crop in the hills of Harold KY. from time to time we would help him repair some of his buildings. the one i remember most was his old spring house that he still used. He had no electricity and died in 1999. I remember using a Froe ( most likely older than i was) splitting timber apart to make the wooden shingles on the roof of the spring house. Man, those were the days. We all slept in the living room where the old Coal stove sat to keep warm at night covered by home made quilts that were also most likely older than me several times over. Sure do miss him.

As a side note i recently contacted the gentelman who purchased that property (an entire mountain and surounding land) and he said i can come visit ANYTIME i want and can camp out there with my kids. it will be nice to show them where me, my father, and the rest of the Akers grew up. The old 2 room house that my dad was born in back in 1941 still stands to this day. They just dont make them like they used it. When i go, naturally ill take a pan with me, there TONS of creeks up there. the main one around that area is Toler creek.

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldenmojo,
Someday I will get out yer way and appreciate the offer.
Been think a lot lately of going off the grid and just pursuing life and all the things that I have wanted to do since I was a little boy back in the 60's.
What a bucket list I have and hope the big guy will give me the strength and time to complete it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions