A buck and a little gold

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I'd share a good week out in Siskiyou Country.

With deer season in full swing by mid October I took a week off from work for a little deer hunting and gold prospecting with the main intent of getting a little venison. About mid week I headed for the high country above Seiad Valley. About 3/4 of the way to the top of the mountain I was stopped in my truck by snow. I decided to make short mile or so loop hike further up the mountain. It turned out pretty good as I was able to take a nice 3 pointer (western count).

After a couple excited young loggers (who were also hunting and heard my shot) dragged the buck to the nearest road for me, I headed for camp down on the river.

After taking care of the buck and a good nights rest I took the next day off from hunting. We can get tags for 2 bucks in this neck of the woods. As I was camping in a large turnout along the highway and Klamath River, I enjoyed the next morning sunshine with a great breakfast and a little exploring of the large grave bar there. In the afternoon I went down to the exposed bedrock right below the paved turnout that has been "clean" of gold by so many for so long. In all of the cracks and depressions there was a little material. With just a pan, teaspoon and whisk broom I was able to find quite a bit of gold in these cleaned spots. Below is the gold from about 1 cup of material. I had numerous spots with cups of material and gold just like this photo.

All in all, it doesn't get much better than this week in the mountains and along the river. Amazing going from heavy snow and rugged clothes in the mountains one day to a tee-shirt and sunshine along the river the next.

Get out and have some fun.
Mike

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Way to double-up on your fun!

All the best,

Lanny

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Get out and have some fun. "
...yes. That.

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey i got my buck over there this year too!! Congrats on the three point

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Venison and gold out in the cold will keep ya from getting old. Cool COLD pics and great to see you having some fun as you work work and work more!! Kudos-John

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice turnout for a cup of material! Beautiful photos and I enjoyed the read! Thanks for sharing. -Luke

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From snow to sunny river bank . Meat in the cooler , gold in the pan and a beer to help
ponder the meaning of it all . Good times . :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread