New Guy

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I've been dinking around for a couple months looking on my own without much look. Just trying to stay off peoples claims, figure out the numerous rules for actually mining, and find someplace that I can mine and actually find some gold.

I'm in SW Oregon and was looking for someplace to run dirt in a highbanker when dredging season is closed. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome! I'm sure someone from your area will provide you with details of what you're after. Great folks on here from the west coast! -Luke

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got this today panning didn't work because of veteran's day so decided to go out and pan NCM_0323.JPG

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where exactly are you located?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
South Umpqua river between Myrtle Creek and the I-5 crossing downstream has a steady supply of fine gold

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to TNET.

See if there's any local clubs in your area that have claims.

Getting together with people that share the same interests, and ones that have been at it a while is a great way to get going.

All the best,

Lanny

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Figuring out what permits to get and what you can and can't do is daunting to say the least. I'm headed out this weekend to do some scouting around, I've got my eye on something that should be promising.

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Am I missing something as far as where gold is? I went and panned some deposits of gravel made during flood times and found gold in everything I've panned but then I go to the river and dig in and around rocks and found three flecks after an entire day...

Does it absolutely have to be on bedrock to locate gold? Where is gold more likely to lay on the downstream side of a large boulder or upstream from it?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is moved by fast water and will drop out anywhere it slows. Inside bends of the river, behind rocks and logs etc... If you look at a large rock in the river you will notice a pile up of water in front of it, it can drop there too. look for patches of larger cobbles in the river, this is where the water has scoured away the smaller and finer particles, you can find bigger gold there. The really fine flood gold is more easily moved by water and tends to get dispersed more widely, if fine enough it can be everywhere after a flood event.
Try pulling some moss off the rocks and pan the dirt trapped in it.
Dont just focus on one spot that seems promising, test everywhere. The most promising spot is one that has gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread