49.6 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I agree with DD! but there was a device that did something similar but instead of attracting non-ferrous metals , it attracted ferrous metals with a electro magnet that pulled this metals across a "sluice" thus leaving the lighter materials and gold to be washed free of scrap.i forgot what it was called. it didn't last !

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
The only gold I've EVER seen attracted to a magnet was the super fine stuff that happened to be sitting on magnetic sands and got trapped. That's the main reason it's always a good idea to go through your magnetic sands again before pitching them.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very fine gold which has been undisturbed for a long time in highly mineralized water can develop a crust or coating of ferrous material and that coating can be magnetically attractive.
If you could devise a way to electroplate of otherwise impart a iron coating then your idea may pan out.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any of yall figure out how to do this let me know and only me!!! We'll keep it our secret...

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Non ferrous metals are reactive to magnets, just not predictably. For instance if you drop a rare earth magnet into a thick copper tube, the magnet slowly glides to the bottom of the tube. Some scrap yards use rotating magnets to sort nonferrous metals from trash by placing them at the end of a conveyor. The plastic, foam, wire casings, etc fall normally off of the conveyor, but the nonferrous metals catch a ride on the rotating mangetic fields and are tossed up and over to a seconday chute. Food for thought.

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold is diamagnetic (repelled) it can be affected by induction with eddy currents just not as much as say silver I put a rare earth magnet 2"x1/2" with the poles on the sides on a dremel tool to alternate north south it would dramatically move a 1oz silver eagle but couldn't get the same affect from a gold nugget I could move it slightly when I floated it on water on a piece of Styrofoam so its only slightly diamagnetic I have heard of AC magnets attracting gold if a slug of copper was used on the end of the magnet, instead of repelling an eddy current was generated in the copper and it attracted the gold so I will probably try something like that. *-* something to do over the winter months.
Did find this video using magnets in a sluice box;

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this experiment to get them braincells working-put a gram off 100- in a black pan on a hot day in the sun. Use a credit card to spread it out evenly and move it around. The static energy created makes than gold jump around like spit on a griddle as it is attracted to the credit card. This is why when I made drywashers I always put a fine wire mesh on top of the Indian head cloth and under the riffles to recreate this effect and hold them miniscule microfines in place in addition to specific gravity-Fun stuff-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread