State of California has petitioned the Supreme court in Rinehart decision

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can the state legally involve the supreme court without an actual trial verdict to act upon? The appeals court simply said "no state, you must go back and allow the defendant to have his say and get a court decision."

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The State of California"
Indeed... what a state it's in, where the governance looks to limit your god given rights as an American Citizen.
Only vee kin tell you vat von can do mit zee water. Heil!
Martin Bormann would be so proud...

Keep up the good fight Rinehart!

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything to delay or prolong for money and control.

Your case is the important one that they didn't see coming. Keep up the good work

Everyone who can donate on the link in the first post to help him out.

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
If they started to allow permits for dredging back in California would they have a limited number of permits? Considering how prolonging the ban has been you might have to jump through a few hundred hoops in order to get that permit if they happened to allow dredging again.

Since I'm still a bit of a novice at mining overall and have never dredged a minute in my life, what would dredging bring to the community of miners? Besides amazing gold and income for quite a few miners what will it initially do?

Just curious on the whole idea of dredging as I would love to do some myself, but of course it could be a while till I get the chance to.

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they started to allow permits for dredging back in California would they have a limited number of permits? Considering how prolonging the ban has been you might have to jump through a few hundred hoops in order to get that permit if they happened to allow dredging again.

Since I'm still a bit of a novice at mining overall and have never dredged a minute in my life, what would dredging bring to the community of miners? Besides amazing gold and income for quite a few miners what will it initially do?

Just curious on the whole idea of dredging as I would love to do some myself, but of course it could be a while till I get the chance to.

At the moment that depends on how the cases go in San Bernardino and what the outcome of the settlement hearings produce.
If dredging comes back the Rinehart case will have the weight of the appeals court. That the state cannot materially interfere with how you commercially mine your claim

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s insane and full of errors the SEIR states No significant impacts on Salmon if best management practices are followed
and Fish & Game have a completed the permit and still no mining, its an out right ban on suction dredge mining.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
The state is running scarred now and is grasping at straws. They know that they have no right to control mining on federal lands and this is yet another ploy to pull the wool over the miners eyes in a hope that we as a whole will roll over and let them have their way. If this does end up going before the U.S. Supreme Court, the state will get slapped down hard.

like Jason said... How can the state kick it up to the State Supreme Court when no verdict has been rendered in the case to start with? Sounds to me like they're getting the cart before the horse all in an effort to scare Brandon into giving up.

OP
OP
Bnugget

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the support everyone, don't worry Give up is not in my vocabulary. I am in agreement we have the State running scared and their throwing s#*t at the wall and hoping it sticks. My attorney James is compiling our response and I'll have it posted on my site.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
They cannot limit the number of permits as that would be a prohibition for those who have federal claims and wish to develop their stream deposits with suction minning. They is a Hail Mary to try and stop the process, and make Brandon start over at the superior court. This is all or nothing for them, they will get their arse handed to them in a Premption trial and they know it. Soon as I get the first installment of my kids tution, I will be sending your attorney whatever I can scrape together.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
We should get the New 49ers to schedule a dredge in at the Klamath, to protest the illegal actions of the state, and donate all gold recovered to the legal fight.... JMHO

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Class action lawsuit.......................................

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FLETCHER
v.
PECK.
Fletcher v. Peck, 10 U.S. 87, 6 Cranch 87, 3 L.Ed. 162 (1810)

Supreme Court of the United States
February Term, 1810

No state shall pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts.

A bill of attainder may affect the life of an individual, or may confiscate his property, or may do both.
In this form the power of the legislature over the lives and fortunes of individuals is expressly restrained. What motive, then, for implying, in words which import a general prohibition to impair the obligation of contracts, an exception in favor of the right to impair the obligation of those contracts into which the state may enter?The state legislatures can pass no ex post facto law. An ex post facto law is one which renders an act punishable in a manner in which it was not punishable when it was committed. Such a law may inflict penalties on the person, or may inflict pecuniary penalties which swell the public treasury. The legislature is then prohibited from passing a law by which a man's estate, or any part of it, shall be seized for a crime which was not declared, by some previous law, to render him liable to that punishment. Why, then, should violence be done to the natural meaning of words for the purpose of leaving to the legislature the power of seizing, for public use, the estate of an individual in the form of a law annulling the title by which he holds that estate?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
JOG, can you explain what a "...bill of attainder..." is?

Never heard the term before.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The State wants the SC to reverse it opinion that the State does not have jurisdiction over the Feds....LOL...why would they do that?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very interesting read. Seems like a slam-dunk for Rinehart when and if the Supreme Court gets the call.

California should have to repay all of his court costs, pay a huge fine to boot, reimburse legal fees to every miner that's taken action against the State over this nonsense, pay restitution through back-pay to all miners whose annual income has been cut off because of all of this BS, etc. etc., so that the State of California never ever thinks to meddle with Federal Law again.

All the best,

Lanny

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've always been a big supporter of states rights, but in this
case Calif. has screwed the pooch...they're gonna lose, big time.
This is a Federal matter, and the state has no legal standing on
the matter as far as I understand.

Consider the precedents this is going to set....and not just in mining.

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bill of attainder (also known as an act of attainder or writ of attainder or bill of pains and penalties) is an act of a legislature declaring a person or group of persons guilty of some crime and punishing them without privilege of a judicial trial. As with attainder resulting from the normal judicial process, the effect of such a bill is to nullify the targeted person's civil rights, most notably the right to own property (and thus pass it on to heirs), the right to a title of nobility, and, in at least the original usage, the right to life itself. Bills of attainder were used in England between about 1300 and 1800 and resulted in the executions of a number of notable historical figures. However, the use of these bills eventually fell into disfavour due to the obvious potential for abuse and the violation of several legal principles, most importantly separation of powers, the right to due process, and the precept that a law should address a particular form of behaviour rather than a specific individual or group. For these reasons, bills of attainder are expressly banned by the United States Constitution as well as the constitutions of all 50 US states.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Consider the precedents this is going to set....and not just in mining.[/QUOTE]

also think of the power of this win in other states that are trying to copy Californias lead in trying to take our rights away! The Rinehart win will be a major stepping stone for all to follow! expect anything from these wacoenviromentalists and their puppets in politics!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread