Portable/compact sluice help!!!

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Both have their good and bad points. Metal is sturdy but weighs more while plastic is light but not as strong and can be subject to U.V. degrading the plastic over time. Nothing worse than having your sluice get busted up during the hike in to where you're going to be working. Kind of defeats the reason for hauling that weight in if you know what I mean. Metal sluices will have other parts besides the box that will need to be carried in as well. Riffles, matting, etc. The Le Trap that Russ mentioned is a one piece unit so the box is the only weight as the riffles are molded in. The Le Trap also has a very good reputation for how well it catches gold of all sizes.

Not knowing how much experience you have in understanding how a sluice really works, all I can do is to remind you that you should let the conditions dictate the equipment needed to work the materials instead of allowing the equipment to dictate which materials you can run. A sluice that will allow for a couple of different setups would be best. My sluice allows for riffles to be used or not as well as several different types of matting. Which matting I use depends on what kind of materials I'm working in at the time. Of course I'm not backpacking into our dig site so weight is not an issue.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the smaller Bazookas would be hard to beat. For backpacking I the Supermini.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For backpacking you want something light and dependable. I picked up an Angus Mackirk Recon 2 this year after a friend showed me his. I have lots of different sluices but wanted one that I could throw in the backpack and carry for days at a time when we are out hiking around in the deep woods here. The recon works great but you want the right amount of water and flow and it will have to be adjusted for different types of material depending on how you classify for the best recovery. The Bazooka's and the aluminum sluices are good sluices but the Recon 2 is a backpacking sluice. Check out their website and they do actually have one called the backpacker also. Recon II Sluice - Angus MacKirk

Here's a pic of my grandson using ours this summer.

20140719_092120.jpg

OP
OP
E

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your response. I do understand how a sluice works and have read tons about them. I have never run a sluice just panned. So my experience is none with a sluice. That I is why I am in the need of assistance. I have to hike in to the east fork of the San Gabriel river so I need something portable and not to heavy and extremely effective. I will be taking a young person with me so I would like them to learn and have fun (I want to learn too). Thanks again

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You wouldn't go wrong with any of the sluices suggested above. Just depends on your preference. Good luck and have a great time. Gold is still where you find it no matter what tool you use to find it.

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know you want a backpack model, My self I have went through so much gear in recent months until I got the Gold Hog Raptor highbanker, If you want something small then you should get the gold hog mini Mini Highbanker I am sure you can pack it in a full size hiking pack... Only thing is you will need a little electric pump and a battery, Think all and all you could pack everything right about 40 pounds and you will trap very good gold with this unit and don't need to classify so that will help to recover gold faster...

If that is too much for you then just get any raw sluice body, you can get them on ebay for $50-$60 for the sluice shell, then order Hog mats and you won't be disappointed... IMO I think they are the best mats out there...

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really like the Le Trap sluice for what you are planning!

I second the LeTrap. It is very light, easy to carry. You can slowly feed it without classifying and it still catches the fine Colorado gold. Hand feed it, even with clay, and you get the gold. The drop riffles are great.

I have a Bazooka also and I love it, but it is heavy and more expensive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread