Santa Fe

Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
Howdy all....just found out that I will be going to a conference in Santa Fe next year in November. This gives me about a year to plan for some gold panning, which living in Memphis, does hot exist. Any ideas where to go? I appreciate any advice and yes, I am willing to trade out some Memphis BBQ for some serious direction...(i actually compete in the world championships here in Memphis)....i have a year...help?

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gene you are a man after my heart! Memphis BBQ is the NAZ!!

There used to be a campground on the old placers on the Rio Grande north of Santa Fe that allowed prospecting for a fee. It's on one of the Native Grants and there is gold to be had there. Money will have to change hands but after you pay they will treat you as a guest.

There are other areas with some gold nearby (nearby in southwestern terms is 120 miles one way). All of those options would require quite a bit of research or getting permission from the land owners. For that you might consider investigating the upper Pecos placers, the private Grant lands around Golden or the club claims in the Monzano mountains.

You do know that Santa Fe can be really cold in November? It's almost 7,000 feet in elevation and the mountains above it are more than 10,000 feet. It's the southern end of the Sangre de Cristo mountains.

Brrrrrr - ice panning. :sad5:

Heavy Pans

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all....just found out that I will be going to a conference in Santa Fe next year in November. This gives me about a year to plan for some gold panning, which living in Memphis, does hot exist. Any ideas where to go? I appreciate any advice and yes, I am willing to trade out some Memphis BBQ for some serious direction...(i actually compete in the world championships here in Memphis)....i have a year...help?

A quick googlie says Shelby county in Memphis. Also coker creek. Also Monroe county.

I remember the burning of old man gloom in santa fe when I was a kid. I'll never forget that.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe if you ask real nicely Clay will have the New Mexico claims map up and running on his site so you can use that to start your research. Knowing where others are working is a good way to find places to work yourself as well as prevent you from stepping on a fellow miners toes.

And Gene... Like Clay said, it's cold up there in Santa Fe at that time of year! Pack the winter woolies and the insulated gloves as well as your pans!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh man! I shudder to think what my printer would look like after printing out THAT E-mail!!!!! If you look at my location Gene, you'll see that I'm in ARID-zona. I have been in Santa Fe in the winter and I can tell you that "Colder than a well diggers a$$ in the Klondike" is very close to the truth.

Now if your conference was in say Tucson we could really set you up! Between myself and AzViper we could have you on gold in minutes! (For the paltry sum of a big bucket of Q of course! ;) )

OP
OP
Gene Slater

Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
Lol Clay. Didnt think he wanted to post a mailing address on the website. I have mailed Q before.

OP
OP
Gene Slater

Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
Golden, might be making a trip to Scottsdale to see a buddy out there eventually. That eventually might be changed to soon. I will bring the Q.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Gene but I'm on the other end of the state. To give you an idea of where I'm at, look at a map of Arizona and go to the very most south east corner of the state and find a border town called Douglas. Now.... Follow Hwy 80 east towards New Mexico for about 20 miles or so. We're surrounded by lots and lots of NOTHING!!! Off the back deck here I look into both old and new Mexicos. Great night skies though as there's only a half dozen houses within view.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread